Are we really disgusting?

(412 Posts)
TransformersRobotsInDaSky Sun 17-Jul-16 17:22:43

I love to have deep, hot baths and DH and DS do too. To enable us to have them really deep and not feel too bad about wasting water, we share the water, one going in after the other (or sometimes one of us shares with DS). I happened to mention this to my DSis who thinks its absolutely disgusting.

Obviously if I'm shaving then I'll go in last or if anyone's particularly dirty they go to the back of the queue, but this is normal behaviour isn't it? Does everyone else share bath water or AIBU to share bath water with my family?

Palomb Sun 17-Jul-16 17:23:26

Entirely normal and very responsible!

FuckJeffGoldblumMan Sun 17-Jul-16 17:23:55

My mum does this but only with the kids. She gets fresh water

As long as it's you getting on first then continue as you are 😂

skatesection Sun 17-Jul-16 17:24:11

It's what we did in my family, I don't think it's disgusting.

I think in Japan, families share bath water but they have a quick shower before they get in the tub?

PhoebeGeebee Sun 17-Jul-16 17:24:57

Always shared baths growing up, still do now with DH (especially as I tend to run them too hot and only last about 15 mins) so it seems a waste of water for him to run another one straight after.

NeedACleverNN Sun 17-Jul-16 17:25:11

We do it here.

Saves running the bath 4 times and running a huge water bill.

It's not like we have been rolling around in shit

ABloodyDifficultWoman Sun 17-Jul-16 17:26:20

We do this - as long as nobody takes a sly dump at the tap end it usually goes ok!

TweedAddict Sun 17-Jul-16 17:26:38

We do this but empty a bit out of the tub of each people getting in replacing it with more water and more bubbles, mainly too make sure it's still really hot

Coconutty Sun 17-Jul-16 17:27:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HunterHearstHelmsley Sun 17-Jul-16 17:27:54

I remember a friends family doing this when I was on holiday with them and I was appalled! It's a bit rank.

ChickyDuck Sun 17-Jul-16 17:28:15

Yep, absolutely fine and normal!

Fairylea Sun 17-Jul-16 17:28:24

Personally I'd never want to share bath water with anyone.

VestalVirgin Sun 17-Jul-16 17:29:48

You presumably have sex with your husband, that's way more disgusting (and risky for transmitting diseases) than any bath water will ever be, and if you had any diseases, they would have been transmitted to your son during birth, so ... I don't really see the point? Like, from a medical point of view, there's nothing that speaks against it.

It's a cultural thing. There's no reasonable or unreasonable in this, but your Dsis is perhaps a bit unreasonable to freak out like that - it's not like you asked her to use your used bath water.

coolaschmoola Sun 17-Jul-16 17:30:15

Hot water, plus multiple bodies = human soup, with curly floaters... envy

DixieNormas Sun 17-Jul-16 17:30:37

we do it here the little ones go in first because they arnt really dirty, the 13 year old will sometimes go in after and if dp is around he will top the water up and have one after them. He's usually filthy so noone wants his water. At other times everyone has separate water

BackforGood Sun 17-Jul-16 17:30:51

Entirely fine.

AprilLoveJ Sun 17-Jul-16 17:31:41

I have a soak in an Epsom bath every night for my joints, and use the water after for my dd. I shower every morning so I don't see a problem with it. Unless I'm on my period! Cos that would be nasty. confused

GrimmauldPlace Sun 17-Jul-16 17:32:37

DH and I share bath water. He goes before me as he likes his baths burning hot so by the time I get in it's at normal temp. The only time we won't share water is if either of us are particularly dirty for whatever reason but that doesn't usually happen. The kids share a bath still.

We're on a water meter so I'm very conscious of the water we use.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:33:54

Id rather not have one, than have to share water and I adore baths.Most definitely not for me or any of mine.

DontFuckingSayIt Sun 17-Jul-16 17:34:02

We did this as children and I'm not very old. Sometimes I'll jump in my daughter's bath after her if it's still warm, but I wouldn't put her in my water after me, I'm not really sure why as I'm rarely dirty or smelly! Only the two of us in the house.

mzS1990 Sun 17-Jul-16 17:34:10

My mum used to make us do this.

Now I have a family of my own , I think it's disgusting haha.

ChessieFL Sun 17-Jul-16 17:34:44

DH and I don't share water, but DD will get in after one of us and use our water.

Ifailed Sun 17-Jul-16 17:35:25

clearly showing my age, but sunday night was bath time, youngest first, 4 kids after. My parents would wait for the water to heat up again (back-boiler), and do theirs later.
Cant remember anyone being ill from not bathing/showering every day, but then have always been dubious of Unilever and the likes marketing.

fruityb Sun 17-Jul-16 17:35:47

I always ask my OH if he wants the bath leaving in when I'm done. Or he does the same. Will top it up with hot water but we always do that. Saves filling the bath twice. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

SarcasmMode Sun 17-Jul-16 17:36:22

Unless one of us filthy (muddy, has sick or poo on them) then that's fine by me.

I top up with a little warm water as I like it hot skin burning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now