to buy a ladies' parasol and use it?

(19 Posts)
OohMavis Tue 19-Jul-16 14:09:16

In my mind I'm going to look as elegant and sweat-free as Kate Middleton. In reality I'm nearly nine months pregnant and the size of a whale.

But seriously, why don't we use parasols anymore? Why are they reserved for patios and prams (and the odd goth)?!

I'm buying one. I'm going to look ridiculous. And I don't care.

sycamore54321 Tue 19-Jul-16 14:14:36

Good for you! I live near a large Korean community and the women and girls there frequently use parasols in any kind of sunlight. Often with sun hats as well with huge peaks. They are right and so are you. Strikes me as well that the right parasol would be easier to store in your handbag when indoors etc than a sunhat - you are inspiring me to perhaps go shopping for one.

You probably know this already but you are more prone to sun burn and sun damage while pregnant too.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 19-Jul-16 14:16:10

When I was in SE Asia I had an umbrella like the local women. Bloody sensible if you ask me. And shade, a hat and sun screen. Former Goth.

littlejeopardy Tue 19-Jul-16 14:16:56

I have a parasol that is currently decorating a corner of the bedroom ceiling. Oddly it is from Korea. Maybe I should get it down and use it properly

WorraLiberty Tue 19-Jul-16 14:17:06

She looks like she's just jumped out of a cocktail.

OohMavis Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:03

It is common sense! So why don't we use them? It's silly.

I can't wait to saunter along on the school run smugly twirling my parasol whilst everyone sweats one out. It's going to be magical.

Should I go for bamboo or lace?

cosmicglittergirl Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:20

I have one I use on sunny days. Even with suncream on I burn.

OohMavis Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:42

Worra grin

cosmicglittergirl Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:44

Mines bamboo. Bright pink.

FionaThePrincess Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:45

I just use an ordinary umbrella. Not quite as elegant as a parasol, and I definitely don't look like Kate Middleton with it!

TeaStory Tue 19-Jul-16 14:18:55

I've got a beautiful Edwardian-style one. I get lots of compliments on it and my little patch of shade. Go for it!

QuestionableMouse Tue 19-Jul-16 14:21:45

I used to work outside in the sun with no shade. I used a golf umbrella so I wasn't baking.

TroysMammy Tue 19-Jul-16 14:23:30

I've got one. I hate hats making my sweaty head more sweaty. I also like being different.

Botanicbaby Tue 19-Jul-16 14:30:22

I saw someone with one at an event last week, pretty sensible as it was scorching & no seats left in the shade.

Just wondering where you can buy them now...!

myownprivateidaho Tue 19-Jul-16 14:31:58

Eh confused, I use a parasol all the time on holiday. You don't see them in the uk because it's rarely very sunny, but of course it's normal and fine to use one.

OohMavis Tue 19-Jul-16 14:32:00

Botanic I'm looking at eBay, loads of choice. Lindybop have a nice white one too that I'm eyeing up for a tenner. Hmm, decisions.

Dutchcourage Tue 19-Jul-16 14:33:22

Oh I wish I had one this morning. I was very stupid and went out for a picnick with out a hat and there wasn't much shade.

I'm due in 12 weeks. sad

redexpat Tue 19-Jul-16 14:36:37

I just use my little umbrella a la all the women in sri lanka.

Ilovelearning Tue 19-Jul-16 21:11:22

The Range actually had some really pretty ones in recently for around £5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now