AIBU to be fed up of little writing on packages of food that I can't read

(35 Posts)
RosieSW Mon 11-Jul-16 01:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 11-Jul-16 01:13:20

On a serious note - has anyone else noticed that the more information that has to be included on packaging has made readibilty almost non-existent?

I don't think it's that smile

MardyBra Mon 11-Jul-16 01:16:37

1. Buy new glasses (because everyone else can read the little writing)

I'm short sighted and i can read the little writing with my varifocals.

MardyBra Mon 11-Jul-16 01:18:03

Seriously you should be able to read this stuff unless you have severe sight problems. Find a better optician.

Topseyt Mon 11-Jul-16 01:20:47

You are not alone. I have an up-to-date prescription (regularly tested, and recently too) in my reading glasses and I find this tiny print virtually impossible too.

I am not short-sighted. I am long sighted. My prescription is correct. It is simply unreadable.

Topseyt Mon 11-Jul-16 01:22:10

I should add, long-sighted people can still need a separate prescription for reading. I am one.

OopsThereGoMyTrousers Mon 11-Jul-16 03:44:34

I have to have a magnifying glass in my kitchen drawer to read some cooking times and I cope perfectly without glasses for everything else

Mirador Mon 11-Jul-16 03:57:11

Have a look at magnifier pendants. Some really lovely ones around and some quite cheap too. I use one now with a 5x magnification and I've had to remind my boyfriend no end of times that me being longsighted doesn't mean I can't see far away, it's entirely the opposite.

I got tired of rummaging for the magnifying glass, so I bought a tiny one, and promptly lost it of course, I swear one day I'll find it in the most daftest of places. So I got the pendant one, mine is a cute looking owl type one, and it's just like a long necklace really.

I totally agree about the more info the smaller the font seems to be. Even worse when you get foodstuffs from USA and they have the added sticker to comply with our food laws. It's like trying to read squiggly lines and make it into words.

Ifailed Mon 11-Jul-16 06:19:21

agree with you, OP. Have new prescription specs (it would be another thread about the extortionate cost of glasses) and struggle, especially with poor colour combinations like you mention. Complain to the CEO and also mention on their FB page if they have one.
Having worked for a major retailer, they do actually take sensible complaints seriously.

Statelychangers Mon 11-Jul-16 06:23:28

I have noticed this too, it's very annoying. I just don't buy the product.

Fluffyears Mon 11-Jul-16 07:15:14

I can read them fine and I am Seeiously short sighted. My mother who is long sighted continually means about 'daft wee writing that no one can read', you may need varifocals. Mind you DM used to maintain she didn't need glasses because she could see things in the distance teally well but not be able to read a menu.

AlbusPercival Mon 11-Jul-16 07:21:57

There is a legal minimum size for the legally mandatory information. If they are going below that definitely complain. Would also complain if the colours are not clear I would also feed that back

However if it is packaging from all companies you may need the optician.

eurochick Mon 11-Jul-16 07:31:21

I think you need new glasses. I wear glasses and have never struggled.

Molecule Mon 11-Jul-16 07:47:08

No it's not new glasses you need, it's the tiny writing in daft colours against other daft colours. I am long sighted, but not badly (can still read a newspaper without glasses, just more comfortable with) and even with my new, only-for-close-up-work glasses can't read some packaging. It drives me mad and I've thought of having a magnifying glass in the kitchen. Thankfully no-one here has an allergy or intolerance otherwise it would be a real pain.

I think one of the worst culprits is Lidl as they put the info on in every language of every country they supply to, meaning it has to be little.

cherrytree63 Mon 11-Jul-16 07:52:58

I have the same problem. I have to take the package up to the window or even outside to read it! But I also struggle to read anything other than black(or dark) print against a white background anyway.

BluePitchFork Mon 11-Jul-16 07:53:05

you are not alone.
some colour combination of background/writing just starts to bounce around and it's difficult to read. esp if the print has a 'shadow' or is on a shiny surface.

so I'm in the 1) & 2) camp.
get to the optician for an eye test and (possibly) new glasses, but also report the worst offenders to trading standards.

Noodledoodledoo Mon 11-Jul-16 07:56:48

I am with you. I find the worst is Aldi probably similar reasons to Lidl - one label for all languages. Even with my new glasses recently updated I struggle to decipher some labels. Often it's a poor choice of colour combinations.

JsOtherHalf Mon 11-Jul-16 09:23:14

I end up using a magnifier tool on my mobile phone.

On my previous phone I used the camera and magnified.

I can read newspapers and laptop screens with no problem.

Artandco Mon 11-Jul-16 09:25:13

I say new glasses

I wear glasses also and can read them easily ( one eye very strong prescription)

electricflyzapper Mon 11-Jul-16 09:26:36

You need new glasses, though your thread title made me smile and brought instant recognition and sympathy from dh and I. He is late 40s and I am early 50s, and despite reading glasses and regular optician appointments, it is our daily lament that we cannot read anything - big print, small print, and anything in between - without reaching for our glasses.

I now know why people wear them round their necks on chains.

Footle Mon 11-Jul-16 09:31:53

"I wear glasses and I have never struggled'. Ffs. Glasses/contact lenses don't magically bring everyone to the same standard vision.

Backingvocals Mon 11-Jul-16 09:42:02

Agree. I find OTC medicines quite bad for this. Especially the ones where you have to peel back a label to read the instruction on the other side. A) It's impossible to peel back the label now let alone when I'm 80 and arthritic and B) It's all just tiny. Packages have shrunk too (think the fad for "concentrated washing up liquid" which everyone uses at the same rate at the old stuff so it's basically a ploy to make you buy a new bottle more frequently) so there is even less space for writing.

Laiste Mon 11-Jul-16 09:44:05

YANBU
I too have an up to date prescription for my reading glasses (i'm very long sighted) and struggle with the smallest writing on packaging.

My optician told me that in recent years the mechanics for printing on packaging can now handle much smaller font than in the past. The fonts on a lot of modern packaging IS smaller than in the not too distant past.

My eldest DD has just had an eye test as she was struggling to read some of the smallest writing on the labels at work (docs receptionist). She was told she's got 20x20 vision. So it's the bloody labels which are at fault.

RosieSW Tue 12-Jul-16 22:22:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tessticklesyourfancy Tue 12-Jul-16 22:32:06

I wear reading glasses and I'm the same as you OP when it comes to the daft colours used on packaging. My optician said it's very common for people to struggle read font when it's black on red let's say but can read the same size font of black on white. Oh the joys of age grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now