AIBU in thinking there really is a lot of nastiness around at the moment?

(6 Posts)
honeyandmarmitesandwiches Tue 28-Jun-16 09:26:52

Maybe it's partly because of the referendum, or maybe I'm just noticing it more but it feels like the atmosphere generally, out and about at the moment is quite nasty.
This morning I thought I had a puncture, pulled off the main road into a side (residential) road and was just parking my car when a woman drove past and shook her fist at me mouthing something. I wasn't in the way, she probably had to slow down a bit I guess but other than that I have no idea what her problem was and I felt absolutely enraged and wanted to cry. Stupid really. It was just such pointless, maybe before people kept a lid on things and they aren't now?

This wasn't anything racism-related and I know there has been an upsurge in incidents of that but I'm wondering if it's happening more broadly.

Perfectly possible this was an isolated incident, I'm also feeling very sensitive atm, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced similar.

TheNaze73 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:39:38

I think there's a lot of pent up anger about our unjust society, stemming back years & it feels like the lid has blown off.
I hope I'm wrong but, it feels like the tipping point was either the unjust war in the Middle East & people are angry with successive governments that have failed them.
This is obviously only a feeling but, I'm really struggling to get my head around why people would've ever have voted out.

WorraLiberty Tue 28-Jun-16 09:48:45

That sort of thing happens every single day, right around the world.

However I think right now, some who are unhappy with the referendum result will probably put it down to that.

It was probably no different a week ago though.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 28-Jun-16 09:55:06

I think there is a blame it on Brexit atmosphere at the moment. I'm sorry you had the misfortune of crossing paths with a complete twat this morning. A man in Tescos car park alerted me to my flat tyre (I hadn't noticed and was about to drive off blush) and he got an electric pump out of his van and filled it for me so I could drive home.
There's still some good in the world.

Yoksha Tue 28-Jun-16 10:02:08

There's more good than bad out there. We as individuals just need to promote it & look for it. I admit there's a lot of pent up emotions spilling out.brewcake for you OP

GoblinLittleOwl Tue 28-Jun-16 11:25:52

I've been the recipient recently of two incidents similar to the one the poster experienced; middle-aged women blowing their horns and tapping their head to indicate 'screw-loose; one as I reversed from my drive, and the other when I was hesitating about the route in an unfamiliar big city. Both rude, but more to do with impatience, ( I may have slightly delayed their journey by a nano-second) than the referendum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now