To complain about neighbours....

(17 Posts)
Banana99 Thu 21-Jul-16 21:07:52

Son and girlfriend living in a caravan on their drive.
To be honest I let it go for a while but it does seem to be a permenantly arrangement. They are renters so I don't know how they get away with it.
There is also now a lot of rubbish generally around their house. Everyone else owns their homes and there is a lot of elderly people and it's a total eyesore. They are now having a lot of friends hanging around outside swearing and sitting on people's cars (they are in their 20s but these friends are all very young).

Am I right it's illegal - I would have left if it if I thought it was temporary but been 6 months now and no sign of change.

Fair enough to complain about antisocial behaviour... Yanbu

TheBouquets Thu 21-Jul-16 22:28:05

Why are they living in a caravan on their own driveway. Seems strange to be renting a house and living in a caravan

possum18 Thu 21-Jul-16 22:29:06

Totally illegal to use it as a permanent residence without planning consent, registration as a permanent dwelling and the payment of council tax on the dwelling.
You'd need proof they are living inside it permanently though I'm sure they'd just say it's temporary.
As for the rubbish...etc that's a separate issue which I would complain to their agent about and see if they will come and do an impromptu inspection (they have to give them 24 hours notice to enter the property so they may hide all evidence before the visit. You could always suggest they 'drive by' to see the external mess and living arrangements)

Shizzlestix Thu 21-Jul-16 22:31:40

Parents living in the rented house, TheBouquets, one imagines.

This would give me the rage. Can you check Land registry, find the landlord and then talk to them or agent? The younger friends hanging round would annoy me, it's antisocial behaviour and you have the right to quiet enjoyment.

Onesieisthequeensselfie Thu 21-Jul-16 22:31:45

What bouquet said

TheBouquets Thu 21-Jul-16 22:33:23

Disregard the above. Just realised that you are talking about your neighbours having their son and his girlfriend living in a caravan on their driveway.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 21-Jul-16 23:03:32

Definitely try and find who they rent through and complain to them... I bet theyve not got landlords permission

Banana99 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:07:58

How temporary is allowed though? It's been about 6 months and they were in the House before that - I suppose if I complain and then they don't move then that is proof it's more permenant.

TheBouquets Thu 21-Jul-16 23:15:08

You might be able tog et the Landlord's details by going on the local Council's website and searching for register of private landlords. I don't know if all councils do that but worth a try.

possum18 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:17:08

I remember a neighbour of ours growing up did this and it got messy involving the council, from what I remember it's legal to sleep in a caravan on your own land, but not to live or reside within it, so if meals are being prepared or served inside or if bathroom facilities are being used...etc it's not allowed without residential permission from the local authority. The council can issue an eviction notice after 28 days of continued occupancy. In the case growing up they argued that they were in the process of demolishing and rebuilding their house and so were granted temporary (2years) permission to reside in the caravan.

possum18 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:18:49

Also even if it is temporary, they need the land owners permission even for one night, does the landlord know?

Banana99 Thu 21-Jul-16 23:19:36

I doubt they are preparing food etc in there and there is no water supply.
Not their own land though! I think it's just to get them out of the main house.

WiddlinDiddlin Fri 22-Jul-16 01:31:39

I'd complain about the bits that are actually causing me trouble - them sleeping in a caravan wouldn't be causing issues but noise and people hanging about outside and rubbish, I WOULD complain about htat.

I am heavily biased though, I did live in a caravan on my mothers drive for a while - my sister moved back home, it was a two bed bungalow, we were 16 and 18 and no WAY were we sharing a room.

House was owned though and we did not have people hanging about outside or creating rubbish or anything like that, it was just a temporary extra bedroom.

expatinscotland Fri 22-Jul-16 02:10:01

I'd find out who the LL is.

OOAOML Fri 22-Jul-16 08:08:08

You don't need a permanent water supply though - we had a touring caravan when I was growing up; you attach a big water container to the side. There's also chemical toilets - are you seeing them empty that regularly?

Littlecaf Fri 22-Jul-16 09:09:34

6 months isn't temporary in planning terms - report it to your councils Planning Enforcement team, it's exactly the sort of thing they can deal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now