to not like jokes about me being pregnant?

(11 Posts)
Isawahatonce Tue 19-Jul-16 19:38:27

Since I have been in my current relationship, my DB has taken it upon himself to make 'jokes' implying that I'm pregnant i.e. I bring DP round to DM's house - 'ooh, it's an announcement, she's pregnant', that sort of thing. He knows that I have no intention of getting pregnant anytime soon. Today, in conversation, I said something about eggs hatching and he said 'I told you she was pregnant'. I know he means it all as a joke and he doesn't really think I'm pregnant, he's just being stupid but AIBU to think it's not right to make jokes implying that you think a woman's pregnant? Because my DM is clearly on his side and I know he won't apologise because he's determined he's in the right. I know he didn't do it on purpose but I just wish he'd accept that it's not a nice thing to say and apologise.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 19-Jul-16 19:40:58

That would piss me off.

NewNameNotTheSame Tue 19-Jul-16 19:43:29

Just give him a stone cold look and ask what his obsession with you being pregnant is all about. I don't find it funny at all. For all the knows you could have fertility issues. If that's the only banter hes got then blaaaaddy hell.

Next time he does it, say "Oh dear, db, can't you think of a new joke? Because that one is getting rather boring now, you know!' Delivered with a fake-sympathetic smile and a head-tilt.

Isawahatonce Tue 19-Jul-16 19:45:28

oh, I'm afraid I've mentioned that it's not a nice thing to say so it's a full-blown argument now..

AliceScarlett Tue 19-Jul-16 19:46:15

Weird... What's his preoccupation with it?

Arfarfanarf Tue 19-Jul-16 19:46:35

"You realise you are basically obsessing about whether i am having unprotected sex or not? That's a bit creepy coming from my brother. I do wish you'd stop thinking about my sex life. "

But i am a bit of a cow. You may not want to be so mean grin

KellyBoo800 Tue 19-Jul-16 19:49:09

My oldest brother does this. Even went so far as to comment on a photo on my Facebook with it last year, visible to all my colleagues I was friends with (luckily they believed me, I was up for promotion at the time!).

Me and DH have been TTC for almost a year now but I haven't told anyone in my family apart from my brothers lovely girlfriend (I don't think she's told him because he would be sensitive enough to stop the comments if he knew) but every time he says it now she gives him a slap on his leg and tells him to stop. He's slowly getting the idea.

Sorry I have no words of wisdom but I completely agree it's annoying and inappropriate and not at all funny! I'd just ask him why he's so interested in your sex life and that might shut him up!

MiddleClassProblem Tue 19-Jul-16 19:50:38

I'd just start doing it back to him with something

I like Arfarfanarf's suggestion - but then I am a bit evil!

DonkeyOaty Wed 20-Jul-16 12:01:11

So your Mum doesn't discourage him from making comments? That's even more yukky. Bet there's a history of you being the butt of "family jokes" and no doubt you're "very sensitive" too

I would say something like "please stop making comments about my fertility , its not appropriate". If he continues then you'll need to consider seeing him less

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now