To ask what your favourite (quick) family dinner is??

(70 Posts)
SamWheat Sun 26-Jun-16 14:28:03

Looking for inspiration, somebody inspire me as I'm stuck in a rut of Bolognese and pizza (all they seem to want to eat lately!
What's your failsafe, everybody likes, dinner recipe?

BettyOBarley Sun 26-Jun-16 14:30:40

Special fried rice
(chopped chicken breast, bacon, frozen prawns, peppers, mushrooms, red onion, peas) fry it all up, chuck in a packet of microwave rice, an egg, bit of soy sauce and a few mini spring rolls in oven while it's cooking.

Tryingtostayyoung Sun 26-Jun-16 14:31:07

Tuna mayo and salad pittas with rice seems to be a fave over here at the moment

DisdressedDolphin Sun 26-Jun-16 14:32:23

Broccoli pasta bake, on the bbc website

Muddlewitch Sun 26-Jun-16 14:33:26

Lots of bolognaise/pasta dishes here too!

Fajitas usually go down well too, they chose what to put in them (I put a selection out) so everyone gets a meal they like.

Jacket potatoes with a (small) choice of toppings with salad and coleslaw is usually popular.

iamdivergent Sun 26-Jun-16 14:36:45

Spaghetti and meatballs with garlic pizza bread

Teriyaki chicken skewars and rice (Annabel Karmel family meal ideas cookbook)

Baked potatoes with whatever filling people like

puglife15 Sun 26-Jun-16 14:38:31

Stir fry using pre packed veg and cashew nuts with microwave brown rice. Takes 5 mins max. You could do it with chicken if you preferred.

Salmon fillets with veg (broccoli, carrots, peas) and rice or boiled new potatoes. Takes about 15 mins, or much less if you microwave the salmon and rice.

Jacket potato done in microwave and finished in oven - with tuna, beans, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber etc. 15 mins.

Burgers with sweet potato wedges and broccoli / peas. 20 mins.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 26-Jun-16 14:39:56

Turkey/ Chicken escalopes coated in Panko breadcrumbs then saved with salad/veg and baked potato wedges. It takes me 40 minutes from when the oven gets switched on.

RabbitSaysWoof Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:07

Slow cooker chicken korma.

WorraLiberty Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:13

Sausage and mash

Steak and chips

Special fried rice (using whatever meat we had on Sunday)

Toad in the hole

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:56

YY to salmon fillets or any other fillets too, easy and quick.

MrsHathaway Sun 26-Jun-16 14:41:13

Bacon pasta - revelatory.

Start boiling pasta.
Fry off bacon lardons in a little butter.
Quarter tomatoes and add to the bacon.
Drain pasta and add to the bacon and tomatoes.

CancelTheCheque Sun 26-Jun-16 14:43:08

Chicken kebabs. Diced chicken in a marinade of fruit juice, oil, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Works best if marinaded in the fridge but can also be cooked instantly if you throw the marinade in with it. Fry the meat and stuff in a pitta with some salad.

flumpybear Sun 26-Jun-16 14:45:43

So many !! Chopped chicken, chorizo, onion, garlic, peppers in roasting pot- oven for 30 mins ish - rice

Or

Mixed lamb and pork mince, Season, garlic and chilli, make into small round meat balls, brown off, add passata, more garlic and chilli, red wine and cook for 30 ish mins - serve with whatever you like !! Add cheese on top to make extra special!

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 26-Jun-16 14:46:28

Any fishy fillet thing
Any stir fry
I do a homemade Nandos with a spice mixture I concocted from looking at the back of a Nandos packet, chicken breast fillets, oven fries salad etc. Quick in terms of prep time and the family favourite at the moment.

BolshierAryaStark Sun 26-Jun-16 14:47:45

Jerk chicken with cous cous, salmon fillets rice & veg, chicken & jackets, pasta.

CremeEggThief Sun 26-Jun-16 14:48:09

Omelette and (bagged) salad leaves, scrambled eggs on toast, gnocchi or pasta and pesto with some avocado, olives, or quick cooking vegetables, and veggie hotdogs.

CremeEggThief Sun 26-Jun-16 14:50:11

Also tofu or Quorn chicken style pieces with straight-to-wok noodles, a sachet of sauce and frozen stir fry vegetables.

CremeEggThief Sun 26-Jun-16 14:51:33

All of the meals I have listed take 10 minutes or less.

OhTheRoses Sun 26-Jun-16 14:52:02

Stir fry, noodles and salmon fillets
Bag of Caesar salad, barbecue meats and tear and share bread
Gammon, egg and chips
Omolette, salad and bread and butter
Roasted cherry toms, basil, black olives, stirred through spaghetti with mozzarella, garlic bread and a side salad
Lamb chops, Greek salad, crispy diced potatoes.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 26-Jun-16 14:58:47

I would love ideas too

I tend to so stir fries with ready to wok noodles
Steak burgers and wedges
Thai curry
Sometimes I buy a cooked chicken and make sweet and sour

n0ne Sun 26-Jun-16 15:05:03

Fry off chopped chorizo, add onions, tomatoes, tinned chickpeas, cook for a bit, meanwhile make couscous with chicken stock (5 mins), add frozen peas to sauce just long enough to defrost and heat through, serve on the couscous. 20 mins tops.

murasaki Sun 26-Jun-16 15:08:19

spinach pancetta gnocchi bake.

While the gnocchi is cooking, fry pancetta, put in a bag of spinach to wilt in the frying pan, stir in tub of philly when wilted, mix in drained gnocchi, put in dish with grated parmesan on top, 5 mins in the grill.

20 mins top and v lush.

SamWheat Sun 26-Jun-16 15:14:45

Ooh, loads of great ideas here, thanks! Forgot broccoli pasta bake, that's another one they both love.
Getting harder to find something that they both like at the same time lately - you can guarantee what one likes, the other will suddenly decide they don't like it any more. hmm

DerelictMyBalls Sun 26-Jun-16 15:17:46

Smoked haddock fillets fried in butter on top of wilted spinach and a pack of those ready-to-eat puy lentils, warmed through with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now