Looking for rental properties

(8 Posts)
Unicorn1981 Sat 02-Jul-16 18:47:34

Have spent all day looking for a house to rent in Birmingham. Relocating from London. We have seen so many rubbish places. Do landlords think it is ok to offer a place for rent with damp everywhere and mould all over the ceiling? I felt so sorry for this guy who had mould all over his bedroom. Do they think anyone would actually pay to rent it in that state. It wasn't cheap either? And a couple of places had gone and we were just waiting for the agent to turn up to show is round. They hadn't even let us k own until we called them. Feeling very down. Please tell me there are nice houses out there!

Ellioru Sat 02-Jul-16 19:34:57

Unfortunately it happens! Half my bedroom and bathroom turns into a mould party during winter, but "oh we can't do anything about it".

I went with a friend to a house viewing, we got there and there was TONS of trash outside the house as well as inside and the Agent acted confused when we got back in the car and drove off!!

stabbytheunicorn Sat 02-Jul-16 20:28:07

I live in Birmingham and rent. There are nice places, with decent LLs. Where r u looking to rent?

Unicorn1981 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:09:05

Hi didn't mean to offend anyone. I too have struggled with mould and damp. I just felt bad for the guy and annoyed you don't see these things on the pictures. We are looking south of Birmingham. Kings Heath, cotteridge, Kings Norton kind of area.

PinkyofPie Sun 03-Jul-16 14:34:35

YANBU.

We bought after renting the most disgusting house for a few years. It had rot, damp, 30 year old carpets, hideous decor and paid £50 a month less than we do for a mortgage on a modern house with 1 more bedroom in a better area. At the time it's all we could get, so depressing.

Have you looked around any new builds?

stabbytheunicorn Sun 03-Jul-16 14:59:54

Not far from me then. There is a Facebook page that has lots of landlords renting in south brum. Have a search for "private rentals in Birmingham and solihull"

Scrubbydubby Sun 03-Jul-16 21:09:52

YANBU

So many rogue landlords around and renting is so expensive.
Hope you manage to find somewhere decent.

Unicorn1981 Mon 04-Jul-16 22:54:50

Looked round some more properties today and they were much better. One said no kids though as it was so done up. I'd have been scared to live there to be honest. One was really nice but a bit old fashioned but it was so smart and looked after I could live with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now