Not to tell my boss I'm depressed?

(7 Posts)
startingtolooklikemother Thu 21-Jul-16 13:28:15

I don't know what to do, stuck between rock and hard place

I am suffering with depression and desperately don't want to tell my employer. There are lots of redundancies at the moment and general getting rid of dead wood reorganisation

I'm in the middle of a key project and have made a couple of silly mistakes which is very unlike me (one of the lively side effects is lack of concentration) my boss has had a meeting with me and expressed her "dissapointment" in me. This has made me ponder if I should tell them

If I do then I might be the next name removed from the org chart due to "reorganisation" but if I don't then they won't understand why I am how I am

It should be noted that some days I'm much worse than other days and I'm getting CBT. I've also booked to see doctor tomorrow to get some anti depressants, thought I was coping but I'm obviously not

cjt110 Thu 21-Jul-16 13:43:48

flowers I am in the same boat as you. Am suffering severe depression and anxiety. Have been on a stress course and am awaiting referral for counselling. I am very up and down, and explosive too. It would help a lot for my boss to know, but then again, I don't want my private things discussing.

startingtolooklikemother Thu 21-Jul-16 13:55:27

I am sorry that we are both in the same boat but it is of comfort to me that I'm not alone (I hope for you to)
Worst thing is the complete inconsistent of it, one day being ok and the next I feel it's a miracle getting to work

Sonders Thu 21-Jul-16 13:57:59

I've had depression for all of my adult life, and horrible anxiety for the past few years. Sometimes I've told my employer, sometimes I haven't - I could generally tell by the company culture whether or not they'd be supportive.

But. If your job is on the line, you should tell someone. I know it feels embarrassing/humiliating that sometimes you need help, but it's better to be vulnerable and employed when you need the money.

Funnily enough I've been made redundant twice myself, both employers were ones I did not tell!

Niloufes Thu 21-Jul-16 14:13:22

Its going to be difficult but you need to be upfront about your condition to your employer. Worrying about what work will say will not help your depression, you need to free yourself of that worry and get on with getting better.

redhat Thu 21-Jul-16 14:14:49

You have far more protection if you are up front about your condition.

EnterFunnyNameHere Thu 21-Jul-16 14:22:18

It's a difficult conversation to have, having been through similar. But I found it a bit easier once it was a bit more open, in that people knew what was going on and why my concentration was off. Also, having had mental health issues coincide with redundancy / reshaping before I found it reassuring to know that when my employer was looking at my performance they knew there was extenuating circumstances for any off days, rather than them thinking I wasn't invested in my work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now