Is it no longer rude to stare?

(64 Posts)
MotherOfFeralChild Mon 04-Jul-16 21:37:15

People of a certain age (50+) stare at our house and I find it really rude. We live in a building that has been 'repurposed', so I understand people might be curious. Some knock on the door and have a chat about it, which is lovely. Others just stand and stare. I was painting a window the other day, when a man walked past slowly with his dog, staring at the front garden. When he realised I had seen him, he looked quite annoyed with me and said something I couldn't hear. The outside looks like a builder's yard and some people stop for long conversations and point to various pallets of materials. Why are people so rude?. Wibu to tell them all to feck off? It's like living in a bloody goldfish bowl.

completecliche Mon 04-Jul-16 21:38:54

I thought it was rude to stare at people not houses.
Aren't they just interested?

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Jul-16 21:39:45

Have you heard the expression "The cat can look at the Queen any time"?

It's a bloody building. I thought you were going to say people were staring at you.

I think it's far ruder and actually quite weird, to knock on some random's door and have a 'lovely chat' about the state of their house confused

FeckinCrutches Mon 04-Jul-16 21:40:16

Er, what? confused why are people knocking on your door?

Naoko Mon 04-Jul-16 21:42:13

Rude to stare at people. Not rude to stare at a building. If they're actually staring in through your windows, yeah, that's weird and nosy, but looking at the brickes and mortar? Nah.

AppleSetsSail Mon 04-Jul-16 21:43:02

Do you live in something like a former church?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 04-Jul-16 21:43:15

So you've deliberately chosen a property that's "different", and now you're annoyed that people are looking at it.

Bit like a teenager dying their hair pink for attention and then growling "wotchewlookinat?" when they get that attention.

Whistlejackets Mon 04-Jul-16 21:43:15

Not rude (and never has been) to look at a house IMO.

CantChoose Mon 04-Jul-16 21:43:51

If you have chosen to live in something so unusually repurposed that the public knock on the door to talk about it, YABU.
My grandparents live in a massive house right on the seafront that they designed themselves to have a big sweeping staircase up to the front door and a bloody turret. Then they get grumpy about people looking at it. hmm

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Jul-16 21:44:38

Is it Nigel Farage's bus?

Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 21:44:50

What was it before?

Maybe they are missing the old pub/church/barn/fire station?

completecliche Mon 04-Jul-16 21:48:07

Or looking for the loo?
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/9462068/From-public-loo-to-private-home-in-pictures.html?frame=2303854

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Mon 04-Jul-16 22:04:16

I'm sort of a bit mystified by the OP. If you have an unusual house, surely you expect people will look? People often stare at ours as they walk past - it's not unusual but it is smart and pretty and part of a row of similar houses so people just look as they walk past. It doesn't bother me at all. I would draw the line at people knocking on the door though. That's just odd.

MimsyBorogroves Mon 04-Jul-16 22:08:45

Do you live in the stomach of a dead tauntaun?

Ivorbig1 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:10:15

We have had many randoms knock and chat about the features of our property, so I don't think it's rude, I considered and rehearsed asking for money from the next person to stop and chat but nobody has knocked since. Sigh. Yabu but make yourself a sign reading "no oglers, no knockers, no staring ... Please. Ought to do the trick.

FeckinCrutches Mon 04-Jul-16 22:13:26

?

Oysterbabe Mon 04-Jul-16 22:28:51

I'm not sure it's ever been rude to stare at buildings.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Mon 04-Jul-16 22:31:05

?

FeckArseIndustries Mon 04-Jul-16 22:34:35

It's never been rude to stare at a building.

RainbowHash Mon 04-Jul-16 22:37:49

Love it! There's some funny threads this evening .... Thank you for those pictures!

DonkeyOaty Mon 04-Jul-16 22:38:41

Giant Beagle House

JedRambosteen Mon 04-Jul-16 22:40:22

I LOVE the crazy snail house. Totes bonkers.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Mon 04-Jul-16 22:40:29

Sorry.

Religieuse Mon 04-Jul-16 22:53:23

I live in a village where having daisies in your front lawn is a hanging offence and attracts small crowds of dog walkers leaning over the hedge and tutting and opining that the world is ending.

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Mon 04-Jul-16 22:59:20

mother shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now