Fake tan for 11 year olds

(19 Posts)
longdiling Wed 13-Jul-16 18:29:03

That's kind of it really. My dd came home from school today saying someone in her class had a fake tan ahead of their school prom on Friday. Well I say prom but it's a disco in the function room of our local pub. My face has been like this shock ever since and I just need to release the shock and judginess on here rather than in real life where it may get me in trouble.

AIBU to think this is bonkers? It is right?

MollyTwo Wed 13-Jul-16 18:30:07

You've really been holding the shockface for so long? Yanbu, that's inappropriate but oh well.

Sciurus83 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:32:48

A solidarity shock! YANBU!

StarryIllusion Wed 13-Jul-16 18:35:09

They have a prom at 11? Only prom we ever had was at age 16 when leaving and even at that age fake tan looks cheap and tacky imo.

AldrinJustice Wed 13-Jul-16 18:36:30

YANBU what the hell, we live in a superficial world but this is going a bit too far

Hulababy Wed 13-Jul-16 18:37:23

You sure its not just that summer sun type cream version. I let DD use that when she was a bit younger a couple of times, especially the ones with a hint of glitter in.

Not sure I'd have taken DD for a spray tan, or let her do a DIY fake tan, at that age though ultimately I am not really sure why I guess, as I would have let her wear a bit of make up, I allowed her to have her ears pierced and her hair coloured, etc. But a proper fake tan seems a bit more grown up I guess.

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if others did though - at this point in the year, some year 6s are very nearly 12 and some (as many have grown through a substantial amount of puberty already at that stage) are already looking pretty grown up as it is. So long as they weren't orange or streaky, or it wasn't really OTT - more of a sheen.

NerrSnerr Wed 13-Jul-16 18:38:12

I was wondering whether it is a real fake tan or some of that moisturiser with tanning stuff in?

longdiling Wed 13-Jul-16 18:38:59

I have indeed Molly. My face is killing me now. Thank you sciurus, I am glad not to be alone. Starry, it's called a prom but it is basically a disco in a pub. I'm sure it'll be nice and dd will enjoy it. We went and bought a new dress together which she enjoyed. I am now panicking though that her dress is not going to be blingy enough if her classmates are going to town with spray tans etc

minionsrule Wed 13-Jul-16 18:41:11

A few years ago I was unfortunate enough to see our Y6 girls going for their party. Fake tans was just the start - fake nails, hair done, make up, tight short dress and heels they couldn't walk in - not kidding, not all by the way, just a few.
Bad message to give at that age that your natural look is not good enough.

My ds has his Y6 leavers party next week, we are doing activities so casual/sports clothes are the order of the day thank god

longdiling Wed 13-Jul-16 18:43:09

According to dd it was a proper fake tan in a beauty salon type place...she is a very grown up looking girl anyway hula and my dd is very young for her age so perhaps this is why I'm surprised. It wouldn't have occurred to dd to ask for it

originalmavis Wed 13-Jul-16 18:49:03

The funny thing is that the boys in the class will be too busy making willy jokes and elbow farts to give two hoots about the girls (if DS is anything to go by).

specialsubject Wed 13-Jul-16 19:20:38

Isn't the response a distracted ' that's nice, dear' which shows the monumental dullness of this fact?

Its a kids party. Don't bust too much of a gut.

Prom. Madness !

Hulababy Wed 13-Jul-16 19:24:25

To be fair originalmavis - most of the girls will be getting dressed up and make up, etc just because they want to rather than to make the boys notice - in my experience anyway.

Marylou2 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:11:54

A friend who teaches has regaled us with stories of pupils turning up for First Communions looking suspiciously orange so not surprising some do it for a prom.

beetroot2 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:14:43

I also think a "prom" at 11 is weird. Whats that all about, isn't it an end of term school disco any more confused

As for the fake tan - going a bit too far like the prom.

iklboo Wed 13-Jul-16 20:19:18

Prom is bad enough. DNiece 'graduated' last week. From nursery.

beetroot2 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:20:56

grin how ridiculous iklboo. Whatever next? a "coming out party" for a birth.

iklboo Wed 13-Jul-16 20:38:42

grin beetroot

iklboo Wed 13-Jul-16 20:39:20

They had paper mortar board hats & got a scroll.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now