to think a professsional woman would never say this about another woman? [Love Actually]

(50 Posts)
ZBWRDSM Fri 22-Jul-16 23:20:50

In the film Love Actualy the following conversation takes place between the Prime minister (played by Hugh Grant and his (female) personal private secretary Annie. The character Natalie was played by Martine McCutcheon (not model thin but not obese by along chalk).

Prime Minister: You know Natalie who works here?
Annie: The chubby girl?
Prime Minister: [Squeak/ Ooo ] - would we call her chubby?
Anne: I think there's a pretty sizeable arse there, yes Sir. Huge thighs.

AIBU to think this was obviously written by a man?

Although women may have such bitchy thoughts privately the propsect of them voicing them publicly in professional relationship context is virtually none existent?

echelon Fri 22-Jul-16 23:26:17

I actually remember seeing that part and being like confused at it too. Unprofessional, definitely. I get that it's a comedy and supposed to make us snigger, etc but in real life that would be totally out of order.

PuntasticUsername Fri 22-Jul-16 23:30:29

Yabvu to have watched that dreadful film.

Kalispera Fri 22-Jul-16 23:31:59

It's nowhere near as bad as Emma T's 'oh you've called at a terrible time. Which doesn't mean I'm not terribly concerned that your wife just died.'

Least realistic dialogue between siblings ever.

PuntasticUsername Fri 22-Jul-16 23:33:14

Here's an excellent summing up of all the reasons why it should be sealed in concrete and dumped in the North Sea: jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-actually-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-al-1485136388

ShowOfHands Fri 22-Jul-16 23:34:47

They aren't siblings though. Emma T and Hugh Grant are siblings. I didn't find that conversation unrealistic. I thought it was quite a good example of foot in mouth, cringy type stuff we all say when flustered.

hownottofuckup Fri 22-Jul-16 23:35:58

The bum/thigh bit yes, very unrealistic.
The Emma T bit not so much. I talk quicker then I think when speaking to DBro, he knows this and doesn't mind.

QueenLaBeefah Fri 22-Jul-16 23:40:08

The whole film is crap. But no, I can't imagine that conversation ever happening.

FastWindow Fri 22-Jul-16 23:42:44

Good evening kali smile

But, we do understand it's pretend? Intended to highlight the real issue of misogyny in politics? And provoke discussion (here, 13 years after the film was released)

YABU to have referenced such an old film to illustrate your point. grin

MaisieDotes Fri 22-Jul-16 23:49:41

It was just a way of showing that he fancies Martine McC's character and he was uncomfortable with her being referred to as chubby.

It is a weird scene though, I agree.

Emma Thompson is great in that film, but my favourite is Rowan Atkinson's jewellery salesman (and flight passenger).

Scarydinosaurs Fri 22-Jul-16 23:51:35

The whole film is shit. I hate the script. The female voices are rarely believable- clearly written by a man who doesn't actually understand women.

Atlas15 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:55:19

PuntasticUsername
That made me laugh, thanks

MunchCrunch01 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:56:36

I hated the Keira/Andrew Lincoln and the kid love story when his mum had just died but i loved rowan Atkinson, and the Emma t/Alan r bit. Still a good cheesy film

KitKats28 Fri 22-Jul-16 23:56:41

I've never seen the film, but for fuck's sake let's not pretend that none of us have never snarked on another woman for the size of her arse. Bollocks.

UmbongoUnchained Fri 22-Jul-16 23:57:25

Aww I love this film. It's my drunk film.

QueenLaBeefah Fri 22-Jul-16 23:59:16

No, I've never snarked on another woman for the size of her arse.

PinkyofPie Sat 23-Jul-16 00:02:13

It's an awful sexist objectifying film and the Jezebel article above explains exactly why.

I still can't get past poor Martine McCutcheon being described as fat when she very clearly is completely thin.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 23-Jul-16 00:03:33

Oh for gods sake it's a film.

PinkyofPie Sat 23-Jul-16 00:04:44

I've never seen the film, but for fuck's sake let's not pretend that none of us have never snarked on another woman for the size of her arse. Bollocks.

hmm

It may surprise you that some people on here aren't nasty twats. I have never done this, and have never heard a woman do this. Sorry for the life you must live!

BoGrainger Sat 23-Jul-16 00:05:20

So we can only discuss themes and stereotypes that happen in real life?

PinkyofPie Sat 23-Jul-16 00:05:30

Oh for gods sake it's a film.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that popular culture has a massive effect on people's real life thinking though

squoosh Sat 23-Jul-16 00:06:42

I clicked on this thread to see if someone had posted a link to that jezebel post. I just knew it would be within the first ten posts!

squoosh Sat 23-Jul-16 00:08:16

I know objectively that Love Actually is shite, but if it's Christmas time and I'm feeling a bit sentimental and there's wine..............well I'll happily watch it!

squoosh Sat 23-Jul-16 00:09:42

I'm not gonna lie. This is my main motivation.

PinkyofPie Sat 23-Jul-16 00:09:52

Love Actually almost redeems itself a smidge with the only fantastic and chillingly real scene in the whole movie - when Emma Thompson's character finds out her husband is cheating before her children's nativity, slinks off to her bedroom to cry a few tears and returns with a big smile on her face to support her kids. That scene makes me weep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now