To only give them this.

(34 Posts)
NotSoYumMum01 Sun 10-Jul-16 14:48:42

Two teachers took DD to hospital today and then took her to the pharmacy to get her prescription before making sure she got home safely. DD bought them both a box of celebrations and a card to say thank you out of her own money. Is this enough?

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 14:50:44

I think that is lovely.

Hope she's okay! flowers

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jul-16 14:51:06

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/thirty_days_only/2681174-Is-this-enough

Why the duplicate thread?

NotSoYumMum01 Sun 10-Jul-16 14:54:47

Thank you koala and purple because I was talking to another mum today and she said that wasn't enough so I thought I'd get more responses on AIBU.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 14:56:49

I completely disagree with her - of course it's enough! I think they'd be embarrassed by anything bigger, actually.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 10-Jul-16 14:56:57

Depends what you can afford. If money is tight the it's enough...

Liiinoo Sun 10-Jul-16 14:58:05

It is a lovely gesture and I am sure the card will mean more to them than the chocolates. What a nice DD you must have.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 15:02:21

Eh, Middle?

It's a child. Buying thank-you chocolates with her own money. I'm pretty sure 'money is tight'.

NotSoYumMum01 Sun 10-Jul-16 15:02:26

Thank you all,I could get them something more expensive but DD already got them the chocolates and card to show she appreciates them taking the time to take her when they should of been teaching. Don't want to make too much of a big deal out of it.

NotSoYumMum01 Sun 10-Jul-16 15:03:34

I could get the teachers a bigger gift but DD got them something out of her pocket money that she earns so she didn't spend too much

MiddleClassProblem Sun 10-Jul-16 15:04:39

koala how does that have any bearing on money being tight?

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jul-16 15:04:58

There's no need-they wouldn't have done it expecting a present. What you've got is fine.

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jul-16 15:06:15

It's a child. Buying thank-you chocolates with her own money. I'm pretty sure 'money is tight'.

Eh? I don't follow that logic at all. Children don't generally get loads of pocket money and it's nicer the present came from the daughter's own money.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 10-Jul-16 15:06:54

I think it's sweet she paid for it herself and means more

chickenowner Sun 10-Jul-16 15:09:06

That's lovely of you and your daughter. As a teacher I wouldn't expect anything, so some chocolates and a card would be very much appreciated I'm sure!

I took a little boy to hospital when I was an NQT, many years ago. His Mum gave me a giant bar of Dairy Milk chocolate the next day and I was very touched and happy to receive it.

MillionToOneChances Sun 10-Jul-16 15:13:00

I think that's lovely. What I would be tempted to do is get DD to send card and gift from herself and you send a lovely handwritten thank you note saying how grateful you are and that DD wanted to buy the gift herself because she was so grateful.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 15:14:41

That was my point. The person buying the present doesn't have much money, because she's a child!

I don't understand why you think the parents' finances have anything to do with it.

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 15:16:27

I'm agreeing with you, Purple, although I obviously wasn't clear.

I understood Middle to be saying 'It's enough if it's all you can afford'. Which I thought was odd.

acasualobserver Sun 10-Jul-16 15:16:56

I was a teacher for 40 years. I ended up sitting in A&E with a few kids, although usually just until their parent or guardian could get there. I don't think any of them bought me a present! The gift and card your daughter has already got will be very gratefully received - really no need for anything else.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 10-Jul-16 15:18:35

I was going by the OP feeling she should give more, implying she would be paying for it not her kid. I'm sure some in that situation wouldn't give anything and the teachers wouldn't expect it.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 10-Jul-16 15:20:07

The present size is irrelevant it is a token gesture to show gratitude and I'm sure the teachers will appreciate it.

Goingtobeawesome Sun 10-Jul-16 15:34:35

Lovely of DD but I'd be giving a card and gift from me too.

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jul-16 15:49:19

Apologies koala I must have misread your post. smile

NovemberInDailyFailLand Sun 10-Jul-16 15:54:55

It's wonderful and very good manners smile

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Jul-16 15:56:01

No worries - it's my fault, my post wasn't at all clear! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now