To miss nick Clegg and the coalition

(48 Posts)
Slutbucket Sun 26-Jun-16 14:47:53

The Tories are in disarray and they don't just seem to have got their act together since the election. How many budgets have not gone to plan and had to be rewritten since the election. I know they list confidence over the tuition fees but they went into the coalition for the best of the country.?where do we see that at the moment?

Slutbucket Sun 26-Jun-16 23:28:38

Shit I know how nick feels now! grin

megletthesecond Sun 26-Jun-16 23:33:10

Seems like a lifetime ago.

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Sun 26-Jun-16 23:33:16

I miss Nick Clegg and the coalition in much the same way that I miss the galloping Athlete's Foot that I used to have! YABU

nicolasixx Sun 26-Jun-16 23:37:54

I bet Dave does too! Coalition was perfect for the moderate cons; it shielded them from the worst of their own and the Lib Dems were on the whole a cooperative bunch. Look what's happened now confused

Pumpkintopf Sun 26-Jun-16 23:43:28

I miss them too...

MrsMook Sun 26-Jun-16 23:49:23

I thought the Lib Dems got an unfair hammering at the last election. Times would have been harder without their influence.

Slutbucket Sun 26-Jun-16 23:50:14

They did not support such a referendum in the previous parliament.

bakeoffcake Mon 27-Jun-16 00:05:49

I've missed them since the last election. The bastard Tories needed them to keep them in check. If Nick hadn't agreed to the increase in. Tuition fees, I think there'd still be a coalition, the they woueknt have had a referendum.

Bring back Nick.

Slutbucket Mon 27-Jun-16 00:08:15

I think George isnourne is missing Danny Alexander too. The last budget and autumn statement have been a bit of a shambles.

BreconBeBuggered Mon 27-Jun-16 00:14:05

I hate to say it but YANBU.

SwedishEdith Mon 27-Jun-16 00:15:27

I'd forgotten all about Danny Alexander.

PippaFawcett Mon 27-Jun-16 00:15:42

I miss them too.

CodewordRochambeau Mon 27-Jun-16 00:17:34

Yep, YANBU. I think the Lib Dems were very unfairly punished last year; history will judge them a bit more kindly, I suspect, and the wiping-out of the the parliamentary Lib Dem party has been pretty disastrous. Right now, more than ever, we need a pro-Europe centre-left option and the Lib Dems used to be that.

I would be interested in some kind of partnership between the moderate centre-left faction of the Labour Party and the rump of the Lib Dems.

CodewordRochambeau Mon 27-Jun-16 00:18:34

Nick would have been a good voice to have in the Remain campaign as a genuinely passionate Europhile. They obviously decided that the drubbing of 2015 was too recent and that he was too toxic.

GraceGrape Mon 27-Jun-16 00:20:43

A bit off track, but I just had a quick google and discovered that Danny Alexander is now "Sir Danny Alexander"! I missed that one...

I also think the Lib Dems got an unfair kicking. I quite liked coalition government. It's only since it ended that I think we can truly appreciate that the Lib Dems did hold back the worst of the Conservative policies.

Slutbucket Mon 27-Jun-16 00:28:45

He wrote a piece for the financial times and basically predicted the first three after Brexit. Tim fallon seems to talk sense when I've seen him and seems nice. (Not enough nice politicians.)

Slutbucket Mon 27-Jun-16 00:30:32

I'm glad about Danny Alexander getting an honour. He deserves it. He was the one wheeled out when George osbourne wanted to do a disappearing act!

bakeoffcake Mon 27-Jun-16 00:53:13

Ive always voted Lib Dem, I know people usually take the piss but I think moderation is the key to everything, including politics.

Clegg would have been great in this campaign.

JillyTheDependableBoot Mon 27-Jun-16 07:45:43

His predictions for post-Brexit were spot on. Some wit on my Facebook is calling him Mystic Clegg grin

BabyGanoush Mon 27-Jun-16 07:48:00

I want Clegg back too

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 27-Jun-16 08:29:34

There should be a referendum on this. Shall we bring Nick Clegg back? That's a yes from me.

nagynolonger Mon 27-Jun-16 08:45:57

No not really. They turned tory just for a seat at the top table.

Many politicians lie. We've seen plenty of that in the last few weeks from both sides. Nick Clegg is up there with the worst of them IMO.

Admittedly I will have two at university come September so maybe that colours my judgement.

Floisme Mon 27-Jun-16 08:52:54

Nick Clegg went into the coalition for the benefit of Nick Clegg. It's partly because of people like him that no-one believes politicians any more. Which is why we're now in this shitstorm.

So no thanks.

trixymalixy Mon 27-Jun-16 08:55:20

YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now