being called 'girl' when im pushing 30

(113 Posts)
lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:20:11

ok feeling a little miffed right now! here i am all 28 year old of me, (admittedly i do look younger than my age. ) stood waiting to be served by a woman in superdrug probably mid 40's herself she turns to her collegue and says i'll be back in a mo', going to serve this girl GIRL? GIRL? aibu to think she sees me as a child i certainly would refer to someone over the age of 16 as a girl let alone a woman of 28. im starting to think now when im out with my two kids in tow what looks i must get. aibu to be conpletely offended by this?

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:21:11

*wouldnt over age of 16. not would. damn phone and elephant fingers grin

OneDayIWish Thu 30-Jun-16 18:23:55

I'd take it as a compliment that she saw you as a girl.

Purplemonkeydishwasherpimp Thu 30-Jun-16 18:24:20

I'm 28 and get called girl I don't really think much of it, its just another word for a female in my eyes.

WorraLiberty Thu 30-Jun-16 18:24:25

Do you always take things so literally?

I went to drag my wheelie bin down the path yesterday and the binman came up and said, "That's ok girl, I'll do it".

It's a perfectly normal colloquialism around here and has nothing to do with age.

If she'd said, "You alright there duck"? would you have assumed she thought you had feathers and went 'quack'? grin

KateLivesInEngland Thu 30-Jun-16 18:25:04

I have Seen people flamed on here for a lot less grin
But I must admit to referring to women as girls sometimes. Just depends when and who to. I have a group of friends ranging from 25-45 and we all refer to each other as 'us girls' or 'the other girls' depending on context. I'm 33 and I wouldn't be offended if s stranger said it to me.
I might think twice about using it in a professional capacity though.

scurryfunge Thu 30-Jun-16 18:25:28

I get pissed off at this. I'm referred to at work as one of the girls. I am nearly 50. I have challenged it to be told "oh it's just a general term, don't be offended". Tossers.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 30-Jun-16 18:26:51

Surely it's just like saying your going out with the girls from work?

WorraLiberty Thu 30-Jun-16 18:27:40

I don't understand why any adult would be offended at being called one of the girls, or one of the lads.

But then there are many things I read on MN that I don't understand grin

Marynary Thu 30-Jun-16 18:28:13

Some women call anyone younger than them a "girl". My grandmother, when in her eighties, used to call women in their 70s "girls"!

Orda1 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:28:48

I don't like it either.

On the other hand a woman called me lady to her child yesterday and I felt about 40.

scurryfunge Thu 30-Jun-16 18:31:33

Worra, you'd probably have to work at my workplace to understand. It's a reference to being undervalued, junior and inexperienced. Quite an insult if you are not any of these things but still labelled because of your gender.

bigtapdancingpimp Thu 30-Jun-16 18:33:04

OP enjoy it while you can. Give it ten years and people will be giving up their seats on the bus for you grin

sonlypuppyfat Thu 30-Jun-16 18:33:49

I'm nearly 50 doesn't bother me

NikiSaintPhalle Thu 30-Jun-16 18:33:52

People seem to be curiously reluctant to use the word 'woman' - there was a recent thread about whether using 'woman' rather than 'lady' in similar circumstances was rude, and, bafflingly, for a lot of people it was.

In my bit of my home country 'girl', used as a term of address, is completely age-neutral - I will use it talking to my mother, who is in her seventies, as easily as to my teenage niece (and 'boy' is used in the same way to all male people), but I do think that some of the usages of 'girl' are quite odd. A friend of mine in her mid-40s is always talking about having done something with 'a girl from work', and I thought she meant some school-leaver intern until I realised she was talking about someone her own age who, when I actually met her, turned out to be the proud grandmother of two grin.

I always use 'woman' for any female person who's obviously an adult, and I think it's pretty condescending to think a woman should be flattered by being called a 'girl' - I mean, is vanity over your perceived youthfulness supposed to supersede a desire to be seen as an adult?

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:36:08

of course its another word to describe a female. buuut, i personally dont like it. i would never be rude or obnoxious about it. just personally dont like it. with friends of course you use the terms out with the girls, but in a shop .. no. i dont mind lady etc
because that is what i am. not a girl, girl to me implies very young

maxeffort0satisfaction Thu 30-Jun-16 18:39:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:39:18

in my neck of thr words girl used in the context it was used to me is exactly how scurryfunge described it,

maxeffort0satisfaction Thu 30-Jun-16 18:40:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BluePitchFork Thu 30-Jun-16 18:40:28

I hate being called a girl. it's so belitteling.
I wouldn't call a man boy either.
one of my pet hates.

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:40:38

ruffled feathers. grin

Cel982 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:41:17

Whether you like the term or not, it certainly doesn't mean she thought of you as particularly young or immature. Lots of people refer to women of any age as 'girls'.

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:44:19

perhaps yes, like i said i was polite and made no fuss, it was a internal sigh.

lalaroo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:46:04

bluepitchfork exactly!

VocalDuck Thu 30-Jun-16 18:48:45

I think there are far worse things to get worked up about and annoyed by.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now