To go on holiday without DS and not tell him about it...

(64 Posts)
longer6528 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:29:16

DS is 11. He is doing a sports camp in the summer holidays, where they stay there for the week (sleep there and everything) as its intense training for tennis.

Anyway, we have found a nice holiday that we fancy. Would it be really bad if we went without him and just never told him? He'd know no difference, as he wouldn't have been here anyway!

Lweji Mon 11-Jul-16 10:30:52

So, you'd have to lie about any photos he could find and make sure you never mention the holiday in conversation?

Think about it.

BarbarianMum Mon 11-Jul-16 10:31:41

Why do you need to lie?

ingeniousidiot Mon 11-Jul-16 10:31:41

YANBU taking a holiday, but YABVVU to keep it a secret. Why would you do that?

EatShitDerek Mon 11-Jul-16 10:32:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TealLove Mon 11-Jul-16 10:32:56

Just be honest with him. You are parents but you are human beings with a life and I'm sure he'll understand.

blueskyinmarch Mon 11-Jul-16 10:33:18

Don't lie to him, just tell him.

HallowedMimic Mon 11-Jul-16 10:33:48

Seriously? You'd never ever mention the trip in front of him, or allude to anything that happened there?

How odd.

I'd just tell him you were going away that week too, I don't suppose he'll mind. My children are quite used to us all making arrangements for time spent apart.

As long as you have an emergency contact who can deal with problems at the camp/summer school it will be fine.

He is your child, not a sibling you are jealous of and need to hide things from with plotting and scheming and secrets. confused

longer6528 Mon 11-Jul-16 10:33:53

But he'll want to come and I'd feel bad sad he'd be upset about it

Lweji Mon 11-Jul-16 10:35:05

So, you are prepared to lie to your child?

He will find out you went and that you lied. Great job.

TheFairyCaravan Mon 11-Jul-16 10:35:24

So there's your answer right there. You'd be very, very unreasonable to lie.

Who is going on the holiday?

whatsagoodusername Mon 11-Jul-16 10:36:11

We did this a bit by accident with our DC, but they are 4 and 5. They went to a caravan holiday with granny and cousins because we were having a weekend away. We spent the entire time leading up to it bigging up their holiday that we never actually mentioned our own.

We got in the car after dropping them off and headed to the airport. Got halfway there and realised we hadn't told them we were going.

They didn't notice. But I'm not sure you could do it at 11.

Euphemia Mon 11-Jul-16 10:36:22

He's getting a week's tennis, it's not like he's being left home alone. hmm

Just tell him. The world doesn't revolve around him.

OptimisticSix Mon 11-Jul-16 10:38:34

So if you're going with you partner Telkom DS it's a grown up holiday and you and DP with be holding hands and kissing at every opportunity. That would but enough to make my 11 year old roll his eyes, tell me I'm disgusting and leave the room... don't think he'll want to come then :D

MoggieMaeEverso Mon 11-Jul-16 10:38:43

Huh? Just tell him! If he complains, tell him he's getting a nice tennis holiday and you're not getting one of those, so you're quits!

OptimisticSix Mon 11-Jul-16 10:39:40

*tell not Telkom... my autocorrect is ridiculous!

Whathaveilost Mon 11-Jul-16 10:39:41

I've been going away like this for years. DS is now 17 but has been playing hockey since he was 9. Every year he goes on hockey camp and I go away.

When I tell him where I intend to go and he fancies it he puts on a mock rage for laughs ( no wonder he got A in drama!). When I tell him he could always cancel hickey camp and come he always says ' y'alright mum, I'll stick to camp!' ( it's like a script we go through every year, it's a tradition now!! )

I'm guessing your son is passionate about tennis. If so there shouldn't be an issue.

gamerchick Mon 11-Jul-16 10:40:45

I don't think I could do that. Accidents happen at camps, I would be thinking how would he feel if he hurt himself and I was off on my jollys. In fact my luck that would probably happen, I get away with nowt!

It'll also be hard to keep it covered up afterwards.

No it's not a good idea.

LIZS Mon 11-Jul-16 10:41:35

Then go somewhere he wouldn't want to go. Are there any other dc?

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 11-Jul-16 10:43:54

Just a thought have you put plans in place in case your DS is injured and needs to be collected? If not please do so!

Lweji Mon 11-Jul-16 10:44:43

Sometimes I have to travel to nice places alone for work. DS (also 11) would like to go, but I just tell him that he has plenty of time to travel during his life time. At his age I had never even left the country.
It's fine to do different things and go to separate places.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 11-Jul-16 10:46:40

What pps said.

Thelyingbitchandthewardrobe Mon 11-Jul-16 10:47:03

How are you going to explain your sun tan?

Imagine he gets a tummy bug and has to be collected early. He'd be gutted if the coach had to tell him 'your grans coming to get you because your mum can't get back from majorca' or something!

You've got to tell him.

CakeNinja Mon 11-Jul-16 10:49:04

Well he can't have everything can he? confused Sorry, you haven't posted much info but from this it sounds as though he's a bit spoilt. So what, he misses out, it's not because he's being forced to stay home alone, it's because he's at tennis camp.

Did he get any say in going to summer camp? Was it his choice?

NavyandWhite Mon 11-Jul-16 10:51:12

Gosh how weird.

He's going away himself. Why shouldn't you?
My Ds is going away next year with school, DH and I are already talking about where we will go whilst he's away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now