Un-potty trained children at splash parks

(47 Posts)
SouperSal Sun 17-Jul-16 12:49:33

Am at a splash park with 5 year old DD. Lots of kids here, as you'd expect. Some in normal clothes, some in swimsuits. All good. There are a few naked children - all boys - which is fine (although I'd be worried about where the sand is ending up). Around 6 of the naked children are under 18 months old, and while it's lovely to see them enjoying their freedom, I've seen 3 pee in the splash pools (like big puddles) in the last 5 minutes. Zero parental intervention - I can't even tell who the children belong to.

AIBU in thinking this shouldn't be happening?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 17-Jul-16 12:51:51

I can't get worked up about it tbh. It gets washed away pretty quickly.

Cagliostro Sun 17-Jul-16 12:52:21

Euwww! No YANBU. Swim nappies exist for a reason.

Blueberry234 Sun 17-Jul-16 12:53:07

Swim nappies don't keep wee in though just poo

SouperSal Sun 17-Jul-16 12:53:21

I can smell chlorine. Wonder if their calculations for chlorine levels factor in "average urine content". confused

northerngoldilocks Sun 17-Jul-16 12:53:49

But swim nappies let wees through!

Cagliostro Sun 17-Jul-16 12:53:51

Even though rationally, it's perfectly clean due to all the chlorine etc. But I still wouldn't like it TBH

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 17-Jul-16 12:54:03

Blue- exactly.

SouperSal Sun 17-Jul-16 12:54:18

Don't even want to think about what might be lurking in the sand pit.

Cagliostro Sun 17-Jul-16 12:54:40

Ah I didn't actually know that about swim nappies! blush Still, I would rather they would be worn due to the poo.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Sun 17-Jul-16 12:57:34

Urine, unless someone has an infection, is sterile. Swim nappies only contain poo.

So, what the problem might be is that you can see that the toddlers are weeing.

Think hard about public pools and the little ones in swim nappies - at least at a splash park, the water isn't shoulder deep and stationary.

19lottie82 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:10:45

I wouldn't worry about swim nappies only holding in poo. People piss in swimming pools ALL the time!

maddening Sun 17-Jul-16 13:11:59

Swim nappies wouldn't contain the wee in a pool but would help at. A splash park imo, you can also get over the nappy things which contain everything

whirlwinds Sun 17-Jul-16 13:14:20

Don't see the problem, most children wee in those pools and other pools regardless of swimming nappies or none. And no, my child is not one of them but if he was, there isn't much I could have done to prevent it.

hownottofuckup Sun 17-Jul-16 13:17:17

I think it's a risk you take going into any public pool etc.
People of all ages pee in them, not much you can do.
I wouldn't expect babies and toddlers to be banned on the off chance they will also be peeing them. That's what the chlorine's.
Swim nappies hopefully stop lumps getting out, but some faecal matter will still escape.

OneArt Sun 17-Jul-16 13:29:05

The wee wouldn't worry me. What if one of them does a poo though? They should have swim nappies on for that reason!

Noonesfool Sun 17-Jul-16 13:33:35

The smell of chlorine is actually not the smell of chlorine, it's the smell of the interaction between chlorine and bacteria. So increased smell=increased bacteria. Try fax grin

Don't sweat it. The kids will all be weeing in the water.

ProudAS Sun 17-Jul-16 13:34:36

They should definitely be in swim nappies because of the poo risk

littleprincesssara Sun 17-Jul-16 13:35:22

Urine isn't sterile, that's a myth sadly. Even amongst healthy people there is still bacteria present while it's in the bladder.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 17-Jul-16 13:37:28

Swim nappies are quite a new invention. They weren't a thing when mine were little so I did let them wee in the pool.

Heratnumber7 Sun 17-Jul-16 13:44:16

Swim nappies don't keep poo in any better than a well fitting swimming costume would. I think they are a bit of a con.
When I took DCs swimming I would always whisk them out at the first sign of a poo face. You can spot one a mile off. Never used swim nappies and never had a pool poo incident.

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sun 17-Jul-16 13:48:47

IMO it's a given that in any public pool (including adult only ones in gyms), there's a high % of wee, gob and sweat

Only difference in splash pools is that it's not stealth due to the shallowness

That's what the chorine is for

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sun 17-Jul-16 13:49:53

Also, peeing in a pool doesn't = not potty trained

My potty trained kids still pee in the bath - something about the water sensation I dunno, they're otherwise potty trained ages ago

TheHiphopopotamus Sun 17-Jul-16 13:54:44

Urine, unless someone has an infection, is sterile

No, it isn't.

Onthecouchagain Sun 17-Jul-16 13:56:17

Watching other people's kids and going on the internet. Glasshouses etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now