To have no idea which job to pick?

(22 Posts)
Flissypixie Fri 15-Jul-16 14:39:32

I currently have a job that is stressful, long hours and its driving me insane so a I started to apply for something else. I had two interviews on the same day and got offered both of them!

One is a Mon-Fri 9-3 term time role with a little flexibility to come in earlier/go home earlier so I could do some 2/3 school runs a week. but not in my chosen field of work but still a job I know I would enjoy and hopefully be good at.Team is lovely and supportive (I have a friend who worked there previously) However I am not sure of how I could progress and make it a career rather than a job. But I get to see my dds and eat with them, homework etc.

The second is in my chosen field and a year ago (before my current job destroyed me) I would have jumped for joy at it. However it is long hours (11am-9pm)and a bit of stress (hopefully not as much as now) plus an hours commute and no flexibility but its would be put me on a good career path. The team seem lovely and kind and the boss is someone I could learn so much from.

I need to let them know before 5pm today! HELP

PoochiePoo Fri 15-Jul-16 14:41:21

Personally I'd do the first one x

BorpBorpBorp Fri 15-Jul-16 14:43:01

Unless the money for job 2 is much better, I'd go for job 1.

pinkandpurplesparkle Fri 15-Jul-16 14:45:14

At this point in your life, what is it that you desire most? Time with your DC? Salary? Career fulfilment? Prospects?

Is money an issue? (Don't mean to sound personal, but I can't imagine that the term-time job will pay anything close to the other job)

Essentially then, what are your priorities, as consideration of these will influence what you choose to do. smile

Flissypixie Fri 15-Jul-16 15:09:58

The salary is pretty much identical as the second job is a graduate position.
Plus the second one requires more childcare.
I went back to uni to get a degree so I could have a career but I hate missing out on my children's lives. I am a worried if I wait too long to start I will never do it but if I miss out of my girls growing up(age 6 and 9) will I regret it.

fassone Fri 15-Jul-16 15:11:04

First one.

pinkandpurplesparkle Fri 15-Jul-16 15:20:52

Think you've answered your own question then, Flissy smile. There won't be another opportunity to see your girls grow - but in a few years, you may have other career opportunities.

The other way to think about it is if one of the jobs was suddenly, inexplicably withdrawn, and you only had one option, how would you feel about the remaining one?

MrsFrisbyMouse Fri 15-Jul-16 15:24:10

The first. You can always do further study or find other ways to develop your career in the future.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Fri 15-Jul-16 15:34:39

First one

WordGetsAround Fri 15-Jul-16 15:36:55

First. No contest.

MadameJosephine Fri 15-Jul-16 15:44:15

The first one, absolutely

8angle Fri 15-Jul-16 15:45:55

I would go against the consensus and say go for the second. This is what you have gone back and studied for - give it a go - you are obviously very employable and if it doesn't work for you, you can quit and go for an "easier option".

If you go for the first you will question whether you are missing a huge opportunity, whereas if you go for the second, you will quickly know the reality and if it works for you.

Congratulations and good luck with whatever you chose!

Whatthequack Fri 15-Jul-16 15:51:43

OP, I'm going to go against the grain here and say the second one. Reasons being, if it's a career you are wanting, this will lead to progression, you will only be at graduate level for a year or two and then your pay will increase. Plus you'll see your kids every morning time, weekend and on holidays. If you go for the first job, later down the line you might find it hard to get into the industry.

purplefox Fri 15-Jul-16 15:51:52

It seems you want the first one more.

Merimum Fri 15-Jul-16 16:05:46

First job definitely. It sounds perfect and u can work on career when kids are up a bit.

Solasum Fri 15-Jul-16 16:09:10

I would be miserable if I didn't see DC basically at all during the working week. Term time only is also great, think of the holidays you will be able to have!

I'd go for option one, but make sure to keep options open via study etc so another shot at job 2 or similar would not be unrealistic down the line

Simpsonsaddict Fri 15-Jul-16 16:15:55

The first one sounds amazing, if you don't take it I'll have it! It's a nice quandary to be in. But I'd take job 1.

flissfloss65 Fri 15-Jul-16 16:28:40

How much less stressful would the second job be compared to your present position? They are difficult hours. If you want to persue a career maybe stick with current job until one with more family friendly hours appears?

easterholidays Fri 15-Jul-16 16:33:59

What I do when I can't decide between two things is (a lot like pinkandpurple says) to imagine I've chosen one or the other, and see how I feel about it. Then imagine it the other way around, and see which version makes me feel more excited/less disappointed.

Neither choice would be wrong, and nothing is irreversible! Good luck.

IAmALionTamer Fri 15-Jul-16 17:50:28

Only you can really know which one you want more OP, but from my personal perspective as someone who is miserably failing at getting the right work life balance, I'd go for the first one

Flissypixie Fri 15-Jul-16 17:56:44

Thank you for all the answers. I went with Job 1. I do feel like I am turning down a great opportunity by not picking number 2 and I am worried I might really regret it as I might not get the chance again and its a step down from my current job. However my current job is making me utterly miserable and stressed to the point of illness I don't see my girls and when I do its not quality time.
I think if I would have chosen the second one I would have felt happy and excited now but the reality will have been very much like the job I am doing
now but for less money. It was a win win, lose lose situation.

pinkandpurplesparkle Fri 15-Jul-16 18:00:12

Well done on making the decision - sending you every good wish for your new job smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now