To move a legally parked car

(20 Posts)
NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 14:52:18

So yesterday I moved my fully legally parked car to cater for someone else's preferance.

It was not in the street I live I was visiting family and the person who asked me to move the car is known to me and has never mentioned or given any impression of an additional need.

I do have significant mobility issues and I'm 33 weeks pregnant and was accompanied by 2 small children who are both BB holders.

Under normal circumstances or in my own street I would have told him to fuck off but for some reason I didn't and now I think I should have done

NarcyCow Thu 21-Jul-16 14:54:46

I think life is too short to be worrying about it at this stage!

PotteringAlong Thu 21-Jul-16 14:55:41

So someone asked you nicely and you (nicely) agreed? What's the issue?

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:18

I'm only pondering because I'm bored and have nothing else to do and cannot be arsed to pick up the remote control to put the TV on

PotteringAlong Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:26

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/2688838-No-Drama-Mumsnet-threads-you-havent-started

You need this thread!

KoalaDownUnder Thu 21-Jul-16 14:56:49

Well, what reason did he give? Surely that's relevant.

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 14:59:10

No issue I just think I pandered to someone's nonsence, I wouldn't dream of asking the same thing I think it's ridiculous,

They did not so much give a nice and polite request it was more 'move your car I need to park there' so an order.

And I do think I was unreasonable to pander to nonsence

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 15:00:00

He wanted to park in front of his house koala

PhloppysFonics Thu 21-Jul-16 15:04:24

No you shouldn't have moved but we all get caught off guard sometimes.

It was a nice thing to do and hopefully the neighbor appreciated it.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 21-Jul-16 15:05:24

My neighbour is like this. Fortunately he has to live with himself more than we do so, karma.

Doggity Thu 21-Jul-16 15:07:37

I did the same once, despite being a blue badge holder myself and I seethed for days at my lack of assertiveness.

PhloppysFonics Thu 21-Jul-16 15:08:14

Oh just read the pp so mine doesn't make sense now.

Next time you visit be prepared!

99GBPChargeToUseMyPostsJournos Thu 21-Jul-16 15:13:54

Was it a disabled space? That's a tricky one, as disabled spaces are provided in the basis that someone that lives there needs it - but they are allowed to be used by anyone with a blue badge. So he may see it as his space. And YABU to dismiss his needs must because he hasn't shared them with you. Not u to park there, but he is not u to want a disabled space provided for his use (if that is the case). But you would have been perfectly within your rights to stand your ground

Can you please just hang on a moment, I have to get a splinter out of my arse...

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 21-Jul-16 15:17:31

You wouldn't have been unreasonable to refuse, no. But then again you weren't unreasonable to move either.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 21-Jul-16 15:27:06

In that case, you were nice to move!

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 15:31:12

No it was not a disabled space it was just normal road side parking no dropped curb or anything

AdjustableWench Thu 21-Jul-16 15:48:07

If your kids have a BB and you had the kids and the badge with you, I think you'd be pretty reasonable to refuse to move and put the badge up, even though you weren't in a disabled space. Gets the message across that your needs are greater than the neighbour's.

Can you aim to park in the same place next time you're visiting those family members? Maybe today or tomorrow? Maybe every day for a month?

I don't normally go looking for a fight but I have no time for people who think the public road outside their house should be reserved for their car only (and I live in a road with a lot of competition for parking).

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 21-Jul-16 15:50:35

I'm sorely tempted to but
I feel so crappy an sicky that even tho I fancy a cup of tea and to watch a film I cannot foresee me moving any time soon

AdjustableWench Thu 21-Jul-16 16:18:28

Ah, sorry you feel so crappy. I hope you'll feel better soon. Is there anyone around who can make you a cup of tea and put a DVD on? I would offer, but I'm probably too far away sad.

RosieSW Thu 21-Jul-16 16:47:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now