AIBU to leave my job

(9 Posts)
Untethered Fri 08-Jul-16 18:51:28

i've been in current role for 4.5 years, the most junior person in a team of 5. 2 years ago, my colleague left and I took on all her workload. I was happy to do this to get more experience. I was given the news last summer that I would be promoted to her role within 6 months. A few months later I was told someone would be recruited for my original junior role. 6 months later, nothing happened and I asked my manager if promotion was going to happen soon. She nodded but I thought she seemed unenthusiastic. Now I've been told it's not happening for a while.

I feel very upset and disillusioned. I have put in a meeting with manager where I will set out my case for promotion. The thing is, if she says no, or if she says it will take another 6 months, I just want to tell her that I think it's time to move on. I don't want to wait another 6 months, even if they tell me in writing this time.

It's a great job otherwise and I feel like I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I just think they've had me perform the work of 2 people over the past two years, given me consistently good/excellent feedback in appraisals and now just want to save money by continuing to have me perform both roles. AIBU to feel this way?

suharding Fri 08-Jul-16 19:54:59

If she says no, it sounds like it probably is time to move on, as it sounds like they are not in a hurry to promote you (and there could be any number of reasons for that), but you should be prepared for that to happen. I wouldn't threaten tell her that you're then going to leave, I'd just quietly take time looking for a better role.

Middleoftheroad Fri 08-Jul-16 19:59:20

Unfortunately this happens in so many places. My job is a bit like this - promising support yet it foesnt come and trying to roll several jobs into one with no extra pay. When you feel taken for granted and led on and they wont commit to promotion or support then it's time to go if you can. Find snother job in secret then hand in yr notice. If only I took my own advice - sounds so simple!!!!!

KamMum Fri 08-Jul-16 21:16:21

Life is too short to be unappreciated. I agree you should find a job in secret then hand in your notice.

Untethered Fri 08-Jul-16 21:29:53

Thanks everyone. The job is a 5/10 minute drive away and a new job would mean an hour's commute. That's a big reason why I have stayed. Would like to have first child this year so thinking of maternity leave factor too.

The main thing is i just feel betrayed. I had respect for these people and now I'm starting to take it all personally.

I really want to tell them I am seeking other opportunities. Is that a real no-no?

LotsOfShoes Fri 08-Jul-16 21:31:53

In a lot of fields you need to move to get ahead, unfortunately. You are much cheaper this way - still junior and doing the work of 2 people, incl more senior tasks. There's little incentive for them to promote you. I would set up some interviews before having the meeting.

Middleoftheroad Mon 11-Jul-16 17:18:22

Don't tell them as it puts you in the weaker position and they may think you are trying to push them to give u a rise etc. Find a new job then hit em with it. Sadly, thats when many employers realise your value. Good luck!

Pearlman Mon 11-Jul-16 17:22:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blueshoes Mon 11-Jul-16 18:25:33

I was in that position. Did a job meant for 2 people over most of 3 years because the second person in the role was on maternity leave for most of that time without a maternity cover. I would not have been that disgruntled if my employer compensated me in terms of bonus but whilst my bonuses were higher than others, it was pitiful considered I was saving them so much money.

Anyway, at the end if last year, I started interviewing in ernest and found a job that paid me 40% more. When I interviewed, they were impressed I was doing 2 people's job for a decent time and operating at a higher level than my title suggested. I also acquired a lot of skills which would not have been possible had my colleague been in the role.

When I told my boss, she tried to buy me back but backed off when she realised how much more I was getting. She jokingly said she would ask me to stay for everyday that I was serving out my notice. I think it was too little too late.

Once I started looking, I realised how much better options there are in the market. It is my ex-employer's loss. The only way to negotiate this is to walk. They might buy you back, they might not. Without an ultimatum, they have no incentive to not continue to exploit your goodwill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now