To think this person was taking the piss?

(21 Posts)
Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:00:41

Today a man approached me just as i got out of my car in a supermarket car park and told me i had been caught speeding (i admit i was going too fast 40mph in a 30mph zone) he told me the police were hiding in the car park behind the medical centre with a radar gun. He was laughing whilst he was telling me and wouldn't make eye contact and was walking away whilst talking loudly. I kind of laughed it off and said they are very sneaky and that i never seen them.
I was in there for around 5 minutes and i drove past the same place to see if they were actually there (sticking to the speed limit this time) and there was nothing there, i drove past twice each time there was nothing there.. You can see right into this car park, its very open.
I have spoken to my DM about it and she thinks that he may have been joking about it to try and scare me (he looked about 50?) she thinks as he is an older man he may have been telling the truth. If he was joking then its worked im terrified incase i have been caught (this will have been the first mistake i have made in nearly 4 years)
I know it is my fault and i am an idiot and i probably won't find out for another week so i will be sitting here panicking for ages and praying that everything will be ok

Queenbean Thu 30-Jun-16 17:02:41

He probably saw you and is having you on. No idea why his age has anything to do with.

Why were you speeding?

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:08:31

I don't what his age has to do with it, she thinks that as he's older he may be more mature?
I can't even tell you why i was speeding. I don't have an excuse, i am an idiot and i made a mistake i just hope he was having me on and was trying to scare me.

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:08:54

Know**

gaggiagirl Thu 30-Jun-16 17:14:19

Well, good. Weather he was lying or not, I'm sure that this will teach you a lesson.

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 17:23:28

It definitely has taught me a lesson! I guess i just have to wait to find out

ScarletForYa Thu 30-Jun-16 18:12:23

Why are you terrified? confused

You'll probably just get a fine.

JoJoSM2 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:18:01

Just don't speed next time.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 30-Jun-16 18:20:47

I don't know why people get all uppity when you mention someone's age, all your doing is add a bit of colour to your post

witchywoohoo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:29:49

I doubt that anything will come of it - the only time I have seen police out with the guns, they have cars further along the road to pull people over and issue the fine there and then. The only reason they wouldn't pull you over is if it posed a risk to other toad users - in those circumstances they will fine you by post, but this is generally a huge hassle. Also to be completely reliable, the gun has to be no more than 300 metres from the vehicle - so if the car park behind the medical centre is more than 300 metres from the road, I'd say he is having you on. Speeding does incur both a fine and points on your license.

witchywoohoo Thu 30-Jun-16 18:30:33

road users...not toad users!! grin

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 19:11:31

I think i was terrified because it hasn't happened to me before and my insurance possibly going up.
The more i think about where he said they were 'hiding' it wouldn't be possible to see a car coming from the direction that i was going.
My df mentioned a website that is linked on police scotland and it lets you know where speed cameras are located. I looked and there wasn't any cameras near there at that time of day just the usual spots (either end of the dual carriageway) it has calmed me down a lot but i will still keep an eye on the post. I quite liked having a 'clean' license and wanted to keep it that way, thankfully i have savings so i would be able to afford the fine if it came to that.

Redglitter Thu 30-Jun-16 19:14:06

If the police caught you with a radar you'd get stopped by them there and then. The fines that come in the post are from fixed cameras

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 19:29:14

I do feel he was taking the piss to try and scare me and it has worked. He was laughing whilst he was telling me.

shazzarooney999 Thu 30-Jun-16 19:32:12

You shouldnt have been speeding, 40mph is a lot in a 30mph zone,you should be ashamed of yourself really. not thinking he was taking the piss,maybe he gave you the kick up the arse you need to stop you speeding.

Beeziekn33ze Thu 30-Jun-16 19:34:50

Ok you got away with it, a learning curve!

stayathomedad Thu 30-Jun-16 19:37:05

Had postal one from police Camera hidden in van at location with poor marking (40<30 without warning) MIL and I got doneconfused

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:02:49

I know i shouldn't have been speeding shazzarooney999 i didn't even think he was taking the piss until i came home and spoke to my dm. What he was telling me didn't register until i was leaving and i then drove past twice to look and see if they were there and they weren't. I don't break the law every time i sit in the car.

I have made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes. I am thankful that nothing serious happened.

LadyDeadpool Thu 30-Jun-16 20:07:43

Don't speed and you won't have to be terrified even better you won't be risking peoples lives.

Friendofsadgirl Thu 30-Jun-16 20:13:02

AFAIK Traffic police with radar speed guns would stop you and issue a ticket on the spot.
I suspect he was just trying to get you to watch your speed.

Amy214 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:36:51

I haven't done this before and if im honest i wasn't watching my speed like what i normally do. I looked down and realised how fast i was going then slowed down by that time i was already approaching the turning for the shops (so would've drove straight past the camera)
I feel terrible and i haven't stopped thinking about what could've happened if someone just stepped out onto the road..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now