Lloyds banks sent my check book to DHExW

(23 Posts)
Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:15:33

WIBU to throw a huge hissy fit in the branch tomorrow?
I am livid, I expect she is also. He never even had a lloyds account when he lived there seven years ago. WTF are they up to? Have they never heard of data protection?
The telephone complaints people tell me it must all be his fault.
He is even more livid, they sent his new card, pin and statement there. They only have his old address because they ask those security questions to prove you are a real person.
I shall try and be calm, but I don't envision it lasting long if the branch staff are as evasive as the telephone people.
Any good tips for handling this nicely?

SecretRed Thu 14-Jul-16 22:20:48

Don't throw a hissy fit at the branch staff, it's not their fault! Make sure you get to the bottom of it though as its a big breach of the data protection act. Financial services have to follow strict guidelines when it comes to customer complaints.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Thu 14-Jul-16 22:23:38

They sent your cheque book to an address they only have as a security question on your dhs account? Is it a joint account? Even if it is that makes no sense!

That makes no sense at all. I'd ask for a written explanation as to what happened, how, and what steps they are taking to prevent a reoccurrence.

NerrSnerr Thu 14-Jul-16 22:27:21

I agree, don't go shouting at the staff in the branch. They don't deserve to be shouted at when at work. They don't send them from the branch.

WellIGuessThisIsGrowingUp Thu 14-Jul-16 22:31:27

I would ask to speak to the branch manager and ask them to investigate. If you're not happy with the response, make a complaint to the financial service ombudsman www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/ansinwers/complaints_a2.html

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:34:43

I know it is not the branch workers fault, probably won't even be able to talk to the manager type person as he roves between three branches.
Somehow they have linked mine, his and our joint accounts. Maybe even DSDs account, as she is the only one registered at that address.
It is a monumental cock up. I've worked for some high security places, done loads of training and the data protection breach is fucking massive.
I shall finish this bottle of wine and try and stay calm.

bloodynoris Thu 14-Jul-16 22:35:38

If Dh changed his address since 2011 then someone has clicked the wrong box. They will be able to trace it. I have worked there previously and you are not the first its happen to.

Naoko Thu 14-Jul-16 22:40:41

I had something like that with the council. I applied for disabled student allowance and they sent all the paperwork with my medical details to an address I hadn't lived at for a decade. I never had anything to do with the council when I was at that address because as a student I didn't pay council tax, the property was exempt, so they had no dealings with me at all. I've no idea where they dug the address up from. They definitely did have the right address for me because I was receiving regular post from them about the application. I hit the roof but was sadly stonewalled all the way.

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:47:17

DH comes from an island tax haven, I persuaded him to get a proper account here. He is not happy, he does not trust English banks.
I will be making complaints to as many people as I can think of.
What really annoys me is, when we opened a joint account we both stated that I should be the primary holder. Telephone lady confirmed that he is primary holder. Maybe because he has testicles?

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:49:15

bloody it was before 2011

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 22:55:44

Maybe because he has testicles?

Well of course the penis comes in very handy when writing cheques and dialing the number for customer service. Oh no, wait, think I am getting confused.

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:59:24

Us women are easily confused. Especially when we get deluded and imagine we are the primary bread winners of the family.

Idontknowwhoiam Thu 14-Jul-16 23:05:14

Make sure you put in a complaint to their customer care department even if it is resolved by the branch.
It will be logged and you will be entitled to distress and inconvenience payment which lloyds are quite generous with.
Also make sure you make it clear to the branch it is an official complaint.
They have 24 hours to resolve it to your satisfaction otherwise it has to be escalated anyway to customer care who will deal with it within 8 weeks (9/10 it's much less than this time frame)

DesolateWaist Thu 14-Jul-16 23:10:48

People still have cheque books?

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:14:56

Yes desolate to pay the plumber.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 23:17:14

DesolateWaist the whole after school children's activity industry would be brought to it's knees without the trusty chequebook. It comes out three times a year for the watching week at the end of each half term, other than piano which is 6 times a year because three times a year would make you realise what an eye watering amount you are spending!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 14-Jul-16 23:18:41

its knees

DesolateWaist Thu 14-Jul-16 23:19:43

I pay the plumber by direct transfer......
<misses point of thread>>

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:22:36

How much compensation do you want?

Lloyd's started sending my life insurance mail to another person with the same name, I asked them not to, I told them not to. So did they other ivykaty44

They put £100 in my account to shut me up

I then cancelled my life insurance wink

They will get into serious trouble for data protection breach so decide what you want to do carefully

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:25:23

I also pay my water rates by cheque because it reminds me to do a full audit of all the other bills. I may be old and sad, but it works. So about 6 cheques a year.

EBearhug Thu 14-Jul-16 23:28:07

IME, Lloyds are quite good at sorting these things out once they've been pointed out - but they would be a lot better if they didn't make the cock-up in the first place (although they are not unique in this - I had my insurance with the same company that my sister did, and they managed to merge our accounts, despite being in totally different addresses and first names.)

You should definitely be complaining.

(I still use my cheque book, too.)

Pestilence13610 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:36:14

I don't really want compensation.
However, HSBC mucked up (years ago) and then gave me free overdraft facilities that lasted about 10 years. That was very nice.
The data protection bit is what really pisses me off.
DHExW is skitty but honest, what if she had moved and my stuff was being sent to a stranger?
She is also probably very upset that stuff was sent to her address in my name.
I am on holiday tomorrow, so we will have a breakfast meeting and then go and kick ass firmly but gently. I like the local staff, they have been really good to my DC.

ivykaty44 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:38:06

What do you want? Decide what you want to happen before you go to the bank

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now