Do any of your DC do Scouts/Boys Brigade, or similar?

(24 Posts)
Backlash Fri 15-Jul-16 19:51:13

DS does 3 clubs, football, tag rugby and tennis. I'd love for him to go to Cubs/Boys Brigade or something similar. I know he'll love it and he's very keen.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on it? Do they go away a lot? Would it be impossible for him to do Football on a Saturday morning?

Any advice would be great.

scootinFun Fri 15-Jul-16 19:56:48

Both of mine do -one in Cubs and one in Beavers. Going away depends on the group but usually 3x a year., Mine love it and are having a fabulous time!

Clutteredmess Fri 15-Jul-16 20:00:38

DS has been through the whole scouting system from Beavers to Explorers and is now a Young Leader as his volunteering for DoE. It's been brilliant and has provided lots of opportunities to do things that I could afford/wouldn't want to do - camping, night hikes, white water rafting, climbing, gliding, shooting. His friend went to Japan with the scouts. I think a lot depends on the quality of the leaders - his have been brilliant. Another benefit is he's kept in contact with lots of friends from primary school when they all went to different secondaries.

MummyIsMyFavouriteName Fri 15-Jul-16 20:01:40

I'm a cub leader and we don't take them away that often so interfering with other clubs shouldn't be an issue.

We have a big waiting list though so even if you aren't completely decided, find out how long the waiting list is for your local group just in case. smile

SteamTrainsRealAleandOpenFires Fri 15-Jul-16 20:02:10

Boys' Brigade.
Scouts.

I hope that the above are useful in some way?

Backlash Fri 15-Jul-16 20:02:59

Waiting list is 3 months for Cubs, I contacted them grin but wasn't sure if the best one was Cubs or any of the other ones

Statelychangers Fri 15-Jul-16 20:03:35

Both my kids do it. They go away very infrequently 3 times a year if they want - usually during school holidays when other clubs have stopped.
Couldn't speak highly enough about the scouting movement, my dcs have learned so many skills, gained knowledge in diverse areas, taken part in putting on a massive performance, built confidence, increased their social circle, they meet adult leaders in a more relaxed environment than school which has increased their confidence with adults. It's the best thing they do.

00100001 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:05:20

I think as PPs have said, it will depend on the leaders as to how much they do out of unit time. But even if he can't attend other events he'll do loads in the unit meetings.

lessthanBeau Fri 15-Jul-16 20:10:17

My DD does Beavers it's the only club she's done that's kept her interest, I can see her going all the way through the different age ranges of it , she's off to camp tomorrow night, she's made lots of friends from other schools.
Well worth it, can't praise our scout group leaders enough.

shoofly Fri 15-Jul-16 20:10:25

We took DS1 to cubs a few years ago. It was a really big group and he was totally overwhelmed. Tried BB and he went through Anchor Boys and Junior section and will be moving up to Company Section. It's a far smaller group and he loves it. He has ASD and he's made great friends. Ds2 is an Anchor Boy as well. Having a family background in Scouts and Guides, I've been really impressed by BB. It's a small group so they don't go away.

kimlo Fri 15-Jul-16 20:13:08

Dd1 goes to scouts and likes it. They do alot but you dont have to go to anything if it clashes with something else.

Cagliostro Fri 15-Jul-16 20:21:39

My DS loves Beavers. He doesn't go to all the extra things on weekends, they aren't compulsory.

Check out Badgers as well - that's the St John's Ambulance club. My DCs really enjoy it smile

flissfloss65 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:37:52

My ds had been attending scouts group for ten years, since aged 6. During beavers and cubs they rarely did things during the weekend. Since then he has attended the annual scout camp and done his d of e. He's loved it. They play lots of games, learn to cook, learn about team building and taking responsibility. He's also learnt first aid, attended district swimming galas and tried out things such as dry slope skiing, tobogganing and go karting. It's fitted in with his other clubs

freebreeze Fri 15-Jul-16 20:46:12

Scouts is a lovely organisation. They're outside all the time doing old fashioned stuff like making a shelter and survival techniques. My son loves it. In my son's group they often do activities at the weekend but this is optional and the boys just do the activity they fancy. They go away approx. 3 times a year.

WaverleyOwl Fri 15-Jul-16 20:50:19

DS1 (6) started Beavers this past term and loves it. Lots of local kids, but a different mix to school. It's Friday evening, so doesn't interfere with the weekend.

I'm really happy that he's happy as, like me, he's not a huge joiner inner. Really looking forward to all the opportunities he'll have. Lots of outdoorsy stuff that suits him well, and a good variety of activities that will keep him engaged. Definitely go for it if yours are interested.

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 15-Jul-16 20:53:06

DS joined Cubs a few months ago and it's been brilliant, given him more confidence for sure and he has great fun. They do quite a lot of camps and day trips but it's by no means compulsory so don't let that put you off.

cece Fri 15-Jul-16 20:53:52

My DS goes to scouts. The going away is optional so if it clashes with a big match then you don't have to go. My group goes away about twice every term so if you miss one there isn't long to wait for the next camp.

I do agree though that the waiting list is often quite long so you need to put his name down now - you can always say no when you get the phone call.

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Fri 15-Jul-16 20:59:18

St Johns ambulance for both of mine. They love it and hated brownies/Cubs etc

Statelychangers Fri 15-Jul-16 21:09:49

Ahh it's called explorers now - the people around here still call it venture scouts - I am not from a scouting background - I had no idea it was predominately a boys only organisation - I signed my 2 kids up for it.....My dd is a very feminine, very girly and I love that scouts helps her leave a bit of that behind - she needs that.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jul-16 21:18:55

Woodcraft Folk here. DD loves it week long wildish camp and long weekend in hostel so far this year . Cooperative rather than competitive games. Outside all the time, and a bunch from the group going on trident protest tomorrow wink

MrsBobDylan Fri 15-Jul-16 21:29:24

DS 1 & 2 do cubs/Beavers and it is awesome. Akela and the other helpers are amazing and I am unutterably grateful to them for taking my kids on when other clubs wouldn't (ds1 has a physical disability and ds2 has ASD).

The worst part is sewing badges on and getting them the right way up/not wonky.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 15-Jul-16 21:46:14

DD does scouts, she did have an exceptional 3 weeks where she was away every weekend, but she was transitioning between Cubs/scouts, one was Cubs, one was scouts and one was a joint beavers, scouts, Cubs weekend. She loves it and DS is very excited to be starting Cubs in September

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 15-Jul-16 21:50:54

My ds was a cub then a scout.

He gave up due to bullying from the staff/volunteers. And a lack of badges, even though he had done the work for them.

I keep trying to get him back in to a different troop (? ) But he has lost all interest. Which isn't like him. He's usually in to everything.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 15-Jul-16 21:52:58

Mrs bob

Ds has 30 activity badges, 6 staged ones, all 7 Achievement diamonds and his silver award...

It was a real struggle to get that lot on one sweater...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now