Should I be worried?

(11 Posts)
Whatcouldpossiblygowrong Thu 07-Jul-16 23:57:38

My other half has medical conditions that mean he has to take pills. The pills all say no alcohol. Very occasionally he will have a small glass but that's about it. He's just come home stinking of alcohol falling over etc. He's had 5/6 pints. I'm annoyed that he's been silly but more to the point will be be ok or should I be worried? Hes now eaten and gone to sleep. Sorry if anyone feels this is a waste of your time to read but it's so late I don't want to disturb anyone and am genuinely a bit worried

PurpleDaisies Fri 08-Jul-16 00:00:13

It is probablh fine. What medication is it?

Whatcouldpossiblygowrong Fri 08-Jul-16 00:08:39

Don't know the names of them- he seems ok just snoring!

Rach168 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:08:51

For the past decade or so I've been taking medication that says 'do not drink' on it while being a regular drinker and I'm still here. It might depend on the medication in question though.

AnecdotalEvidence Fri 08-Jul-16 00:21:54

It really depends on the medication and the effect of the occasional use of alcohol. Most of the time it's unlikely to be that big a deal for a one off

Blink1982 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:38:02

Dp is on depression pills that say don't drink... he does, he's fine on them. Unless he forgets to take a few and has a relapse. When he starts taking them again, the first two weeks are awful and drink makes it hurendous

LauderSyme Fri 08-Jul-16 01:02:03

I just googled "alcohol and medication".
Got loads of useful info that will hopefully put your mind at rest.

user1467101855 Fri 08-Jul-16 01:03:57

You couldn't possibly get any useful info by googling alcohol and medication, especially when you've no idea what medication it is. hmm

LauderSyme Fri 08-Jul-16 01:14:52

I figured the OP would have some idea eg. anti depressant, antibiotic, etc, even if she doesn't know the names. And the main gist was that there aren't many medicines that are actually instantly dangerous when mixed with alcohol, which I thought might reassure the OP.

TheUnsullied Fri 08-Jul-16 01:20:56

Some meds say that for the heck of it, some because of small risks or mild side effects, some because it's actually dangerous. Call 111 for advice or Google each of the medications specifically for interactions with alcohol.

Rememberallball Fri 08-Jul-16 08:51:43

Some drug manufacturers put "Do not drink" warnings on medicine packaging because they've NOT tested the drug in conjunction with alcohol consumption (because they'd never get ethical approval to run the trials) while other manufacturers will put "It's advisable not to drink alcohol" earnings for the same reason but accept that some people treated with their drug will continue to drink no matter what. Some advice will be based on anecdotal evidence - report forms from GP's/hospitals etc who see the potential effects of drugs and alcohol when taken together. Sometimes it's because the medication can affect liver function and, as alcohol can also affect liver function, there is a concern of a greater effect on the liver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now