Is this an acceptable reason to ask for time out of school?

(19 Posts)
Lottielou7 Thu 30-Jun-16 09:52:30

This is more of a WWYD.

My daughter, who is in year 7 recently moved schools. She has been at her new school for 3 weeks and is loving it. Her old school contacted me to say that she won an award and could she come in to collect it because the head wants to present it to her. They also want her to see her friends. The problem is that they have asked for her to come at lunchtime and this would involve her missing school which I'm not happy about. The schools are about 30 minutes apart by car. I did ask if she could come at the end of the day but I was told there is a match.

I don't know whether to ask her current school if they would mind this because I don't feel it's fair to expect her to miss school tbh. OTOH, she's thrilled about winning the award and would obviously like to collect it.

What do you all think?

Shoxfordian Thu 30-Jun-16 09:54:22

As it's a one off and she won't miss that much school; I'd probably take her to collect the award

TheSparrowhawk Thu 30-Jun-16 09:56:53

It's the end of term, and the time off is for an academic award. Beyond illness or bereavement I can't think of a more worthy reason for missing school!

lalaloopyhead Thu 30-Jun-16 10:03:55

Agree with PP, it's a one off, it's nearing the end of term - I can't see a reason why not to do it to be honest.

MrsHathaway Thu 30-Jun-16 10:05:16

I think it's an activity that directly supports her education so it would be a yes from me - and I'm usually the one saying no.

MrsJayy Thu 30-Jun-16 10:05:55

Yes she should go if she wants to collect her award im sure new school would sanction that its just an afternoon

Crunchymum Thu 30-Jun-16 10:06:39

How much school will she miss?

(I assume as you mention car times someone will drive her there and back?) so she misses her lunch hour at school and half an hour either side?

SuburbanRhonda Thu 30-Jun-16 10:09:42

They also want her to see her friends.

Surely that's your DD's decision?

But agree with pp that she should go - and I manage attendance in my school.

Wolfiefan Thu 30-Jun-16 10:11:29

I would think that's fine. She isn't exactly going to miss days and days!

Lottielou7 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:13:37

Ok, hopefully it will be ok then - I feel better about asking now. She would probably just miss the afternoon.

Shouldwestayorshouldwegonow Thu 30-Jun-16 10:15:18

Of course op. She will remember it years to come.

MrsJayy Thu 30-Jun-16 10:16:20

Think how chuffed she will be to get her award

Justaskingnottelling Thu 30-Jun-16 10:23:41

Congrats to your dd OP. That's a big deal. I'd go, and hopefully the new school will sanction it.

Geoff0409 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:32:25

Hi Lottie
It's probably perfectly acceptable for you to do this and congratulations to your daughter on her award. Take her for a treat too.

Margrethe Thu 30-Jun-16 10:32:31

I think when it is education related, there is a code that schools can use for the absence which is considered acceptable. Something like being educated off-site.

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Thu 30-Jun-16 10:34:09

Old school is being a bit twatty IMO - I doubt they'd be impressed with one of their current pupils taking time out for this!

But hopefully new school will be understanding and you can make sure she gets the award in person.

user1465823522 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:35:40

At this time of the year and not being an exam year I doubt it would e an issue.

I'd personally just tell the new shcool and take her to the award.

Chances are the new school will be just as pleased about her award.

Talk to them about it.

user1467101855 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:37:44

I wouldn't ask, I would tell.

DartmoorDoughnut Thu 30-Jun-16 10:53:34

It seems reasonable to me but I'd ask your DD what she would like to do, she might not want to go back after all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now