to bring disinfectant wipes for the next plane journey I go on?

(84 Posts)
clicknclack Thu 30-Jun-16 17:24:06

Apparently a guy swabbed 6 tray tables and on 4 of them found MRSA and Norovirus. Travellers report seeing people pick their noses and wipe snot on seats/tray tables. People vomit on their seat and surroundings and parents change nappies on tray tables.

Feeling kind of grossed out now.

Note to self, do not read about such things before traveling.

Queenbean Thu 30-Jun-16 17:28:16

Bleugh. Think about all of that on any public transport. Plus door handles of offices and shops. Those creepy bed cushions in hotels. Banisters. Doorbells. Remote controls. Mobile phones. Shoes. Underside of bags.

They're all teaming with dirt and bacteria.

MrsJaxTeller Thu 30-Jun-16 17:29:44

I always have anti bac wipes in my bag and especially on planes. I always wipe down the trays and arm rests. It makes me feel ill when I see people taking their shoes off on planes too without socks on. God knows what's on those carpets!

clicknclack Thu 30-Jun-16 17:29:48

..and yes it is probably true that my handbag/purse/mobile phone has all sorts of germs on them but they are my muck if that makes any sense at all.

Tinklypoo Thu 30-Jun-16 17:30:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clicknclack Fri 01-Jul-16 00:48:50

oh that sounds just horrid. EWW

Want2bSupermum Fri 01-Jul-16 00:51:55

Planes are foul. I pissed off my PiL when I insisted they shower and change their clothes before coming near the newborn baby. I've had 3 now and it's been the same procedure for all 3 DC for both sides of the family.

GingerMerkin Fri 01-Jul-16 06:23:53

It's the toilets on aircraft that get me, not emptied between flights because of turn round times, BA admitted this to me when I asked. Germs agogo

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 06:31:28

m

Planes are foul. I pissed off my PiL when I insisted they shower and change their clothes before coming near the newborn baby

I'm not surprised they were pissed off.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 01-Jul-16 06:34:29

Planes are pretty foul. I live in China so always have wipes, hand sanitizer and toilet paper in my bag.

Truckingalong Fri 01-Jul-16 06:34:39

Planes are indeed gross but you can't wrap yourself in an anti bac bubble all the time.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 01-Jul-16 06:44:53

NU at all. They are vile - I have had the lady next to me change her baby's shitty nappy on the tray table and then eat her dinner off it 20 mins later. <boak> Also someone changed their baby's nappy on my chair when I was in the loo (although I complained and got moved that time as there was actual orange baby shit on my seat...)

I fly every other week at least for work. I found that I had constant colds or D&V a few days after a flight. It was really impacting on work so now I swipe everything down with Dettol (including those manky touch screens) and use sanitizer. I also use those seat covers in the loo (although that's mainly to avoid actual piss on the seat). It hasn't stopped me picking things up completely but it's definitely an improvement.

Cabin crew - no idea how you do it, but thank you! <salutes> grin

BeBopTalulah Fri 01-Jul-16 06:46:44

Phones, lift buttons, door handles, money etc. are all heaving... GOOD hand washing after toilet and before food is really the only thing healthy people need to do.

It's worth mentioning that one of the reason hospitals had so much trouble with MRSA was the overuse of disinfectants. Sterilising your surroundings is not a particularly healthy thing to do.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 01-Jul-16 06:47:53

You bastards! You've all ruined the holiday I'm going on next week!

britnay Fri 01-Jul-16 06:49:21

are there actually any baby changing facilities on planes?

Zippidydoodah Fri 01-Jul-16 06:55:15

Brit- yes, there's a tiny pull down table in the minuscule loo.

Silvercatowner Fri 01-Jul-16 07:01:41

I pissed off my PiL when I insisted they shower and change their clothes before coming near the newborn baby. I would think that was a little strange. Actually frankly weird.

seaviewplease Fri 01-Jul-16 07:02:15

Ewwww at the baby changing/eating/snot stories. Note to self: don't travel on a plane or train without wipes and hand gels. I've just had medical treatment which has reduced my white cells, therefore lowered my immunity to around zero. It's not always a case of "a few germs won't kill you", who's to make that decision?

Can I mention also the touch screen check in at our GP surgery? Yes there's hand gel for use after you've touched it (I use it before and after) but really? Coughs/sneezes/snot - it's gonna be plastered AND people justdon't wash their hands or use the gel. shock

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 01-Jul-16 07:03:35

Antibacterial wipes will do nothing to protect you from norovirus or other viruses sadly, you'd be better to just ensure you have good hand hygiene, regular thorough washing with soap and water.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 01-Jul-16 07:08:08

Just remembered that I also sat in a plane at Bangkok airport while it was "cleaned". They just ran around madly with a hoover, took all the shit out of the seat pockets and filled bags of rubbish from around the seats. I don't think the loos got any attention at all. Not a single cloth was wielded! Anyway that put paid to my foolish idea that they got a naice deep clean between flights grin

AlMinzerAndHisPyramidOfDogs Fri 01-Jul-16 07:12:32

Thanks for reminding me. Will stick some anti-bac wipes in my bag. I'm flying long haul tonight.
Urgh.

Only1scoop Fri 01-Jul-16 07:18:09

I fly for a living and have seen some shocking sights over the years but what still makes me feel completely Vom is the pax that queue at toilets often with their DC in BARE FEET it is so grim.

No it's not water on the floor from the sink,
it's most probably pee and the amount of pax that seem happy to stand bare foot in it and then walk around the filthy cabin carpet still makes my mind boggle.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Fri 01-Jul-16 07:18:15

YANBU especially on the Easyjet and Ryanair type flights which they run like a bus. There's no way those tables are all wiped in the time they unload and load.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Fri 01-Jul-16 07:26:58

Yes scoop - I actually pointed this out to a colleague and he said "meh - that's what the socks are for!" And then toddled off to the loo shoeless. Just grim....

Early in my pregnancy I got terrible sickness on a flight and was really torn between hogging the toilet for ages and vomiting in front of people in my seat (in a bag). The cabin crew took such good care of me, found an empty row, brought me blankets and sick bags and (when it was over!) ice cream and drinks. They were great. I could not do that job!

Zippidydoodah Fri 01-Jul-16 09:48:16

My mum was cabin crew and refused to deal with vomit! Think she just fluttered her eye lashes at the male stewards and got them to deal with it instead! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now