To think that DS can vote whatever he wants

(21 Posts)
NoUsernamesIWant Sat 02-Jul-16 13:37:17

He's 19 and voted leave. DH voted remain. He thinks because DS is in his house he should vote the same..... AIBU to think that DS is an adult with a right to vote WHAT HE WANTS.

ps. sorry for banging on about the referendum still... please hide this thread if it annoys you.

AyeAmarok Sat 02-Jul-16 13:39:52

Another EURef thread in AIBU? FFS.

There's a whole topic for this you know.

TheNaze73 Sat 02-Jul-16 13:39:52

YANBU. Your DH is being a grade A twat if he thinks otherwise

MollyTwo Sat 02-Jul-16 13:40:33

There's a topic dedicated to this.

branofthemist Sat 02-Jul-16 13:45:19

Yanbu.

But I remember mum voting liberal democrats one year (probably about 20 or so years ago) because while she lived at home she was told she must vote labour. Her parents then told her when she married dad and they bought a house together she must vote what her husband did. Which was the Tories.

After a while she mentioned to dad that she voted Tories because she had been told she had to vote the same as him and he laughed. He had no idea she thought that. So she liberal democrat in rebellion. Nana and grandad were furious.

So I do think it's not that long ago that people did do this. I can't believe people still think it's ok to think they can force their children to vote a certain way. I thought this thinking had long gone.

tibbawyrots Sat 02-Jul-16 13:46:30

Your son has one vote as does your husband. My OH believes he knows how I voted but I haven't told him how I did vote. That's between me and the ballot box.

OwlinaTree Sat 02-Jul-16 13:47:28

There's a reason why it's a secret ballot. So you can vote what you like. Does your dh think you should vote what he thinks too?

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 02-Jul-16 14:36:20

I dunno, I feel this one does belong in AIBU as it's not strictly about the politics.
Yes, YANBU.
Each person has one vote, and no-one should be allowed to control or influence anyone else's.
Of course DH can disagree with DS' vote, but he has no right to tell him what to vote.

Pinkheart5915 Sat 02-Jul-16 14:41:25

Of course your ds has the right to vote what ever way he wants.

There is a whole topic for this and I think how people voted and X,Y don't like it has been done to absolute death.

<hides another one>

toconclude Sun 03-Jul-16 00:29:20

Of course he can. He's a fool who has just shot his own future in the foot, though.

FurryLittleTwerp Sun 03-Jul-16 02:15:26

I & DS18 voted Remain. DH voted leave & hasn't stopped gloating yet

This is the first time I've voted differently to DH, not because I've done what he does, but because previously we have concurred.

AgentZigzag Sun 03-Jul-16 02:26:43

This isn't about the referendum though is it? This is about one adult thinking they've got the right to force their opinion on another adult.

How exactly did your DH propose making your DS vote the way he thought he should?

What's made you post about it, surely it's irrelevant now? Have they been arguing about it tonight?

I'm betting this isn't the only friction between them.

RandyMagnum Sun 03-Jul-16 08:52:12

Your husband is a knob.

Nanny0gg Sun 03-Jul-16 10:02:41

Do you have to vote the way you're told?

MorrisZapp Sun 03-Jul-16 10:08:58

If the Scottish indyref taught me one thing it's the importance of the secret ballot. It beggars belief to me when people say 'oh I can't vote x, Steve would kill me!'

Unless Steve sits on your shoulder in that ballot box, he does not know how you voted. The penny dropped for me. I wonder historically how many wives/adult children/employees have been told how to vote by someone else.

With our sacred secret ballot, even the most cowed or biddable person can make their own voice heard.

snowy508601 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:15:30

I think people are missing the point.Of course your ds knows his dad can't find out (although it is a misunderstanding that the ballot is secret- it is not !the ballot papers are numbered and in the days of the cold war it was checked who had voted for communist parties.)
The point is that the OPs DH feels he has the right to 'use' his DS's vote as well as his own by dictating which way he should vote

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 03-Jul-16 10:56:59

toconclude
Of course he can. He's a fool who has just shot his own future in the foot, though.

Could you provide supporting evidence for this?

snowy508601 Sun 03-Jul-16 11:12:12

He's a fool who has just shot his own future in the foot, though

in YOUR opinion!

OwlinaTree Sun 03-Jul-16 14:38:21

snowy well yes, but it's unlikely the op's dh is privy to the relevant info needed to trace his son's vote. If he is that's the biggest drip feed ever!

PortiaCastis Sun 03-Jul-16 14:42:49

Does your husband dictate to you how to vote as well?

Topseyt Sun 03-Jul-16 16:13:11

He cannot dictate how DS chose to vote.

Does your DH view which way to vote as a family decision? Families can be divided too. DS does not have to agree with his parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now