How to cope with miserable parents?

(4 Posts)
ktalgfdk Thu 07-Jul-16 14:10:36

They're nice to others but so miserable when home. Brings me down too a bit and I resent them for it. I am living with them though which is kind of them, so don't jump down my throat. They're both retired and well-off, I keep out of their way and have an end date to move out so don't think it's caused by me? They've always been like this really.

ABloodyDifficultWoman Thu 07-Jul-16 14:15:14

Not sure what your AIBU is confused. Have they always been like this? Or has it come as a huge surprise to you?

ktalgfdk Thu 07-Jul-16 14:22:20

Ha I'm not sure either. They've kind of akways been this way, they're nice people but treats catastrophise and pretty anxious. They had an adventurous youth and adulthood so must have become worse in recent years? They're 70 now (im early 20s).

toadgirl Thu 07-Jul-16 15:21:53

A lot of people get like this when they're older. My aunt and uncle are like this. It's like they have lost confidence and only see the downsides to getting old. I sometimes find the wilder, more adventurous ones are worse when they get older? It's maybe too much of a contrast to their youth, I don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now