To ask you if it's rude to be late to church or miss church?

(22 Posts)
Onthedowns Fri 22-Jul-16 13:12:12

We are at wedding today my 5 month d son is ill and have had to take him to the doc. My DH has already gone as he is usher however I am running late as have had to drop children to parents then finish getting ready, is it bad taste to turn up late or probably in this case after church service? We are going to reception after which is very expensive to my knowledge

RNBrie Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:01

It's fine. Just turn up when you can. They probably won't even notice you missed the service unless it's a tiny wedding grin

DerelictMyBalls Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:08

I'm sure the bride and groom will understand! Just slip in quietly so nobody notices.

Hope your little one is better soon.

JackieAndHyde4eva Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:26

How late will you be? If more than 5 minutes i would just wait outside in the car or if there is a porch or hall.

EmpressOfTheVaginaDentata Fri 22-Jul-16 13:14:27

With a good reason like that I'd have thought it was fine to be late, presumably your DH will have explained why? I hope your son's OK.

NeedACleverNN Fri 22-Jul-16 13:15:01

Yes just slip in and sit as far as you can at the back without making anyone move.

You should be unnoticed

Okay377 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:17

Don't worry, just get there when you can. Slip in at the back if the service has started or just wait for everyone to come out and join the group then. Hope your DS feels better.

Camembertie Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:36

Gosh I was at a Church wedding at the weekend and as there were children people were in and out at the time and no one batted an eyelid. As long as you don't clatter in during the vows you'll be fine grin

Hope ds better soon

Huldra Fri 22-Jul-16 13:21:42

Slip in at the back if you can. If it's half way through and the door closed then better to wait outside. You wouldn't want to risk getting to the part where the congregation is asked if they know of any reason why the couple can't get married .. the heavy wood doors crash open and you come strutting in grin

People either not notice, not care and understand if you can't attend the entire thing.

Porcupinetree Fri 22-Jul-16 13:25:12

My husband and I both developed a horrendously bad vomiting bug half way through one of my best friend's wedding, we had to leave early both looking very green. She did forgive us.

Cherylene Fri 22-Jul-16 13:26:43

Avoid making a Grand Entrance grin

Onthedowns Fri 22-Jul-16 13:33:36

Thanks I think I might wait until it's finished as I am so late, no children at wedding and yes DH has explained!i think your right they won't notice!

GeoffreysGoat Fri 22-Jul-16 13:33:43

Stand outside till you hear singing

Cherylene Fri 22-Jul-16 13:36:09

The door will probably be open at this time of the year, so easy to slip in and sit at the back. Then join DH after.

LifeIsGoodish Fri 22-Jul-16 13:45:35

I've slipped in after the wedding has started. The church was very full and I had to walk down the nave quite a few rows before I found a space at the end of a pew (someone budged up for me, I didn't want to cause a disturbance by making people stand up to let me in).

I had been meant to be very near the front (good friend of the groom) but I'd got lost delivering the cake to the reception. B&G did not noticemy late entry. Their attention was focused elsewhere! Though MofG was not pleased with me having missed the vows <shrug>

One thing I would say, though, is wait at the back of the church if the vows have already begun or if they have started processing back to the doors.

Hope your LO is OK.

SquidgyRedBall Fri 22-Jul-16 13:49:02

If it was me I would wait out outside and listen for a hymn.

Imagine walking in when they say 'does anyone know any reason why these two should not be joined in holy matrimony'

Actually, do they even say that any more?

Ifailed Fri 22-Jul-16 13:53:54

I'd wait in the nearest pub, but then I'd probably do that for the entire service.

The declarations - which is the bit about does anyone know any reason why this couple should not marry is done right at the beginning of the service.

It is fairly normal for guests to rock up late for a wedding and as long as you slide in quietly no one will bat an eyelid. I officiated at one wedding where one set of guests turned up an hour late and missed the whole thing.

JellyBelly89 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:59:28

In my church if you turn up later than the bride you don't get in. I would just go after the service to the reception.

blueskyinmarch Fri 22-Jul-16 14:07:49

I would go up to the door and go in if they are singing. Otherwise wait outside for them to come out.

Huldra Fri 22-Jul-16 15:37:32

Enjoy the reception smile

Lules Fri 22-Jul-16 15:43:00

jelly what a strange rule! If it had been my wedding I'd have felt really bad if people had travelled a long distance and then were kept out because they were slightly late.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now