prune juice. slightly TMI

(8 Posts)
iammamam Sat 25-Jun-16 20:43:49

I take iron tablets and eat a lot of iron rich food but I get anemic really easily---- if I don't
Most people know the effect Iron has on your body---- blush
So I drink prune juice to keep me regular

DH seems to think this is a weight loss thing and is telling me it's dangerous like taking regular laxatives you don't need to lose weight, I'm not using it to lose weight although I am working on losing weight

Is it dangerous?

iammamam Sat 25-Jun-16 20:46:44

I'm not sure why it's put lines though that confused

FurryLittleTwerp Sat 25-Jun-16 20:46:57

No - it's fruit juice, it's not a stimulant laxative.

AliceInHinterland Sat 25-Jun-16 20:51:13

My non-medical opinion is that it probably wouldn't help you anyway assuming you only have enough to beat constipation rather than to actually upset your stomach. It's also quite sugary so will leave you hungry so won't help weight loss. Chia seeds might be an alternative.

JinkxMonsoon Sat 25-Jun-16 20:54:19

Of course it's not dangerous.

Some people abuse laxatives (to purge themselves, in the same way people suffering from bulimia make themselves sick) but what you're doing is not the same thing.

If it works for you, carry on. You could also get Movicol on prescription (it's a stool softener) if you wanted an alternative.

FurryLittleTwerp Sat 25-Jun-16 20:54:27

linseeds are good too

SquinkiesRule Sat 25-Jun-16 21:10:12

Prune juice is fine, if you like it. It works better if slightly warmed.
I'm on a high dose iron too (another anaemic person here no matter what I eat), and eventually your body gets used to it, it doesn't bother me usually.
Another thing that works for some people all my kids is pure apple sauce, no sugar added, you can make your own just apples and a bit of water. Tastes delicious, and has a laxative effect on my family.

Nanunanu Sat 25-Jun-16 21:14:53

Oranges are good too

Or (tmi) too many cherries like I gorged on this morning and am now regretting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now