for advertising an anti-fascist demonstration

(7 Posts)
corythatwas Wed 29-Jun-16 11:58:20

A DEMONSTRATION AGAINST RACISM AND FASCISM IS PLANNED IN SOUTHAMPTON AT 11 A.M. SATURDAY 2 JULY TO PROTEST AGAINST THE MARCH PLANNED BY THE FASCIST GROUP SOUTH COAST RESISTANCE FOR THE SAME TIME. WE NEED TO SHOW THESE PEOPLE THAT THEIR VIEWS ARE NOT SHARED BY THE MAJORITY OF OUR INHABITANTS. PLEASE JOIN US AT THE BARGATE AT 11 A.M.

OurBlanche Wed 29-Jun-16 13:32:37

Well... SHOUTING is a bit irritating.

Not adding the place to the title might have been a good idea.

But apart from those minor niggles... YANBU smile

I hope it goes off well, violence free.

OurBlanche Wed 29-Jun-16 13:33:04

Not

[proof reading is always good smile ]

corythatwas Wed 29-Jun-16 14:08:30

Sorry about the shouting; it was carried over (quite unjustifiably) from another thread where another poster seemed to have extreme deliberate? difficulty in understanding what I was saying. Apologies.

maninawomansworld01 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:59:57

I understand why people may want to participate but I am very against these marches / demonstrations / vigils or whatever the organisers decide to call them.

They usually end in trouble, they serve little purpose but to whip the participants up into a bit of a frenzy which can see normal sense go out of the window and goad the other side.

Even if the original organisers intend them to be peaceful and good natured they are often hijacked by trouble makers. Some of the behaviour I've seen at them has been truly atrocious. I was visiting my dsis in London a few years ago and was nearly caught up in those now famous 'anti capitalism' demonstrations riots . I am by no means a small defenceless man but I was not happy and was very relieved to get the hell out of there. Thankfully BIL knew the area well and got us away quickly.

More trouble than they're worth - if I were PM I'd ban the bloody things and shoot the ringleaders with rocksalt shells (if they were lucky).

OurBlanche Fri 01-Jul-16 07:44:14

I could possibly see a way to agree with that... if it weren't for all the times when a march has brought about changes that history deems vital and good... including Wat Tyler, The Levellers, Suffragettes, Storming the Bastille, Ghandi's Salt March, Berlin Wall, Tiennamen Square, Orange Revolution...

When your government fails you what are you supposed to do?

Banning them will do no good. An uprising is an uprising. And all the rocksalt shells, rubber bullets, rifles and even tanks won't stop them.

BeyondTellingEveryoneRealFacts Fri 01-Jul-16 08:07:28

Yanbu smile (apart from Blanche's little niggles)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now