To feel it's not really appropriate for counsellor to be sharing her political views on social media

(12 Posts)
purplemoonlight Wed 20-Jul-16 16:37:13

These are not her personal accounts, but rather her Twitter and Facebook set up especially for work. She is constantly sharing her political views on the E.U. and the government. AIBU to think it isn't appropriate?

SunnySomer Wed 20-Jul-16 16:41:51

Why not? If she's self-employed surely she can post what she wants. Might be naive, as she may well lose clients as a result.

purplemoonlight Wed 20-Jul-16 16:51:13

Well yes, of course she can smile but surely counsellors have a professional body?

cannotlogin Wed 20-Jul-16 16:57:47

It is, as yet, an unregulated profession. Good counsellors will self regulate but know you can get away with murder. My ex husband is awful and relies on the fact people don't ask to see registrations etc. He claims to be a psychotherapist but never passed the course. He is a counsellor but ignores accepted guidelines. Be careful when choosing as it's a minefield. My apologies to good counsellors and therapists out there - I know you are not all like my ex.

purplemoonlight Wed 20-Jul-16 16:58:19

Good grief, how scary shock

Birdsgottafly Wed 20-Jul-16 17:24:48

It depends on what she's posting and if on it she declares that she's a member of the BACP.

You'd have to give an example, tbh.

2cats2many Wed 20-Jul-16 17:31:35

Good counsellors are acreddited to or members of a professional body such as the BACP or UKCP. They will adhere to a set of professional guidelines and a code of ethics.

What is the counsellor posting that is so offensive?

purplemoonlight Wed 20-Jul-16 17:34:04

It's not offensive. I just feel it's inappropriate. A lot of stuff about how leaving the E.U. is bad, a lot of stuff about how much she hates the Conservative party, at least two posts a week. It would be OK for a private account but as its one linked specifically to her counselling practice it seems inappropriate - like she's pushing an agenda.

2cats2many Wed 20-Jul-16 17:36:04

Is she your counsellor?

purplemoonlight Wed 20-Jul-16 17:38:00

She was ...

Idliketobeabutterfly Wed 20-Jul-16 17:39:07

I had an author I followed doing this on her author page despite her having a personal account too. She quickly removed it when she realised she'd upset her readers. I wasn't too bothered but it seemed the strength of her convictions was fine until it affected business.

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 20-Jul-16 17:40:08

It is inappropriate (and those are my opinions too!) Her personal opinions on anything should be off the table as she is meant to be a neutral figure. However as others have said she's likely to find out her mistake when the work dries up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now