To be so pleased that wheelchair tennis is on tv

(15 Posts)
Mummyme1987 Mon 11-Jul-16 14:09:01

Never seen it before, not saying it hadn't been on but today the wheelchair champions were on this morning. I'm hoping this is a change for the good.

IceRoadDucker Mon 11-Jul-16 14:11:38

I agree. I loved the focus on Paralympics in 2012 and long may it continue (and grow).

Besides anything else, it's much more interesting to watch than non-wheelchair tennis!

OnlyEatsToast Mon 11-Jul-16 14:14:22

I totally agree but I think it's awful that there has been so little coverage given to it - Gordon Reid won both doubles on Sat and singles yesterday yet everyone was still focused on Andy Murray yesterday as the only Brit/Scot at wimbledon! (And of course not mentioning Heather Waton or Jordan Whiley)

sandrabedminster Mon 11-Jul-16 14:16:19

Sounds fab op, will watch later. Thanks

StarlingMurmuration Mon 11-Jul-16 14:17:16

It's often on towards the tail end of Wimbledon. It's a shame there isn't more coverage.

marblestatue Mon 11-Jul-16 14:46:24

I agree it was great to see, but yes, more coverage please!

KayTee87 Mon 11-Jul-16 15:24:13

Sounds great - I loved the Paralympics in 2012 too. I was really inspired by how much these athletes had to overcome to get where they were. Watched far more of the Paralympics than I did the Olympics.

Mummyme1987 Mon 11-Jul-16 15:58:32

I'm hoping the to stations will realise we want to see more of disabled sport.

trufflesnout Mon 11-Jul-16 17:34:15

I think a lot of people take away the same from the paralympics KayTee, but I feel strongly enough about this to let you know that that sentiment is starting to become quite old-fashioned. The only barriers these athletes have overcome are the exact same barriers that hold you back from becoming an olympian smile

Having a chronic health condition or no lower legs or dwarfism is just part of life. Stella Young explains it much better than I do: www.ted.com/talks/stella_young_i_m_not_your_inspiration_thank_you_very_much?language=en

seahorse106 Wed 13-Jul-16 00:35:06

I also have Transverse Myelitis which is the same disability as Gordon Reid and I've recently taken up wheelchair tennis. It's great and I love it but a bit miffed that a tennis wheelchair costs around £1000 upwards.

Mummyme1987 Wed 13-Jul-16 09:37:40

The price of wheelchairs generally is shocking, mine was well over £2500. And that's just a semi active frame. 😞
Glad you are enjoying playing seahorse x

CocktailQueen Wed 13-Jul-16 09:39:53

This year is the first time wheelchair tennis has been on at Wimbledon, I thought? It was great to see it.

MidniteScribbler Wed 13-Jul-16 12:02:03

I wish it aired here. I'd love to watch it. Every so often the wheelchair basketball is on (at about 3am) and it's fantastic to watch. Brutal, but awesome!

Mummyme1987 Wed 13-Jul-16 12:16:23

I can't watch wheelchair basketball or rugby I'm too squeamish ! Brutal!

Iloveowls2 Wed 13-Jul-16 13:35:05

I think we need more coverage of non-core sports in general to inspire the broadest range of people to have a go. We went to the paralympics in 2012 and it was fantastic, it was amazing to see all these athletes at the top of their game. I for one am fed up with the only sports being shown by tv being mens football and 2 weeks of (usually mens) tennis at wimbledon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now