Can a company who isn't involved lie for their client

(13 Posts)
Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 13:49:18

Sorry just for traffic
I am taking my landlord to court I cannot contact my solictor right now. So I need to know of I have messed up.
I have been pissed all day due to receiving some bulls hit letter from landlord.

Landlord has said he will have a professional witness to come into my property to witness noise (I already had noise recorders which showed their was noise)

Landlord wrote an email to my solictor making up lies saying my email address and phone number don't work and noise company cannot contact me

I contacted the noise company and said can they send me an email of the email address I have (which is wromg)
And the phone number they have (again wrog)
And say this was supplied to them via the landlord

Now the man on the phone who apparently owns the company said he needs to speak to the landlord before he does this
I said all I am asking is for u to confirm the details you have for me

He then asked if I wanted the witness to which I said no because I have already filed the court papers and it's gone beyond anything they can help with.

Have I messed up here? By refusing the witness or what I said

I gave him my correct email which the landlord does have and he said he will email me but hasn't yet

I'm on phone typing

Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 13:55:35

Please can someone answer

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 04-Jul-16 14:09:29

I'm no expert but if I were you I'd email the company, giving them your correct details, requesting a read and a delivered receipt for the email (my email programme allows me to do this, expect yours does too). I'd follow up with a letter sent recorded delivery or whatever it is they call it (ask at the Post Office) giving the same information and explicitly asking them to contact you if any questions.

The important thing is that your landlord is not able to claim that the company tried to contact you but you ignored them/gave wrong details. It looks like this is what he's doing - trying to make you seem unreasonable. So be ultra reasonable. smile

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jul-16 14:10:19

Can you contact the cab and talk it through?
It really would be irresponsible for people who dont have all the facts or any legal training to try to give you advice on something that is going to court.

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Jul-16 14:11:39

I understand what a horrible panic you're in, because I was there too. Try to calm down.

Speak to your solicitor as soon as you can. Fingers crossed, it's not insurmountable and he or she will tell you what to do.

Just so you know, I had a boundary dispute with a neighbour. I suggested mediation and they accepted. Then I pulled out because I misunderstood the process. As soon as I received their solicitor's reply, I realised I'd made a big mistake. Their glee was almost jumping off the page. They never wanted to go to mediation but by refusing it, I'd made myself look completely unreasonable, which you must avoid, otherwise a judge will get fed up with you.

I had a horrible weekend. On the Monday my solicitor told me to write them a calm letter apologising for my mistake and wasting their time and asking them to re-engage to mediation. He even got me to write the letter saying that he'd just check it for me to save myself. I loved my solicitor.

They refused and sent me dire threats but my solicitor said no, I'd apologised and tried to make amends in good time and a judge would be very unlikely to hold it against me because I wasn't an expert. He was right. That's what happened in my case.

I'm not a solicitor but it may that yours tells you to do the same thing as mine told me - apologise and invite the company round to measure the noise levels at a convenient date for both of you.

I hope it goes the same way for you. flowers

limitedperiodonly Mon 04-Jul-16 14:14:23

he'd just check it for me to save myself money.

But you must speak to your solicitor before doing anything.

Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 14:27:53

Thank you guys

Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 15:16:54

So should I do mediation even though I'm going to court

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 04-Jul-16 15:19:26

How is that responsible for you being pissed? I'd sober up and deal with it tomorrow if I were you.

Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 15:49:29

Trigger I'm not drunk I'm having a mental breakdown

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jul-16 15:58:36

Cbrook i think when you said you were pissed tigger thought you meant you were pissed.
But you mean pissed as in pissed off dont you?

Tiggeryoubastard Mon 04-Jul-16 16:20:37

Correct Arfnarf. Two totally different things.

Crbrook Mon 04-Jul-16 17:25:21

Yes pissed off I do not drink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now