to go back to the Doctors?

(22 Posts)
cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 09:40:47

I'm 29. Have a desk job. Have an average diet and am relatively healthy. I have an underactive thyroid (checked and fine) and a(n almost) 2 year old.

I am tired all the time. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being wide awake and 10 being exhausted, I range most days at a 6/7. I go to bed at 10pm and am up with DS most morning around 6am.

I am also having hot flushes all the time. As in pouring with sweat when everyone else is sat in jumpers and I'm in a vest top/tshirt.

As I say, thyroid checked and levels are fine but there must be SOMETHING causing the sweats. The tiredness I can kinda accept having a toddler but even so....

Any suggestions?

zofranks Wed 13-Jul-16 10:13:10

I can't diagnose you other than to say that when I went back to work I was exhausted (my dd way 7 months old btw), I struggled on for almost 18 months and every day my energy levels were shocking, eventually after several trips to the GP I saw a lovely one who sent me for basically every blood test under the sun, turned out I had zero vit d - a very severe deficiency, I now take prescription vitamin d, I still am tired a lot and desperately need to lose weight but being diagnosed helped as did the extra vitamin d

cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 10:15:46

I've had lots of tests like you mention zofranks and all have come back clear - liver, kidneys, vit d etc etc.... sad I don't want to waste the GPs time but all the same, I want an answer as they why I feel so shit.

zofranks Wed 13-Jul-16 11:10:48

go back, just keep going back until they find the reason. I am sorry you are having all this on top of working, just go back sit down with one of them (maybe make a double appointment so you don't feel rushed) and explain to them how you feel. Do you have anyone you could take with you that has seen this or knows what you are going through? Sometimes someone else telling the gp as well as you spurs them into more action.

Welshmaenad Wed 13-Jul-16 11:19:42

Ooooh, I'm vit d deficient too zofranks, as is my sister, apparently there may well be some wider genetic issue. It's always nice to meet other vampires!

zofranks Wed 13-Jul-16 11:35:58

welshmaenad - most people look at me like I have 2 heads - it drives me mad though, if I miss my dose I know about it

BillSykesDog Wed 13-Jul-16 11:41:14

CFS may be worth looking into?

cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 11:54:06

Would CFS cause the sweats though? And the aches too? My doctors are so hard to get an appointment with and tbh, I feel like I'm always there.

zofranks Wed 13-Jul-16 12:51:43

sorry - what is CFS?

Did they check your hormone levels? Some of your symptoms sound almost perimenopausal which may mean your oestrogen levels haven't settled after pregnancy.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/laura-knowles/the-great-oestrogen-imbalance_b_8195492.html

CFS = Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

blushrush Wed 13-Jul-16 13:11:04

Fellow Vit D Deficient here. I had similar exhaustion and thought it might have been my depression coming back. Turns out I had a very low Vit D count. Taking supplements certainly helped.

Not sure about the sweats though. I did get warm flushes when I got very tired so maybe it's connected to that?

One thought - what did they say your Vit D levels were? I was a bit borderline i.e. low but not fully deficient but I was having symptoms so the GP treated me anyway. Within a couple of weeks all my joint pains had gone so it was a Vit D problem. If your levels were close to the lower end of the range it wouldn't hurt to take Vit D supplements for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.

Mouikey Wed 13-Jul-16 13:27:40

Many people are Vit D deficient (I'm another one - I take 1600iu daily), I also have low iron levels (I guess they checked that?).

Might be worth looking at diet and seeing if regulating carbs and blood sugars would help (boring I know!).

Do go back to your GP though!

cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 15:11:23

Hmmm, definite food for thought with the above all. I think(?) my vit d levels were on the lower side of normal but still normal IYSWIM?

My underactive thyroid was diagnosed post pregnancy.

Welshmaenad Wed 13-Jul-16 15:40:56

cjt I have diabetes and fibromyalgia and it's credibly made the effects of vit d deficiency more pronounced - maybe your thyroid issues are too? I would take some good quality supplements for at least a month and see if it helps. Definitely go back to the dr too in the meantime but the supplements can be quite magical!

cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 16:32:58

First pre-bookable appt with my GP is 18 August...!

cjt110 Wed 13-Jul-16 16:33:41

Welshmaenad Could you pm me with any that you recommend if you don't mind?

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 13-Jul-16 16:35:22

What about lupus? A friend has had it for several years and at one point was bed bound with it and I think exhaustion, aches etc were all symptoms.

Stormtreader Wed 13-Jul-16 16:47:43

Could by Lyme Disease? That has excessive sweating and excessive fatigue as symptoms.

Welshmaenad Wed 13-Jul-16 18:05:07

cjt I take Solgar vitamin D3 at 4000 iu, and take vitamin k2 alongside it. I had a long consultation with an independent health food store where the lady took D3 and K2 herself and was pretty clued up; and this was her recommendation.

www.lifestyle-labs.com/products/solgar-vitamin-d3-4000-iu-120-capsules?gclid=COeGn4P18M0CFRG3Gwod92cOWA

Incidentally if you're in South Wales I can't recommend enough that you get it from Richardson's Health in Penarth as they're superb!

cjt110 Thu 14-Jul-16 16:09:26

I think Im just knackered lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now