to want to LTB? (lighthearted)

(17 Posts)
Flossiesmummy Mon 04-Jul-16 03:25:53

Some back info for context.

I'm pregnant and overdue and just getting over a viral infection that saw me in out of hours praying for antibiotics or at least something more than paracetamol to try and cope with the pain. I've been unable to eat, sleep or talk properly due to a swollen tongue and ulcers all over my throat, tongue and mouth. Due to it being viral I've had to just ride it out.

I've passed the germs to DH. I now have to put up with:

THE VOICE - a whiny, slightly nasal version of his normal voice that must be used at all times so everyone knows he's ill.

UNCONTROLLABLE TWITCHING/JERKING - this is necessary so that everybody knows he's in pain but that he's dealing with it as best as he can, poor lamb hmm

WHINING/GROANING - as above, repeated perhaps twice every minute for full effect

LEMSIPS - after a quick count up has had double the recommended amount in the time frame as he's just so sick. Each time one is made, it must be announced so that we all know he's really sick.

THROWING HEAD BACK - another important action, partly because he's too ill to hold his own head for more than a few minutes. This move is especially great when combined with a grasp of the throat region so that the audience knows it's sore.

All of the above actions are paired with an attitude of you can't possibly understand how awful I feel as I'm waaaaay sicker than you. He's just brought a lemsip upstairs, drank it jerkily on the edge of the bed, while combining a mixture of the above manflu actions, waking me up in the process. He's now snoring and I'm here angrily mumsnetting as I can't get back to sleep.

Disclaimer: he actually is really ill as he's not going to work tomorrow and he never has days off. I feel proper sorry for him and for that reason might not LTB. I will also look after him tomorrow and bring him what he needs. He's a good bloke really.

And breathe.--
--
grin

WasDat Mon 04-Jul-16 03:48:49

Oh OP I feel your pain. In February the whole family had a round of horrid nasty colds and bugs. I'd just gone back to work after maternity so struggles in with a raging temperature and sore throat which resulted in laryngitis. I felt like death. My DH got it the following week but his wasn't just a horrid cold like mine. Oh no he had a viral infection with he believed sinusitis. sigh His was of dealing it wasn't to go to the doctor and get antibiotics which they wouldn't have given him anywAy because it was a cold ffs but to drink endless amounts of foul tasting lemsip and use endless tissues.

When I was 38 weeks pregnant we also both got a hacking cough. This combined with all day morning sickness and a ridiculously weak bladder meant I was pretty grumpy. He had the nerve to tell me it was worse for him as he had to go to work. death stare

Love him really grin

Rockelburger Mon 04-Jul-16 04:13:52

They really are much worse at being ill than us. Imagine if they had to deal with pregnancy! We'd never hear the end of it hmm

MinnowAndTheBear Mon 04-Jul-16 05:23:58

I feel your pain OP. The day after I gave birth my DH felt so POORLY he is a grown man apparently but still uses the word poorly he needed a three-hour nap. I just couldn't appreciate how tired he was...

Flossiesmummy Mon 04-Jul-16 05:24:59

He's now been sick definitely nothing to do with double the recommended amount of lemsips and is wanting sympathy.

I've been awake since 2:30 because of him and I'm bloody struggling to find even an ounce of the stuff.

Give. Me. Strength.

angry

doesntmatterwhoyouare Mon 04-Jul-16 06:07:24

On a serious note Lemsip are paracetamol and he really shouldn't be overdosing on it esp if he is taking other medications as well e.g. Cold and flu tablets can also have paracetamol in them.
Personally I tell my OH go to the doctor or it doesn't count as far as illness goes. And when I was pregnant he had more sense than be whinging about a cold or waking me up for any reason other than a house fire. grin

acasualobserver Mon 04-Jul-16 06:22:29

Lemsip is a complete rip-off. Its two active ingredients, paracetamol and a decongestant , can be bought separately for pennies. If you have a lemsip version that also includes caffeine, you can reproduce the effect by taking your paracetamol and decongestant with a cup of tea.

LavenderRains Mon 04-Jul-16 06:49:41

brew for you op.

This morning 'D'H is lucky to be alivewink
we are going away, not leaving the house until mid day but at 6AM he decides to start his packing!!!! Waking me up in the process and then wonders why I'm moaning. I packed last night but he was too tiredhmm
DD who is house sitting says I should LTB.

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 04-Jul-16 07:15:26

Sorry this did make me laugh. I used to love that advert a few years back where a dh was ill and the woman got a load off praying monks to hold s vigil at his bed side ( it was a cold ) flowers these are for you. I hope you feel better soon x

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 04-Jul-16 08:34:51

I hear ya, OP. My DH is exactly the same, only he has this annoying little cough thing he does, like it's far too painful to cough properly and all his shoulders shake because he's in absolute agony hmm

He also has a tendency, when he's ill, to drift in and out of consciousness i.e fall asleep and then wake up again.

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 04-Jul-16 08:47:26

He also has a tendency, when he's ill, to drift in and out of consciousness i.e fall asleep and then wake up again. grin

SnakeWitch Mon 04-Jul-16 08:54:32

I would say just bump him off but he might be kinda useful in the coming weeks grin

Hope you're both fighting fit holding a lovely newborn soon!

Flossiesmummy Mon 04-Jul-16 08:57:58

He also has a tendency, when he's ill, to drift in and out of consciousness i.e fall asleep and then wake up again

Ha! Love this.

He's being a lot more reasonable this morning thank goodness. I may give our marriage another shot wink

Mcchickenbb41 Mon 04-Jul-16 09:40:42

This is why women have the babies !! smile

KanyesVest Mon 04-Jul-16 09:52:34

Ds is almost 4 and is a full blown man-martyr already hmm. He fell at the playground yesterday and I contemplated amputation to cure all of us him of his limping, whinging, gurning agony. Dh always manages to be one day sicker than me. He doesn't get expect any extra TLC, but will huff and puff at the children about needing peace and quiet to recuperate.

Hope you're on the mend, op flowers

Flossiesmummy Mon 04-Jul-16 11:05:53

My DH has now managed to put some trousers on. This shows excellent progress. grin

OohMavis Mon 04-Jul-16 11:28:54

You're overdue?! Tell him he has to be well again right away because you're about to expel a human being from your uterus.

There's just no time for this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now