AIBU?

(12 Posts)
Mumsy6216 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:21:21

I am due to inherit a sum of money. DH and I have struggled for years and of course therefore most of the money will go into the family pot. However I have always (for thirty years) wanted to do a course which would us approximately 5% of the inheritance, the rest going into the family pot. DH thinks we should wait and see how the money sorts things out. AIBU to feel a little sad?

eosmum Mon 18-Jul-16 20:25:51

I think you should do it. When the money has gone you will still have the benefit of the course.

RastafarianTargaryen Mon 18-Jul-16 20:26:47

YANBU.

It's your inheritance. Do the course.

NewNameNotTheSame Mon 18-Jul-16 20:28:00

What is the course? Will it benefit you/the family in the future? It's your inheritance though, it wouldn't be selfish to spend something on yourself, especially such a small percentage.

FuckJeffGoldblumMan Mon 18-Jul-16 20:28:11

YANBU to feel sad

But if money is that bad I would see what was left after you've got yourselves on your feet again.

DoreenLethal Mon 18-Jul-16 20:28:21

Yes of course do the course.

planeymcplaneface Mon 18-Jul-16 20:29:14

Its not dh's inheritance it is YOURS do what you want to do first then see how things are if its something you have your heart set on doing

imsorryiasked Mon 18-Jul-16 20:34:38

If the course will not affect your household income (eg giving up work to study) then you should go ahead and do it.
The inheritance is a "bonus" - without it you would still manage albeit with a bit of a struggle. So putting 95% of it in the pot would seem to be more than reasonable.

Pearlman Mon 18-Jul-16 20:35:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mumsy6216 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:47:20

It's a course which would lead to employment in the long run. I could do it part time over two years or full time over a year thereby minimising the loss of income. The other 95% would pay off all other debts and pay a chunk towards the mortgage. Thank you everyone.

RandomMess Mon 18-Jul-16 20:51:21

I think the 5% sounds like an investment - does that include the cost of the course plus loss of earnings etc?

Still as a long term investment I would be pretty insistant that I should be spending that money with his blessing. After all things are going to be so much easier with the other 95% what is his big issue?

BackforGood Mon 18-Jul-16 20:52:13

I agree with Pearlman.
Generally, I think treating yourself with 5% of an inheritance is absolutely the right thing to do, but it will depend on quite what state your finances are in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now