To be very emotional about youngest dc starting school

(5 Posts)
Kiddiewinks2008 Sun 10-Jul-16 09:41:57

Help me to be positive as I am feeling ridiculously sad & emotional about my youngest starting school and this being the end of an era. She has always been in childcare 3 days a week anyway but we have always had one day in the week just for us and I am feeling bereft at the thought of not having that anymore.
Aibu to ask for some reasons to be positive instead of feeling so sad!!

edwinbear Sun 10-Jul-16 09:46:42

Watching their little minds expand with all the new things they learn and experience is the best thing ever. Picking them up and hearing all their, often confused, stories is fantastic. I'll never forget ds coming home one day adamant that he needed to take his toy ELC red guitar into school the next day. A quick e mail to his teacher revealed he had a letter asking if anyone wanted to sign up to guitar lessons grin

allowlsthinkalot Sun 10-Jul-16 18:05:58

When is he five? Do you know you can send him part time until the term after his fifth birthday? That's what I'm doing with my daughter who isn't five until April so doesn't need to be full time until year one.

The school might not know this but they can mark the absence with a code x for a child below compulsory school age and so their absence figures can't be affected. Neither can you be penalised for absences.

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Sun 10-Jul-16 18:09:54

I would think twice about sending children in mornings only. The afternoon is usually let's explore, fun play, sports etc and is great for them to be with the other children and make more friends. Mine would have hated to leave their friends at lunchtime

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 10-Jul-16 18:16:29

It's the beginning of a whole new era. Parenting is all about giving your children wings so they can fly by themselves, going to school is a huge part of that.

You could volunteer in the school, go on trips etc so you can still be really involved.

This isn't a negative, I promise you. It is hard though I just sobbed like a baby at my ds leavers assembly, he's off to secondary school flowers and cake and wine for you op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now