To blame Islam even for this??

(397 Posts)
durezz Mon 18-Jul-16 22:35:44

I have just heard about a maniac axeman who has injured more than 20 people going on a rampage on a train. It's horrific and doesn't bear thinking about.
But is it fair that without any details people automatically assume it has something to do with the religion of Islam?

Of all the atrocities happening these days I feel so sad that after every such incident 1.8 billion Muslims are somehow held responsible. Fair?

Just after a general consensus to pick your brains and see is that really how people think?

mzS1990 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:37:19

I didn't think this was related.

Any bombs or shootings..... Yeah I do think islam first. Sadly

emilybohemia Mon 18-Jul-16 22:38:02

Of course it¨s not fair.

Patterkiller Mon 18-Jul-16 22:38:30

Islam extremists though surely.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:39:20

I didn't jump to that conclusion.

The DM is the only report I've read and there is no insinuation there as far as I can see.

PhloppysFonics Mon 18-Jul-16 22:41:28

I wouldn't say I assumed but I am questioning if it is. I wouldn't be surprised either way. There are plenty of non Islamic acts of terrorism that occur around the world. I think our brains like to make connections and with recent events its natural to think they may be linked somehow.

However I'm guessing (I don't know) that some people have reacted quite quickly and vehemently, assuming that the attacker is a Muslim. That is wrong and we shouldn't assume details until we have them.

It is awful, I am hoping and praying that those 20 people will be ok. Please no more deaths.

sorenofthejnaii Mon 18-Jul-16 22:47:44

Also - even if the person is a Muslim does not mean it was carried out as an act of Islamic terrorism. Just an awful event carried out by a Muslim.

Sadly there are people out there who do carry out awful events and it has nothing to do with their faith.

But it is the default position to think of terrorism carried out by people 'in the name of Islam' when you hear of events such as this - almost until proven otherwise.

Griphook Mon 18-Jul-16 22:48:25

Well the problem is that so far a lot of things recently in Europe have turned out to involve Islam

Rowanhart Mon 18-Jul-16 22:50:27

Goad much?

ApocalypseSlough Mon 18-Jul-16 22:51:19

It's why the 'is it terrorism' question should be very carefully handled when awful things happen.

Dragongirl10 Mon 18-Jul-16 22:52:11

I feel so sad that after every such incident 1.8 billion Muslims are somehow held responsible. Fair?

The vast majority of people do not blame all Muslims, but extremist Muslims.

If there had been horrific attacks by extremists in the name of Christianity, Judism or any other religion this would be the same.

Glamourgates Mon 18-Jul-16 22:52:38

biscuit

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Mon 18-Jul-16 22:53:19

Lunatics come from all religions.

I think this guy was just bonkers. I don't think there are religious reasons behind it.

WorraLiberty Mon 18-Jul-16 22:55:30

Bit of a clickbait title there OP.

Or are you actually asking if you are being unreasonable to blame Islam even for this?

MephistoMarley Mon 18-Jul-16 22:59:26

Is this a recent incident or was this the incident last year in Belgium (I think?)
An article I read recently about the 'lone wolf' Islamic terrorists such as Omar mateen and the recent man in Nice. They are not generally observant Muslims and often have violent criminal backgrounds. They described it was the islamisation of radicalism. There will always be socially excluded losers with a grudge against society but radical Islam seems to inspire some people to turn the thoughts into actions.
Unlike lots of British people I do have close friends and family who are Muslim so I am more than aware that most Muslims don't subscribe to thoughts of murder.

Rainbunny Mon 18-Jul-16 22:59:52

If I'm honest, when hearing about the Germany attack my first thought was mental illness then terrorism and then Isis. I made these mental connections based upon information I absorb from the world around me and came up with the statistically most likely conclusions. It probably will turn out to be related to one of these things and it doesn't make me a prejudiced person, just a rational one.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 18-Jul-16 23:05:32

Initial reports from Germany say it was a 17yo from Afghanistan.

Nothing on motive yet.

PortiaCastis Mon 18-Jul-16 23:06:07

I think these were the actions of a person with serious MH issues. I don't assume the persons religion automatically, I wait for the facts to emerge.

durezz Mon 18-Jul-16 23:10:15

Being a Muslim myself I hate to say it but the thought of the attacker being Muslim did come into my head. It was more like oh please let this person not be a Muslim!
The reason being that it just adds more fuel to the fire for ppl to blame the religion. If a Christian was to do something similar I wouldn't blame the religion for their misdeed but them as an individual.

It's nice to know there are rational ppl out there who don't jump to conclusions and think we're all a bad bunch just because of the religion we follow.

Piscivorus Mon 18-Jul-16 23:14:41

The problem is where to draw the line with Daesh. They are not an organisation with any structure but put out the extremist radicalising information then claim the mentally ill, disaffected people who act on it singlehandedly as being their followers

Do we say it is terrorism if the person has had contact with radicals or if they have read radical information or just if they are ill and act irrationally to a seed planted in their minds? Or is terrorism any act that makes people fearful?

Difficult lines to draw

Rainbunny Mon 18-Jul-16 23:15:12

I certainly don't blame any religion but after making the rational assumption that it could be an act of domestic terrorism my next assumption was that it could be ISIS (not Islam). I made the assumption that it could be ISIS since Europe has been a specific target. I honestly think my first assumption of mental illness is still very relevant though.

chinam Mon 18-Jul-16 23:17:26

Your op makes more sense now. Even if this was the result of Islamic extremists, I hope most people will be able to see that the extremists don't represent the views or wants of the vast majority of Muslims.

ginghambox Mon 18-Jul-16 23:21:43

Mark it down as another point for Mutti Merkels everyone welome policy.

PickledCauliflower Mon 18-Jul-16 23:21:48

It may have been a random nutter - or it may have been an individual with an axe to grind.
After events in NIce, I am now reluctant to go to any large public gatherings, I avoid large cities and I would now rather stay in a UK cottage for my annual holiday than - risk lying on a beach which is popular with westerners.
It's unfortunate that some sections of society may be put out by this, but it is currently a sad reality.

Summerwood1 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:21:50

I jumped to that conclusion straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now