to think that it's because Theresa May is a woman

(17 Posts)
justpeachy74 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:01:23

I'll be honest I don't know much about her and I'm definitely not a Tory supporter but whilst browsing Facebook just now someone had posted a mocked up image of her with a lizard face under where her skin has been pulled away. Think the program 'V' circa 1980s or an episode of Doctor Who where the earth is ruled by scary lizards masquerading as humans.

I'm also already sick of her being instantly compared to Margaret Thatcher. Maybe that's more to do with a grim hope that she isn't a Thatcher clone.

I realise that politicians are fair game but his seems to me to be very anti-woman.

Samcro Tue 12-Jul-16 11:02:17

so no one ever slags of cameron!!

LilacSpunkMonkey Tue 12-Jul-16 11:04:03

People have been calling the Royals 'lizard people' for years.

Michael Gove gets bashed all over the Internet (and rightly so).

So does Cameron. Tony Blair. Gordon Brown.

mrgrouper Tue 12-Jul-16 11:09:41

Instead of Cameron with a pigs head superimposed on his body?

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 12-Jul-16 11:10:54

It's not because she's a woman, it's because her politics don't show her to be a very nice person - very much 'take from the poor, give to the rich'. Did you not see that Slap Gove app going around? They wouldn't have dared do that for a woman.

www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/votes

Snowflakes1122 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:11:04

To be honest, that picture sounds a fair depiction that would suit most politicians.

WorraLiberty Tue 12-Jul-16 11:14:24

Gosh I'm stumped for words OP.

Have you genuinely never, ever seen a meme or any kind of post, taking the piss out of male politicians? confused

FairyDogMother11 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:16:42

I saw a meme just the other day listing five reasons why David Cameron is a lizard man...

sorenofthejnaii Tue 12-Jul-16 11:17:11

Now this is what you should be complaining about...

justpeachy74 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:24:11

Fair enough. I think I've just stopped paying attention.

I didn't see that Slap Gove app going around Edmund. I bet that was popular!

t4gnut Tue 12-Jul-16 11:24:55

Look at her record. She's not a fluffy hope for the future candidate - she is a very nasty tory who has been at the forefront of eroding human rights.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Tue 12-Jul-16 11:27:14

Really steely is perhaps exactly what we need during exit negotiations.

EdmundCleverClogs Tue 12-Jul-16 11:29:06

It was, but imagine the outrage of it was a Slap May app. There are double standard everywhere, on both sides.

RepentAtLeisure Tue 12-Jul-16 11:37:21

The lizard thing is standard for paranoid types who virtually live on the internet. They think anyone who is doing well for themselves must be harnessing some supernatural power!

I've seen people slagging off her looks, but they did that to Cameron too - hamhead, spam face, C3P0 made from pork products, etc.

t4gnut Tue 12-Jul-16 15:21:18

Really steely is perhaps exactly what we need during exit negotiations.

Good luck with that idea - legal challenge have only just begun. Could be years to get through them all and various appal stages.

LittleLionMansMummy Tue 12-Jul-16 15:51:48

Op I do think that women in the public eye, including female politicians, have their looks and what they're wearing pored over and dissected so much more than men and I find it very irritating. I think in this case a lot of politicians have received similar treatment though.

I too hate that she keeps getting compared to Maggie, though in a way it's understandable because Maggie, who also happened to be a Tory, was the UK's only other female PM. That in itself speaks volumes so of course comparisons will be drawn - there's sadly not a large pool of counterparts to choose from.

I don't agree with her politics but think it says a lot about her character that she has stepped forward at a time when the other rats have abandoned the ship. Let's face it, she can't do worse than her male predecessors can she? I wish her luck and hope she can indeed begin to reunite the UK. That might be wishful thinking of course, but I think we need a strong leader now who can negotiate well. I think she's the right person for the job right now. If only there was a credible opposition though! I'm pleased to see strong, female politicians making progress (and include the SNP and Green leaders in that).

justpeachy74 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:31:59

Thanks Little you put that very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now