To cringe at 'Pink Bump' and 'Blue Bump'?

(31 Posts)
pinkbumpbluebump Mon 27-Jun-16 02:00:43

I'm currently pregnant with a little boy, but before I knew, I'd be asked all the time "do you know if it's blue or pink?" It's neither blue or pink hmm or on the gender scan day "oh, you know if your yellow bump is going to turn blue or pink" no... It's not 'turning' and definitely not into a different colour.

Yep, I'm sweating the small stuff, but seriously!? Is it just me that's a bit confusedhmm

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 27-Jun-16 02:08:04

YANBU.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Mon 27-Jun-16 02:22:49

Yanbu, it's weird.

Why yellow? Why is everything "unisex" yellow or green?

ICJump Mon 27-Jun-16 02:26:36

I hate it! So very very much.

Just5minswithDacre Mon 27-Jun-16 02:57:32

YANBU. It's creepy and I don't think people can hear themselves or they'd die of shame.

SalemSaberhagen Mon 27-Jun-16 06:29:37

I'm interested to see if this will get to page 2 before someone tells you it's a sex scan, dontcha know.

SalemSaberhagen Mon 27-Jun-16 06:31:33

YANBU either. But why the name change for it?!

Mermaid36 Mon 27-Jun-16 06:32:09

It's actually an anomaly scan at 20wks. The fact that you can often see the sex of the baby is just a nice to have.
ok, there's the pedantic post

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Mon 27-Jun-16 06:34:37

I'm going to do it right now
Gender is a set of socially constructed norms which harm both boys and girls. You're completely right - 'gendering' bumps/foetuses by calling the blue and pink is revolting.
The scan at 20 weeks isn't a gender scan or a sex scan (foetuses have a sex, we impose a gender on them) it's an anomaly scan to check for health and development issues.

TheNaze73 Mon 27-Jun-16 06:42:13

YANBU.

KaosReigns Mon 27-Jun-16 09:27:53

Im clearly failing, my little girl is one week old and hasn't worn pink yet.

Heaps of blue though, because despite being overdue and a perfectly healthy weight no newborn clothes fit her. The only ones that come close are a three pack of boys ones I brought. Even the just in case prem outfit I got her doesn't fit.

Oysterbabe Mon 27-Jun-16 09:40:13

Not at bad as my friend proudly announcing on FB after her scan that she's having a princess.

pinkbumpbluebump Mon 27-Jun-16 11:12:00

Well, I did go private for a 'gender scan' just before the 20wks, so to me it was a 'gender scan'.

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 27-Jun-16 11:19:06

Yanbu. The pink/blue thing is just as annoying as the twats who point out 'it's actually a sex/anomaly scan, not gender' (always imagine it being said in a nasaly, Clare in the Community, know it all voice).

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 27-Jun-16 12:05:07

Urgh. I do get people ask 'What I'm having'. I say 'A baby, but I'd like a kitten'.

Mermaid36 Mon 27-Jun-16 12:45:30

November I had a maternity t-shirt that said "we're hoping for a unicorn" grin

EdmundCleverClogs Mon 27-Jun-16 13:15:15

Mermaid36 I almost bought this one (still tempted to get in in a baby vest grin)

www.redbubble.com/people/aryu/works/14932631-if-you-must-know-im-a-dinosaur?p=womens-relaxed-fit&style=womens-relaxed-fit&body_color=white&print_location=front

Notagainmun Mon 27-Jun-16 13:22:04

You know that people mean what sex are you having, so why be so petty?

pinkbumpbluebump Mon 27-Jun-16 13:33:04

Are you one of those people that say it then? grinconfusedhmm

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Mon 27-Jun-16 13:39:00

Sex=\=gender and I'm really not going to go into why it matters because I don't have time but it matters

EightNoineTen Mon 27-Jun-16 13:41:29

Yanbu. Didn't find out the sex of my DD until she was born to avoid the pink and blue crap.

Notagainmun Mon 27-Jun-16 13:42:56

No. Just not one of those who get worked up of trivial comments especially as people are only being polite. They probably couldn't care less what sex you are having.

PlugUgly Mon 27-Jun-16 13:44:36

I am with Notagaium, people are probably being polite and don't actually think your bump is as interesting as you do, lighten up ffs!

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 27-Jun-16 13:46:19

I like those, Mermaid, but I do cringe at the idea of birthing a unicorn smile

VioletVaccine Mon 27-Jun-16 13:50:55

Totally agree Notagainmun

A family member of mine went for a private gender scan at 18wks, made a point of saying it was 'just' for her and DH to know, and for everyone else it would be a 'lovely surprise for them' at birth hmm

They had 3 children, and nobody could really have cared less either way what sex dc was. People only ask out of politeness, not interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now