To ask if anyone used actuary to look at pension during divorce?

(10 Posts)
gardenangels Fri 15-Jul-16 23:53:19

Solicitor has suggested as ExDH has a final salary pension

NowWhat1983 Fri 15-Jul-16 23:58:16

Not in a divorce case but in a professional negligence case against a familiy solicitor.

The family solicitor messed up the pension claim for wife and massively undersettled it.

In the prof neg case we needed an actuary to look at pension and anticipate what it would be worth, what she ought to have etc.

Sounds like your solicitor is on the ball.

Somerville Sat 16-Jul-16 00:02:06

Sounds like a good idea.

Not during divorce personally, but when my husband died I was advised to use an actuary and it was helpful. It wasn't regarding pension though, his was straightforward. It was to advise on the shares and share options he'd been awarded by the company he worked for, to prepare a report to help my solicitor negotiate for me to be bought out of them at the right level.

gardenangels Sat 16-Jul-16 00:39:48

Thanks solicitor is brilliant. She suggested CETV may not reflect the true value of a final salary pension. Would you mind giving me an idea of undervalue percentage?

NowWhat1983 Sat 16-Jul-16 00:47:00

The actuary can do that as can your solicitor.

We're not the experts here.

Queenbean Sat 16-Jul-16 00:51:06

Definitely do. He will likely have had a calculation of his final pension amount and so you'll know what you're entitled to. Do you have any holdings yourself?

Final salary schemes are very generous.

gardenangels Sat 16-Jul-16 00:59:31

I am going to get an actuary to look at it. Just interested in examples

MangoMoon Sat 16-Jul-16 01:11:24

I've been advised by my solicitor to get an actuary involved as me and my STBX are equalising both of our pensions so that we will have the same through-life pension amount each (his is worth more than mine).

If we did it on CETV it only takes what it's worth now, and doesn't take into account further contributions.
(That's how I understood it anyway, but I'm not a solicitor!).

gardenangels Sat 16-Jul-16 01:34:49

It looks like CETV can be inaccurate for final salary pensions. They can be possibly worth more than their CETV as they guarantee x pension per year and can be index linked....

AcrossthePond55 Sat 16-Jul-16 02:59:13

My cousin's attorney did to determine if it was better for her to claim on his pension or keep the house.

She kept the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now