To leave DS in the house really quick?

(26 Posts)
dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 01:36:37

I'm a single mum, of a DS who is 1. He still sleeps in a cot, so he can't get up. I really need to go to the 24 hour garage to get stuff that I absolutely need. WIBU to go there? I'd be gone 5 mins. If it's a definite no, I won't.

lady2016 Mon 11-Jul-16 01:39:56

No anything can happen to you sorry

FirstTimerAtBeingAMummy Mon 11-Jul-16 01:40:58

Please don't. Think about the things that could go wrong. They in all likelihood wouldn't but it's not worth the risk. Nothing is essential enough to leave him in the house alone.

Somerville Mon 11-Jul-16 01:42:08

Personally I wouldn't. I'd lift him, wrap him in a blanket and take him with me.

Quite a few threads on here people say they would.

dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 01:42:08

I need nappies sad

Junosmum Mon 11-Jul-16 01:43:03

It's not worth it on the slight chance something goes wrong in that 5mins.

Risk assessment is not just about likelihood of risk but also about severity. So whilst the likelihood of something happening is low, the things that could happen are very serious.

dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 01:43:50

Fair enough, I'll have to take him with me first thing. Thank you

GeezAJammyPeece Mon 11-Jul-16 01:44:06

Well, you posted 5 minutes ago; so you should be back by now...

I am curious to know what you need so desperately and that a service station shop sells that you can't wait a few hours until the little guy gets up for the morning, then you can both go out for it though?

LadyB49 Mon 11-Jul-16 01:44:25

If you need nappies use hand towels to tide you over. Hope you have safety pins smile

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 11-Jul-16 01:44:28

You could improvise until the morning surely? Towels, muslins?

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 11-Jul-16 01:45:57

Or a taxi company might do a grab for you?

CotedePablo Mon 11-Jul-16 01:46:47

Phone a taxi and get them to pick some up.

dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 01:47:17

Oh, would they do that? I never knew they would

Somerville Mon 11-Jul-16 01:48:31

Yes, like PP's say, improvise a nappy, like thousands of generations of human beings wore before disposables were invented. Don't stress yourself going out for them in the middle of the night. flowers

GeezAJammyPeece Mon 11-Jul-16 01:53:00

X-post as my phone internet was slow reloading.

Suddenly realizing you've run out of nappies is rubbish, I remember it happening and hoping that they wouldn't explode during the night meaning I had to use the last one before morning; when I could get to the shops (there were no late night shops around us)

As pps have said, it's not really to do with him sleeping fine for those 5 mins; its everything that could happen inside and outside the house whilst you are gone.

Think worst case scenario: If you were involved in an accident, would anyone know he was there alone?

Hopefully, you can hold out until the morning; but if not; please, please take him with you. Xx

lifeofdino Mon 11-Jul-16 01:53:12

or use Amazon prime now, they deliver within 2 hours or something.

lifeofdino Mon 11-Jul-16 01:54:51

...also with nappies, have you looked through absolutely everywhere? I usually find one last one in the bottom of a bag somewhere.

dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 01:56:47

Thank you

GeezAJammyPeece Mon 11-Jul-16 02:01:34

As lifeofdino says, you'll find one lurking somewhere almost definitely just after you return from shop and if not, you just until you get some fashion one out of something

Absofrigginlootly Mon 11-Jul-16 02:09:48

Just cut up a towel and use safety pins or a bit of duct tape?!
Or a small pair of pants (do you have any toddler pants?) stuffed with cotton wool pads or the cut up towel, or even a wad of kitchen roll!

But definitely check the bottom of bags, cupboards etc, you may find a stray one!!

Can you text a friend to drop some off first thing for you? Or a neighbour with children would surely give you a couple??

If he has an accident in the night just lie him on a towel under the cot sheet

Absofrigginlootly Mon 11-Jul-16 02:12:56

Or a thick heavy duty sanitary pad inside a cut up towel??

dontwantyoujudging Mon 11-Jul-16 02:14:17

I have puppy training pads from when our dog was a puppy. I think I'll be able to make something up with that

suzybe Mon 11-Jul-16 02:25:41

Necessity makes mums creative. There's always a way to cope or none of our kids would ever grow up safely.

Somerville Mon 11-Jul-16 02:42:12

Puppy training pads. grin

Perfect!

Itsaplayonwords Mon 11-Jul-16 02:42:42

Realistically, what's the worst that could happen if you don't get nappies tonight? Even if he ends up sleeping without a nappy the worst case scenario is that you will have to change his clothes and bedding a few times. Whereas the worst that could happen if you went to the shop doesn't bear thinking about.

Try to make something out of the puppy training pad and then before you put him back in his cot lay another puppy pad on the sheet where he will lay and then put another fitted sheet on the mattress (so the puppy pad is sandwiched between). That way if your Blue Peter nappy does leak you'll just need to whip off the top sheet and the puppy pad and you'll have a fresh bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now