aibu to expect a free lid!

(81 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:49:52

a few months ago i bought a candle from The White Company - a big one at £55.
(yes i know. )

i bought the lid for an additional £12.
(Yes i know!)

today i went to replace the candle to find theyve changed the shape entirely and now the old lid wont fit - they offered me a new one at a cost obviously!

i declined,

ive emailed them asking for a new lid. this is just a cynical marketing ploy isnt it? new shape - causes you to spend more money on a new lid?

if your daft enough.

i dont usually spend £55 on candles......i got vouchers for a birthday present. had a horrible week in which i lost my baby at 13 weeks and thought id treat myself.
please dont tell me what a prick i am to spend £55 on a candle. horrible week and all that. really dont need judgement on that score.

AIBU to expect a free lid considering ive only just bought the bastard thing?

ive told them i wont be buying anything else....unless they oblige. up to them clearly. what do you reckon my chances are?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 02-Jul-16 23:01:32

Why does a candle need a lid?

Genuine question.

CantChoose Sat 02-Jul-16 23:01:41

YANBU at all. I think your chances are pretty high tbh, seems really churlish of them not to give you a new lid when the cost to them will be negligible and you understandably feel a bit cheated.
No candle shaming from me - I love a fancy candle smile

fuzzywuzzy Sat 02-Jul-16 23:03:57

Need a lid to stop it getting dusty?

Farmmummy Sat 02-Jul-16 23:07:12

Definitely not being unreasonable, I would expect you will win this one based on similar previous retail type battles. Also sorry for your loss I lost twins at 13,5 weeks and if you treated yourself to a £55 candle plus lid to help they can bloody well give you a new lid!

CakeNinja Sat 02-Jul-16 23:07:57

No judging from me, I also spend money on candles!
But I would be annoyed, and also don't really see why it needs a lid.
I have bought candles in the past which come with lids, all fine. I wouldn't spend extra on one I don't think.
Not sure of your chances but at least you've asked.
Sorry about your loss April, when I suffered my first loss, I bought a frivolous set of saucepans - bizarre purchase I know! I was just a bit numb for a while and thought, 'fuck it, it's only money'. flowers

OlennasWimple Sat 02-Jul-16 23:08:40

Hmmm, if you had got a new candle because there was something faulty with the original purchase, YWNBU. But of course they have marketing schemes which make you spend more money - that's how they make a profit confused

I'm not sure why they owe you a free lid, TBH

OlennasWimple Sat 02-Jul-16 23:09:38

But flowers for your loss (my post was harsher than I intended, sorry)

stopfuckingshoutingatme Sat 02-Jul-16 23:14:27

And Yanbu at all to treat yourself after a loss - not at all . I hope they replace that damn lid ! My friend got me a white company candle after dad died I sincerely hope it did not cost her £55 it's HUGE ?

ThinkPinkStink Sat 02-Jul-16 23:16:29

Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

Secondly, you are being a weeny bit U - but it's certainly worth a try. I'd like to think the White Conpany would have enough sense to keep their customers happy in these types of grey areas.

If I were them, and I received a politely worded email stating your disappointment, I'd pop a lid in the post to you.

Was it the exact same candle (scent and range?).

Oh and no need to excuse your candle spending, you can spend your cash on whatever you choose (I also spend a terrifying amount on candles).

noeuf Sat 02-Jul-16 23:16:59

I'm confused, you bought a candle and is, used all the candle up and went to replace it. The design has changed so the old lid wouldn't fit the new design? I'm not sure why you would get a free lid?

MountainDweller Sat 02-Jul-16 23:31:04

I'm confused as to whether you were returning it for a replacement because you changed your mind, or replacing it because you liked it and used it? If the former they should take the lid back as well. If the latter, it would be a nice gesture for them to give you a new lid, but don't know if they will. It would have been nice if they'd had a sign up saying they were about to change the design and perhaps selling the lids off cheap! Sorry not much help but sorry for your loss flowers

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 02-Jul-16 23:31:46

Why do candles need a lid?

Benedikte2 Sat 02-Jul-16 23:45:51

Seems a rip off wanting an extra £12 for the lid, especially when you have the previous design lid which is now useless.
I can understand your need to cheer yourself up with a somewhat frivolous purchase. Such a difficult time and so many people regard miscarriage as less heartbreaking than it is. I hope things work out for you in the near future and good luck with the White Company

ThinkPinkStink Sat 02-Jul-16 23:48:17

The candle/lid thing, I like lids for a few reasons:

1. When you blow them out you can whack the lid on quickly to stop the room smelling of smoke (obliterating your lovely candle scent)

2. Candle wax can get a sticky residue (general house dust) if left for too long uncovered, even more so if it's a highly perfumed candle (so the wax is oilier)

3. It looks neat and allows you to stack candles

4. This is probably idiocy, but I always think it stops the scent leaking out - keeping the candles fresher and the scent strong

Crunchymum Sat 02-Jul-16 23:49:45

Another one confused about the whole candle / lid issue.

laurenwiltxx Sat 02-Jul-16 23:51:51

I think it needs a lid as they are rather large and will last a long time so to save the scent and prevent dust and grime smile and yes if it the same candle I think they will send you one to keep good customer relations

AprilSkies44 Sun 03-Jul-16 00:24:21

thank you for not judging my frivolity.....i really dont usually spend that kind of money on candles.

the lid thing - its just to keep scent in and dust out i suppose - and yes its the exact same scent - just theyve changed the size so the original lid i bought no longer fits. they sold me the lid saying id never need to buy another....
well clearly thats not true when they go and change the sodding design of the pot it comes in so it no longer fits. it used to be a flatter 4 wick candle and now its a less flat 3 wick candle.
woman in shop said they did it without telling them.....but cant see what difference that makes.

so now got a useless £12 lid. i was a bit miffed and uninclined to spend a further £12 just cos theyve changed the shape.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sun 03-Jul-16 00:27:10

Have you looked on ebay or amazon for ye olde style candle which would accomodate your lid??

ilovemakkapakka Sun 03-Jul-16 08:48:01

If they actually said you will never need to buy another then you definitely have a case, it's misrepresentation, even if inadvertent

TrulyTrulyTrulyOutrageous Sun 03-Jul-16 08:58:12

I agree with pink. Good candles need a lid.

OP I invest in good candles, no judgement and beautiful way to reflect on a loved one X

Hope they give you a lid.... How much is the lid at cost? Just wondering...

JessicaRabbit3 Sun 03-Jul-16 09:03:04

Have you tried the Yankee candles they come with a lid no extra cost be there's plenty of scents to choose from for a fraction of the cost of you don't get anywhere with this company. So sorry to here about your loss flowers

glueandstick Sun 03-Jul-16 09:18:43

Try their outlet stores and stock up on candles.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 03-Jul-16 09:19:08

Yankee candles are for the most part rancid though Jessica. It's why they're so cheap.

glueandstick Sun 03-Jul-16 09:29:15

I'll agree with the Yankee candle. They make me feel a bit sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now