To be shocked teacher suggested tutoring for 5 year old?

(12 Posts)
Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:43:29

Child is the eldest in the class, just about to finish reception.
End of year report came out, all great and included a list of graded things
1 - emerging 2 - expected 3 - exceeding
2s for everything and 3 3s
Was very pleased and thought he was on track
Spoke to teacher about preparation for year 1 over the summer holidays and she said that as one of the eldest, he is capable of exceeding the expected level in all points with tuition and suggested a private tutor once a week over the holidays to ensure he is in the " high attainment " group come year 1.
Is this true, that these grades are what year 1 teachers use to decide what grouping they go into?
I think it's unreasonable to have tuition for a child who isn't " struggling " from what I can see
Or am I wrong?

CocktailQueen Wed 13-Jul-16 21:47:50

Tuition for a 5yo? Has the world gone mad? Are you at a prep school, or is it a normal primary?

Your DC will need a break from school over summer, and the chance to play, not tuition!

Ime, teachers get to know the DC in their class before deciding what group they should be in. Our classes were streamed for English and maths but for a lot of the time kids weren't streamed so there were a lot of table groupings. It shouldn't depend on whether DC have tuition in the summer hols!! hmm

UterusUterusGhali Wed 13-Jul-16 21:57:16

I got an advert for tutors in my 5yo's book bag.

Yes the world has gone mad.

Children can sometimes go back a bit in the holidays so just keep reading & stuff during the break.

But ffs. They're babies. Let them have a summer.

bumsexatthebingo Wed 13-Jul-16 22:19:22

Absolute insanity. I'm thinking maybe she's graded her class higher than she should to make it look like they've made more progress than they actually have and she's trying to get lots of the parents to do this so she doesn't get found out when the new teacher assesses at the beginning of the year?

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:31:16

I laughed at the above comment as I wondered the same!!
Although she's given a lot of 1s to friends children so I don't think that's the case but it's very odd never the less
It's not prep, just a normal primary school

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:35:00

Silly silly silly. And I'm a tutor. Totally unnecessary.

bumsexatthebingo Wed 13-Jul-16 22:35:28

Maybe she's just bumped a few up then and now she wants them hothoused over the summer. I've worked in schools and it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

bookbuddy Wed 13-Jul-16 22:36:20

I've just had something a bit similar to this my DD's report was very good overall but she got an average in maths with an excellent for effort in maths. Today the same teacher said that she would be setting her maths work throughput the holidays as she needs to try harder? confused

bookbuddy Wed 13-Jul-16 22:36:38

Throughout

Chippednailvarnishing Wed 13-Jul-16 22:38:02

My 5 year old can nearly wipe her own bum.

Shall I get a tutor?😂

Alwayssunnysideup Wed 13-Jul-16 22:38:52

Hi Cantsleepwontsleep123, yes it is true that teachers use the Reception Teacher's gradings to set ability groups in year 1 (well they do at our school). I teach Reception and I put my class into ability groups for the new year 1 teacher (at her request) according to how they have done in my class smile

Muddlingalongalone Wed 13-Jul-16 22:47:57

I met Dd1's year 1 teacher for next year last week on transition day (new to school but inside Borough so same day) & asked what if anything we might need to do over the summer & she said go out & let them explore the world etc & reading to them & them to parent.
Tutoring at 5 is crazy imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now