To ask what you mean by batch cook?

(15 Posts)
silvermantela Thu 14-Jul-16 21:47:18

Sorry for very boring trivial post but I just saw this on another thread and it brought to mind other times I've seen it and been hmm

When I "batch cook" a meal e.g lasagne I make enough for approx four portions, say on a Monday night. I would then eat one portion straight away, stick one in fridge and have it weds evening or Thurs lunch, and then have the other two portions at some point during the next two months, defrosting them the day before. I would do this with several different meals per fortnight, so building up a bank of various meals but never eating the same thing more than twice a week and/or three times a month, iyswim?

However I have repeatedly seen OP'S refer to batch cooking as making a huge batch of say spaghetti on Monday and then eating it every day for the next four days, or until it's gone. This seems crazy to me as I would get so sick of eating the same thing every day, plus surely it wouldn't be very fresh by day four? However I can see it would save on the faff of portioning, planning defrosting and so on.

The only friend I've asked in rl does it the second way too. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:48:25

I do it your way.

Zuccarelli Thu 14-Jul-16 21:48:47

I make a load an then freeze whatever doesn't get eaten. That way you can still have variety but still save time!

Jelliebabe1 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:48:50

No your way is right! Cook a lot at once eat in slow time!

MrsJoeyMaynard Thu 14-Jul-16 21:50:09

I do batch cooking the way you do it.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 14-Jul-16 21:50:53

I hate eating the same thing all the time, if I batch cook I either make a massive chilli or soup, and then portion and freeze it, and maybe have it for 1 lunch/dinner for next week or 3

user1468488303 Thu 14-Jul-16 21:51:42

Both are correct in their own way, and whatever people prefer. Lots of people like eating the same thing for days, or have phases.
What does it matter? Just suit yourself.

HelsinkiLights Thu 14-Jul-16 21:52:00

We do it your way Silver but anyway is up to you.

MrsWooster Thu 14-Jul-16 21:52:20

Cook loads of, eg, pasta sauce or cheese sauce and then portion itinto ikea plastic bowls, freeze, then decant into freezer bag so we have options of all sorts of things for various numbers of eaters. Ive been dying to share the ikea bowl thing for ages- perfect portion sizes! i dont get out much

Walkacrossthesand Thu 14-Jul-16 21:53:22

I'm with you - batch cooking to me is making several 'main meals' at once with the express purpose of freezing some for later use. Making a big potful and eating it over several days is eating leftovers again and again and again...

mineofuselessinformation Thu 14-Jul-16 21:56:31

Yy, I cook a large amount, and eat one portion.
I'd get fed up eating the same meal day after day, and it's nice to have something tasty on the freezer! smile

wobblywonderwoman Thu 14-Jul-16 21:59:02

The way you do it is the best I think

I do that sometimes but other times I might buy a lot of meat - say two chickens, six pork chops and mince.

I might make curries, pork casserole and chilli. I create an almighty mess and run out of tuberware

JapaneseSlipper Thu 14-Jul-16 22:07:08

In theory if I ever cooked I would do it your way - but your freezer must be massive.

Many people don't have a freezer, or only have the little compartment that's part of a small fridge.

RiverTam Thu 14-Jul-16 22:14:47

I saw that post about eating spag Bol several days in a row. Odd. I don't tend to 'batch cook' ( a term I've only ever heard on MN, I must say. I really hate it!) as I have a small freezer, but I wouldn't make a load of something to eat 4 days on the trot, either.

gaggiagirl Thu 14-Jul-16 22:16:45

I used to batch cook. I still cook the same amount of chili or lasagna for instance and it just gets eaten in a couple of days!
That's because I have a growing hollow legged family.
Now I can never seem to buy enough stuff to batch cook sad
You're doing it the way I would like to do it OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now