To ask for advice on deadlifting and erm weeing myself

(33 Posts)
catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:09:26

I've started weight training and I am really enjoying it.

However, when I deadlift heavy weights I wee a bit.

Today I lifted my heaviest weight yet (102.5kg so not too bad I don't think for a few months in) and did a full on wee on to the mats. I wanted the ground to open me up (trainer was a star and lovely about it but still)

I was wearing a tena pad due to less um gushing issues before but it went straight through it.

Does anyone else lift and have this problem and what do you do to help it? The weights are only going to up so I'm a bit worried sad And damp.

I do loads of kegels already. Trainer has said planking.

Any advice welcome as I am sooo embarassed and don't want to a) quit or b) require wellies to lift.

sandrabedminster Sun 03-Jul-16 16:10:58

Jiggle balls hun?

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:11:35

Jiggle balls?
<goes off to google>

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:12:46

Oh right. They might work! I assume I take them out for the gym?

<Has visions of weeing self and then jiggle balls crashing to ground>

RoganJosh Sun 03-Jul-16 16:14:13

Im pretty sure planking is on the list to avoid if your pelvic floor is at all dubious.

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:16:40

Oh....I'll have another google. . He did say planking but he could be wrong. I'll look into it.

I blame 9lb 7 DS and the enthusiastic forceps wielding man who yanked him out sad

Wolfiefan Sun 03-Jul-16 16:21:16

You may need to see a physio. I know you can think you are doing pelvic floor exercises but not be doing them properly.

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:24:46

I did wonder if it was worth bothering the GP with

I get a bit of leakage if I sneeze, can't go on a trampoline etc

Part of me thinks "Well it's normal after kids" but the rest of me thinks wetting myself in public is probably not something I should have to put up with

I don't want to waste a GPs time but I am considering going. Or tacking it on to a visit about something else maybe. Would a GP just tell me to put up with it?

OurBlanche Sun 03-Jul-16 16:25:08

And don't worry about your trainer. S/he will have seen it before, or read about it... it is included in training. I used to enjoy that module... makes the boys blush and often makes them seriously rethink why they want to be S+C trainers.

Vaginal cones are relatively cheap to buy... Kegel and Aquaflex seem to be the popular versions round here.

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:26:55

He was lovely about it. Said it happened all the time and much worse can happen too and he'd once vomited smile He was very professional. I was still mortified.

I'll have a look on line for the cone. And some waterproof pants

Mouikey Sun 03-Jul-16 16:28:59

Pelvic floor exercises or try the epi-no, it's for maternity but can be used for strengthening the pelvic floor too

Shiningexample Sun 03-Jul-16 16:30:34

afaik things like deadlifts and squats will maximise intra abdominal pressure especially if you go for heavy weight and low reps

imo the cost benefit ratio for most people stacks up better in the 8-12 rep range, it is possible to get massive benefits from strength training without using olympic lifts, if your trainer was that good I would expect him or her to suggest exercises that dont lead to stress incontinence problems.

I would also try and see a physio or some sort of expert about the pf problem, I know lots about strength training but nothing about pf problems ( I speak as a 50 year old lifelong lifter)

VertiginousOust Sun 03-Jul-16 16:30:44

My DM had pelvic floor issues for YEARS and finally went to the GP about it. She had a minor op which fixed the problem completely and since then she tells all and sundry about it because she so regrets putting up with it for so many years when there was a simple procedure to help. Definitely see your GP.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 03-Jul-16 16:33:02

I had issues and trainer advised squats and lunges, didnt do planks - trainer was lovely and showed some exercises for the pelvic floor too.

It really really helped.

Shiningexample Sun 03-Jul-16 16:33:06

Said it happened all the time and much worse can happen too and he'd once vomited

that doesnt mean it's a good idea to push your body in a way that leads to incontinence!

OurBlanche Sun 03-Jul-16 16:35:17

Oh, he sounds like a great trainer. And if you want to know how toe curlingly horrendous it can be:

I remember team teaching, me with my olympic lifting certificate and one biiiiiiiiiiig professional rugby player demonstrating squat lifts, me the prefect technique in slow motion, stop start, with an empty bar; him the realities with heavy weights.

He lost the contents of his bowels... didn't flinch... finished the move, replaced the bar, kept on talking as he reached for the blue towel and sanitiser spray... he did a great explanation of why there was a nappy bin in the corner and what their responsibility was, should anything similar happen to them.

I was forced to join in and add details about other unusual dangers of high protein diets. He did say afterwards that he had never been quite so mortified.

I think those classes are the only thing I miss about teaching smile

catgirl1976 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:35:19

Hmm we have been doing big weights and low reps (doubles)

I used to do low weights and loads of volume and had no issues there. Maybe I need to go back to that He is a powerlifter if that makes a difference. I don't want to compete or anything like that, just be fitter, stronger and a bit leaner so maybe these big (to me anyway) weights are not the way forward.

I think I will see the GP in anycase as the sneeze and wee is not much fun sad

OurBlanche Sun 03-Jul-16 16:47:07

It depends on if you like the lifting you are doing. Hi/Lo isn't necessarily a bad thing... and if he vomited that would be because he was pushing himself beyond fitness levels of training, for a comp, maybe.

Seeing your GP is a good idea though, if you are worried about it.

Birdsgottafly Sun 03-Jul-16 16:52:23

I'd see your GP. If the system is the same Nationwide, you'll be referred to a continence clinic.

I found out that I had an anxious bladder and was put on tablets. They helped.

I was given a series of excercises and the next step was to see the physio, but I've been seriously ill.

I've come off the tablets that I was on and my bladder isn't as bad as it was, even now.

The continence Nurses that I saw, told me that it is a part of having children, it was completely recoverable. Women just put up with it, longer than they should have.

I used to lift and what prompted my visit was that I couldn't do the exercises/hobbies that I wanted to.

Finding a long top to cover up the fact that I was wearing heavier tenas, was a pain.

TheWitTank Sun 03-Jul-16 16:56:21

Also suggest seeing your GP for advice. I lift heavy and I haven't had the same issue as you have, but trust me, I have seen puking, retching, snot, drool -the lot. Your trainer sounds lovely. Well done and glad you are enjoying it! Don't be put off.

Shakey15000 Sun 03-Jul-16 16:56:37

Definitely see your GP and get examined. To rule out a prolapse (common after birth trauma, even years down the line) and to check pelvic floor. But sorry, I don't think that type of strain on your nethers is great, especially as you're having continence issues. I'm a prolapse veteran btw

Branleuse Sun 03-Jul-16 17:04:19

you need to speak to your gp really. They will refer you further. It isnt normal and it can be treated. Dont just suffer it x

londonmummy1966 Sun 03-Jul-16 17:10:36

There is a great thread on this on the health and fitness section where a women's health physio has loads of advice - mainly but not exclusively for runners. I've found her help really useful - in particular knowing that the 10 second "squeeze" triggers a reflex which stops you wetting yourself. Look at that -but the main message you will take from it is that this is something you should be seeing your GP about as there are lots of things that can be done to help.

Shiningexample Sun 03-Jul-16 17:12:09

I get the impression this kind of thing is seen as a badge of honour in some circles
a kind of machismo thing tied up with pushing yourself beyond normal limits
also to do with being competitive and pushing yourself to extremes

londonmummy1966 Sun 03-Jul-16 17:15:47

THread you need is this one

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/1945070-Running-with-poor-pelvic-floor-what-is-your-solution

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now