To want a functional pastry brush!!!

(29 Posts)
ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 19:29:43

Yes I know, stepford wifey thread of the day but I am so fed up with shit pastry brushes and I have bought several and they're all shit.

The silicone ones are annoying and flap about and don't work very well. But any other kind I buy sheds hairs on the food – surely that's a basic no-no in a pastry brush! (And I NEVER say "no-no", boak)

I'm not doing some kind of bake-off fantasy creations here, just everyday making the odd pie, bread buns etc.

So recommend me your fantastic pastry brush please MNers, I will cough for the right one that will last, work and not cover my pastry in disgusting hairs angry

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 19:30:24

cough UP that is!

StillRabbit Mon 11-Jul-16 19:33:54

Personally I love my silicon pastry brushes from Lakelands.

Idiotxit Mon 11-Jul-16 19:37:23

I second Lakeland silicone. Mine's 10 years old and not aged a day grin

pigsDOfly Mon 11-Jul-16 19:46:04

I stopped buying pastry brushes years ago OP for the very reasons you mention.,

I found the silicone one always seem a bit unyielding and the milk or whatever ends up in blobs on the pastry. The hairy ones, as well as being impossible to clean properly do, as you say, just leave hairs everywhere.

I don't bake as much as I used to but long ago I just resorted to pouring the liquid onto a bit of kitchen towel and spreading it around as much as possible that way.

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 19:49:42

My silicones ones do last, but I just don't like the way they work. Don't hold much liquid and you have little control over it.

Hmmm pigs I'll try the kitchen roll method but it sounds ... unsatisfying.

I want to have the feeling you get when you paint with a paintbrush – but without having to eat hairs.

holdinghands Mon 11-Jul-16 19:51:03

I have an old hairy one but now I just use my fingergrin

LilySnape Mon 11-Jul-16 19:51:53

I just use my fingers for wiping whatever onto the the pastry or a bit of kitchen towl never bothered with brushes

MiaowJario Mon 11-Jul-16 20:10:38

I like my silicon Lakeland brush.

But why not just get a large synthetic artists paint brush from an art supply shop? A decent quality one won't shed.

CakeNinja Mon 11-Jul-16 20:13:11

Oh I'm so with you on this Op.
Silicone ones do nothing, everything drips off them before you get it even near the food and then just blobs out the remainder in one go.
And the hairy ones make my sausage rolls go hairy.
Irritating.

HappydaysArehere Mon 11-Jul-16 20:17:33

Goodness, I have been using a bristle one for ages and never noticed hairs escaping. Now I am wondering if I have served up hairs without seeing them. You have got me wondering!!

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 20:19:35

Happydays maybe you have the holy grail, a non-shedding one - what make is it?

Lovelydiscusfish Mon 11-Jul-16 20:20:12

Yes, the two outcomes you describe from the two different types of brushes seem the only outcomes available... I go silicon, as it just seems more hygienic, but I agree they are a bit pants. Pleasing day-glo colours though.
The kitchen roll option does work well too.

pigsDOfly Mon 11-Jul-16 20:20:55

The kitchen towel method is unsatisfying tbh Zans but it beats having hairy sausage rolls.

DairyFogMother Mon 11-Jul-16 20:50:41

YANBU to expect a pastry bruth not to shed. Buy a decent painbrush, it'll last a lifetime and won't shed. Wash and rub the bristles before using the first time. After use, wash,wrap in kitchen roll to hold the shape.

MyAmDeryCross Mon 11-Jul-16 21:13:00

Another fan of kitchen roll.

Holdinghands grin

TroysMammy Mon 11-Jul-16 21:21:09

I've got a pastry brush with red bristles. Can't remember where I got it from as I've had it for years. It doesn't shed like the traditional ones but I prefer a silicon one.

OohMavis Mon 11-Jul-16 21:33:24

You need to buy the ones that look like artists' paintbrushes. Preferably bound with metal. Those round wooden ones you can get from poundland are shit!

Silicon brushes are useless.

NoCakeLeft Mon 11-Jul-16 21:34:41

I like my lakelands silicone one, but if you don't, try regular plastic one. Flat with plastic bristles. Like on the photo.

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 21:35:58

I like the real paintbrush idea but I'd worry it wasn't for food use and I'd be ingesting some kind of weird art chemicals. Might have a look at sniff some though.

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 21:36:46

NoCake that looks like a contender.

ThePyjamasOfACat Mon 11-Jul-16 21:38:50

"I have an old hairy one but now I just use my finger"

Quote of the week surely!

Is there such a thing -if there was I imagine Lakeland would do it- as a fillable silicone one? Like those paint pen things you can get with the sponge tip, and a reservoir for the paint. Except this would have a silicone head and bristles so rather than having to dip it in the liquid you could squeeze it out...

PreAdvent13610 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:40:14

The ultimate MN pastry brush ?
hmm

TroysMammy Mon 11-Jul-16 21:41:12

Red bristle pastry brush Amazon £2.65. It's the one I have but didn't get it from Amazon. Amazon wasn't invented when I got mine grin

ZansForCans Mon 11-Jul-16 21:45:28

Pyjamas that's making me think of that playdough barbie hair system you used to get. (Or did I dream it...)

I've had a brainwave though - I'm now thinking of trying one of those boots travel spray bottles and spraying my pastry instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now