to be fed up with people telling me I'm skinny

(11 Posts)
itwasmuchbetter Fri 01-Jul-16 16:48:59

I started running about a year ago and as a result have lost about 2 stone and massively toned up. I absolutely love the exercise and life feels good except for people telling me how thin I am practically every day. I am still in healthy BMI, feel full of energy, DH and my parents think I look good. I eat like a horse and am offended by references to anorexia. TBH it is affecting my self confidence and I do worry people think I look disgusting.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 01-Jul-16 16:50:16

I bet you look great and they are just jealous

I'd pull them up on it though. It's rude. Would they say the same if you were fat/overweight? Rude

usual Fri 01-Jul-16 16:51:05

Tell them they look fat, see how rude they think that is.

HotNatured Fri 01-Jul-16 16:52:21

Jealousy. Pure and simple. Pay no attention

Awkwardas Fri 01-Jul-16 16:52:58

Im a runner too & get this too. I think it's just a matter of people getting used to the new thinner you then they might stop commenting. Try not to take offence I always just say 'thankyou!' with a big smile. Hold Your head up highit's, a fantastic hobby & I love it! As long as you know you eat well hats all that matters!

WorraLiberty Fri 01-Jul-16 16:55:16

Just roll your eyes and try to ignore them.

I get the same thing but it bothered me much more as a teenager.

As a now 47 year old, it doesn't bother me at all but then again it probably happens a couple of times per year, not 'practically every day'.

Who are these people and why are they so rude?

SonicSpotlight Fri 01-Jul-16 16:56:27

The first time they mention it I'd tell them that you're a healthy BMI. If they keep it up I'd ask them why they're speaking to you like that.

WomanActually Fri 01-Jul-16 17:55:22

I get this too. I've always been slim and healthy and had comments from family and friends for as long as I can remember, no matter how well intended it did put a dent in my self confidence. I hated eating around others and ended avoiding meals out because someone would comment in the amount I was eating and my size. I felt embarassed to be honest. If I didn't order a big meal then it would be joked I'm annorexic and if I had three courses and went to the toilet at any point afterwards then they'd say I was bullemic.

The last four years have been really bad as I'm now underweight due to illness, I look like shit and my confidence is pretty low at the moment, friends, family and strangers commenting on my size does not help at all, ignoring is good advice but not so easy when it's family and I know if I made a big thing of it I'd be the unreasonable one for not being able to take a joke or I'd feel bad for upsetting them, sounds stupid I know but I can't bring myself to be rude back or comment on their weight in return as I know how hurtful it can be.

It's not everyday but its at least once a week and it's weird how a discussion on things like the weather end up with a comment on my weight "awwww bet you're freezing in winter with no meat on your bones" "if I was your size I'd be wearing dresses in this heat"

And the "real women have curves" annoys me, all women are real women regardless of size ffs.

biggles50 Fri 01-Jul-16 17:58:08

Say "thanks I really work hard at it."

Numberoneisgone Fri 01-Jul-16 18:05:58

Tbh I think this is a runner look but not in a bad way. My DB is an avid marathon runner. He got quite sick and lost a fair bit of weight which he did not need to lose and all his running colleagues were green with how lean and fit he looked not realising that he could barely run at the time. Lots of my really good running mates look extra lean and fit too. Take it as a compliment.

Numberoneisgone Fri 01-Jul-16 18:07:18

When I say really good running mates I mean the ones who are really good at running btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now