To burn my house down and run away?!

(23 Posts)
Namechangenora40 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:06:57

Someone has just knocked on my door to ask me if I have seen their pet rat that has got out of its cage today. He held his hands up to show how big it is.

I'm literally terrified of rats and mice. My biggest phobia in the world. Im having a panic attack because my back doors have been open all day.

But it's okay he said, as he's super friendly!!

😐😐😐😐😐

I feel on bloody edge!!! He said if I see it can I let him know... I told him he would hear me if I saw it!! I now want to run away 😪

Purplepicnic Wed 06-Jul-16 19:58:32

Invite him in, get him to do a full sweep of your house, under beds etc. If he finds it, he can take it away, if he doesn't, you can relax.

Hassled Wed 06-Jul-16 20:00:47

Yup, burn the house down and then run for the hills. That's what I'd do. I share your terror.

But don't invite him in to do a sweep of your house - he could be anyone. There might be no rat.

Floggingmolly Wed 06-Jul-16 20:03:32

Where does the guy live; that you're so sure it's managed to get into your house? He's probably asking everybody within a fairly wide area, I'm sure there's no real reason to suppose you've got a new tenant smile

BankWadger Wed 06-Jul-16 20:09:43

To quote Monty Python.

Run AWAY! RUN AWAY!

Namechangenora40 Wed 06-Jul-16 20:11:34

He lives at the back of my house. 😐😐😐

Vickyyyy Wed 06-Jul-16 20:11:45

Heh. This reminds me of when I was about 14 and our neighbours pet snake escaped and my mother was terrified to sit on the loo for months and months (snake was never found) as she was convinced it would come up and bite her arse :D

Phobias are fucking awful though.

I would ask the guy to do a sweep of your house, if that wouldn't be too awkward (though I suspect you are past worrying about awkwardness right now)

If this isn't possible/doesn't settle your mind...would it be possible to stay somewhere for a few days? This may seem OTT to some people but I understand how much phobias can take over your life...

FortyFacedFuckers Wed 06-Jul-16 20:13:39

Omg shock I would probably die if I seen it.

--Please tell me you are not anywhere near me-

DesignedForLife Wed 06-Jul-16 20:16:11

Borrow a terrier?

Toddlerteaplease Wed 06-Jul-16 20:20:37

Omg, I'd do the exact same thing. I am terrified of them.

Namechangenora40 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:28:10

I can't sleep because I keep thinking of it. And how big the guy held his hands up saying how big it was! His Dd was with him she looked so sad and only about 4... But a bloody rat!!!!

Snowflakes1122 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:30:19

Borrow a cat...you'll soon find his rat then.

ShtoppenDerFloppen Wed 06-Jul-16 22:34:04

So far this year we have had a hamster found the next day in the walls, had to cut a hole to free it and a crested gecko get loose in our house. Both were the responsibility fault of the same individual.

If it is any consolation, unless your properties have common walls, the rat is highly unlikely to have made its way into your home.

Namechangenora40 Wed 06-Jul-16 22:38:05

There is a lot of cats round here.. Two keep shitting in the front garden.. What if one leaves it on the doorstep in the morning 😷

Iv been in and out of the garden all day, if I had seen it I honestly think I would have shat myself and cried.

What will happen to it if it can't find its way back?! We've had diggers in the bit next to our house today as they are building an alleyway (new housing estate).

Muddledupme Wed 06-Jul-16 23:13:38

My friend lost a bearded dragon for months then found him sunbathing on the shed roof. My daughter lost a corn snake who was never recaptured despite being spotted sliding across the upvc clad dead bathroom ceiling. The ceiling was put up to cover hideous artex and was put up to stay so no chance of removing it and grabbing the snake

Madratlady Wed 06-Jul-16 23:18:52

I've had many pet rats and I'd have been heartbroken to have lost any of them. However the closest I have ever come to any being lost was them being sneaky little sods and hiding when they were out of the cage. Apart from the 2 who got out one evening when dh was out and I was working nights and we're found in the kitchen with a slice of pizza each that they found in the bin. But my point is they're probably hanging out in their house cos it will smell familiar and not braving the scary outdoors to get to your house.

Welshmaenad Thu 07-Jul-16 03:51:16

I've kept rats - they are scared of the new and unfamiliar snd are probably hiding under the sofa in their own home. Very unlikely indeed they would venture across gardens and into your house. Virtually impossible I'd say. Try not to panic!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 07-Jul-16 03:57:41

I feel your pain.

Am wide awake on the sofa having had no sleep as there is a wild mouse in my bedroom. Ive tried to sleep but have being sitting up every ten mins when I hear it and turning the light on. Dh is furious with me and tells me just to go to sleep. Last time I turned the light on it was on top of the chest of drawers staring at me looking like it was about to leap on the bed!

WiddlinDiddlin Thu 07-Jul-16 04:37:17

Another with pet rats here..

They are neophobic, no matter how friendly they are, they are HIGHLY unlikely to wander far from a familiar place and if they DID, they are really not going to get out of his house and garden and across your garden and into your house and then approach you.. no way.

I have had a couple of escapees - one habitual escaper used to get out of the cage and wander around, she went to sleep on a visitors head once (cage in spare room, he was in spare bed, she snuggled up with him!!).. and two got out of another cage and spent three nights in my room, even the DOGS didn't find them and they didn't get out of the room at all - I eventually caught them drinking out of my water glass by the bed.

His rat is almost certainly still in his own home and won't get out, and it if does it will likely get killed before it gets anywhere near your home.

Sallyingforth Thu 07-Jul-16 08:47:01

Phobias are awful, but it is possible to get it treated.
I hope your fear isn't being learned by your children.

Namechangenora40 Thu 07-Jul-16 09:18:10

No my children adore any animals

Sallyingforth Thu 07-Jul-16 12:26:13

That's good to hear smile So many phobias are learned from others.
Have you thought about treatment to get yours sorted? My friend was cured of spider phobia by the NHS.

SylvieB74 Thu 07-Jul-16 12:38:34

This reminds me of a weirdo neighbour of mine who was looking for his lost cat. He live in a house behind mine and said that if u see it I should tell him to come and get it instead of just taking it back? He also had a camera pointing at my house. When I came back in I saw the car in my garden, he'd obvs seen it here as well but just wanted to come in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now